Why is PRI playing the finals in Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico FC' started by santeroatomico, Oct 6, 2008.

1. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    Can someone please explain?

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a damn good question that I wish I had an answer for. Doesn't seem right, does it? Nonetheless, I wish the Islanders all the best because I will be rooting hard for them. I've been a loose fan but the success in the CCL has really sparked my interest in the club.

3. MLS Wandering Fan

Jun 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I would also like to know. It must be a mistake; Puerto Rico finished first thus guaranteeing home field advantage throughout the entire playoffs. Vancouver does not deserve to host the final.

4. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes no sense.

Post count +1!

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Courtesy of YankiBoy...

This gives me a chance to take a shot at the STUPIDITY of USL management. Presidente Marcos and Vicepresidente Holt decided to SCREW Puerto Rico by having some farce of a bidding process and then awarding the USL1 final to Steve Kerfoot and Vancouver. I understand that they want to pay him back for everything that he has done for the league and stroke him just in case MLS says "Naaaah! Come back. Maybe later..." in response to his MLS expansion bid.

But please. Let's call it for what it is:
    it is a back door deal so that he can showcase the Whitecaps so that when they hope to see their prayers answered and MLS says "You're just not ready yet" they can rub his shoulder and whisper in his ear that they love him and the Whitecaps and that the franchise should stay somewhere that is is loved, respected and appreciated.

And if MLS says "come on aboard", they can claim that they took the high road and don't stand in thew way of any franchise's MLS dreams.

Meanwhile, Puerto Rico Islanders FC, the number 1 seed, Commisioners' Cup Winners, who (along with the Montreal Impact) are increasing the USL brand, putting USL on the radar from the Panama Canal north to Canada, who actually get press in Central America and Mexico--they get the SHAFT.

How stupid is that? We can't go to MLS. We are going to help be the future of USL1. We will be stuck there long after MLS has cherrypicked the best markets that the USL has to offer.

meanwhile Holt and Marcos keep blaming it on FSC or the logistics--that is a bunch of .... and they know it.

It's all about stroking Kerfoot.

6. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Actually, you bitter boys, it is about logisitcs and the costs to be burdened by Fox Soccer Channel/ Fox Sports World Canada.

They admitted (The USL and FSC/FSWC) as much.

FSC/FSWC broadcasts CCL games from there, but produces etc off site. all of the telecasts from Vancouver have on Site production, play by play etc.

Yes, you were screwed (coming from a Caps supporter who will be in attendance) and I feel for you, but whining and spewing nonsense is not the way to deal with it.

Get your facts straight.

7. santeroatomico

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    That is some big conspiracy theory but the truth is Corporate America (FSC) did not want to produce the game from PR. That is a FIFA job. (CCL)

8. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Man Atleast the mayor of bayamon is brodcasting the game for free in the baseball stadium next to the JRL, hsi one clasy dude!

9. VAComet85

VAComet85 Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a total outsider I would say PRI got totally screwed. And I don't care where FSC 'felt' like producing the game. PRI had the best record, got to the final and by any other standard they should get the final in their stadium OR it should be played at a neutral site. I feel especially strong about this after hearing that home teams went 11-0 in the playoffs.:eek: They might as well just signed the cup over to Vancouver last week.

This type of crap just adds more fuel to the 'mickey-mouse league' sentiments that many others carry about American soccer leagues.

Sorry PRI, but Congrats on a great run this season.

10. ForeverStuttgart1893

Sep 18, 2003
    Cleveland
    Playing at a neutral site would possibly be the stupidest thing the league could do. How may people would show up in Charleston to see Vancouver and Puerto Rico? How many people would show up in Minnesota?

11. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quoted for truth.

12. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Alot of Islanders fans are realy hurt by this and no matter the reason we all blame Holt and Marcus, this wound wont heal that easily.

13. santeroatomico

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    USL is a freaking Bush League. I am so mad. I though Swangard Stadium was a nice facility but is a tiny high school stadium. I hope Vancouver moves to MLS. The curse of the USL championship, every winner will move to MLS until USL is just a league of few crappy teams. They did PR wrong, very wrong. All home teams wer undefeated in the post season. They knew the odds were stack against the visiting team.

14. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Around 2,000 showed up to watch the team on tv in the bascketball stadium next to the JRL. I dont think any team save the Timbers could bring that much people together to watch the finals on a tv screen.

15. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL-1 brass = pricks. I really dislike the league right now, wish the Islanders could join MLS to get out of this crap league.

16. ForeverStuttgart1893

Sep 18, 2003
    Cleveland
    Would all of you be bitching so hard if PR got the final and Vancouver was the #1 seed?

17. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    But they weren't, if you don't like it get out of our fricking sub forum.

18. ForeverStuttgart1893

Sep 18, 2003
    Cleveland
    You just proved my point. You aren't upset at the system. You're just mad that you got screwed.

19. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    It was a pathetic decision that undermines the league's credibility.

20. santeroatomico

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    You woul have to ask Vancouver.
    The problem is that the league knew that there is a good chances the home team was going to win the final and they did not want that team to be PR.

21. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Yes im pissed because the system screwed us

22. ForeverStuttgart1893

Sep 18, 2003
    Cleveland
    What proof do you have of this bias against PR? Because you think the refs were bad against Rochester? Man, all USL refs suck. The fact is that the USL uses a bidding process. You can keep coming up with all of these conspiracy theories of how the league hates PR, but you have absolutely no proof. Charlotte was the #1 seed in the USL but they didn't host the final. Did the league not want Charlotte to win?

23. santeroatomico

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    The bidding process is the problem. It devalues the regular season and makes the league like a money monger. The only thing PR did not offer was to share the ticket revenue. I am pretty sure the logistics iclunded languaje, weather, fans among other things. As a team why would you care about winning it all in the regular season. if the game is going to the highest bidder. If the game would have been in PR there would have been 12K not 5K witnessing the game. I hope Vancouver makes the jump to MLS and them Montreal to see who USL brass is going to kiss up to.

24. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    WTF? Vancouver would then be the ones bitching What point are you trying to get at????:confused:

But it was the system that screwed the Islanders

25. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Esta es la fanaticada que vale!!!

[​IMG]