Why is Mexico still ahead of us?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SJEarthquakes, Aug 6, 2004.

1. SJEarthquakes

SJEarthquakes New Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Boston Area
    There are new FIFA rankings, and we've dropped to 10, but Mexico is still 2 spots ahead of us? WTF?!?!?! We've beaten Mexico several times now and yet FIFA is still sucking up to them!

2. Raider Red

Raider Red Member

Jul 30, 2002
    Dallas
    There are over 200 other countries in the world, including Brazil and Argentina, both of whom have lost to Mexico.

Read more, post less.

3. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i use to get mad when i saw mexico ahead of us, but then i realized that fifa rankings are pure bull. they are really stupid and are not worth looking at.

4. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. The idea that the US is in the top ten, and ahead of teams like Italy, is ridiculuos. But you won't find people starting threads about that.

Also, while Mexico has turned into our whipping boy, they seem to be the only decent country we can beat. They beat teams like Brazil in competition. We struggle against teams like Poland and Haiti.

5. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two words: Copa America

6. McKinney_Burn

McKinney_Burn New Member

Jan 13, 2003
    Pizza Hut
    Two more: Who cares?

I think we all know we stand against El Tri. Hopefully our good fortune will continue in the hex, since those numbers matter most.

7. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    We are better than Mexico...

8. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    Oh Jeebus! :rolleyes:

I take it you haven't investigated these rankings of which you speak. Surely if you had, you would never have posted such an ill-informed diatribe--setting you up for ceaseless mocking (not to mention a poor reputation).

But please, don't learn from this; go back to knee-jerk reactions. Type those keys faster than any cranial synaptic activity you may possess.

9. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    Not to undermine your original point, but currently USA is behind Italy.

9. Italy
    10. USA and Turkey

10. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Ofcourse they are bull, how else would we be ranked as a top 10 team..

11. Numero_9

Numero_9 Member

Mar 31, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    APRIL FOOLS!

12. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Come on man, you know you are not supposed to say anything disaparaging about the National team here. How dare you!

13. xkimo_fire

xkimo_fire New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Iowa
    They should go to a Tier system

Tier 1
    Brazil
    Argentina
    France

Tier 2
    England
    Holland
    Germany
    Spain
    Italy

Tier 3
    US
    Portugal
    Mexico
    Sweden....
    Japan
    Cameroon

Then rank them according to thier Tier

14. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Matches since 2000:

USA 6 Wins
    Mexico 1 win
    1 Draw..
    Total Score-- USA 11 Mexico 1

And please don't start that nonsense again by telling me the total score is wrong and throw in youth team results like last time I mentioned this and not even mentioning you are adding some youth scores.. :rolleyes:

15. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    The rankings are based on OVERALL performance, since 2002 :

Mexico : Gold Cup Champs, Copa America second round, defeating Brazil twice and Argentina once.. The US lost to Brazil in the Gold Cup and turned down the invitation to Copa America. So you think the US should be awarded more points than Mex for their away win over Poland in a friendly ?

16. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I'm aware of that and understand it as I would guess most here do.. Just replying to the individual question of Mexico v USA as so many fans of Mexico still think they are so far ahead of us.. Everyone always says head to head results are the best way to compare two teams over a recent period so there they are..
    I just find it silly to claim "domination" or superiority when the results are like that..

17. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    US did take the biggst possible win the at the WC no doubt about that. However when looking at head to head competition the majority of wins have been in the U.S.. Now if you see the results the US has in Mexico when playing at Azteca you will see that they are very similiar, the U.S also hasnt been able to score a goal in their last four or five games played at Azteca stadium..

18. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    And we will struggle to score this time around too. Azteca is a hell-hole. A smog-laden, high altitude, rock and piss throwing hell-hole. Not to mention, Mexico is a damned good team. We're not going to win in Mexico, and likely Mexico won't win in the US. Them's the facts.

19. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing about Mexico being ranked above us that bugs me is the fact that they are going to end up with a top seed at WC06 while we could get stuck with some group of death. :(

Note to USSF: Convince MLS to take a summer break next time and take up CONMEBOL on the Copa invite.

20. j5isalive

j5isalive New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    First of all, the rankings are more or less BS. Look at college football for that. They only determine seeds for the World Cup. Although that seems like a huge deal, does it really matter? We are probably not going to be ranked in the top 7 by the time the next WC comes around. Our competition is too weak and our important wins move further into the past. However, we have beaten Mexico convincely over the last several years so more power to them if they can get a seed. I would love to have them win a group and then we can finish second in ours and maybe, just maybe, we lineup to fight for the quarterfinals...sounds familiar... (I know Italy was the seeded team in Mexico's group)

21. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's crap. WC2006 will tell who fits in where. I'm sure if the US beats Mexico in a WC Qualifier they will jump ahead of them. The US needs to play in more things like Copa America. That might hurt them too :confused:

22. Fleck

Fleck New Member

May 14, 2004
    Sacramento
    Gotta beat the best to be the best. Doesnt really matter whose in your group IMO.

23. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Why are France in the top tier? Or Argentina for that matter?

24. KLECKO73

KLECKO73 New Member

Jan 5, 2002
    GARDEN STATE
    If all we are going to do is play alot of friendlies at home and skip out on Copa America, then don't be surprised that our rankings fall. Mexico entered that tournament and beat Argentina and won their group. So they got slaughtered by Brazil. Big deal. While they were advancing in Copa America, we were sitting on our asses doing nothing. It's nice to say MLS is more important but FIFA don't care for excuses. And anyway. Why are rankings important when the sport has an actual tournament to decide the best team?.

25. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yeah and maybe in said tournament, US can actually win 7th place and the these kinds of posts can all be avoided.