Why is Lazio almost near bankrupcy?

Discussion in 'Lazio' started by squadra_azzurri, Apr 30, 2006.

1. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i remember before this season that we may have been gone down to a lower league because of financial issues.. can somebody tell me why Lazio has been almost bankrupt after selling players like:

Italy Demetrio Albertini
    Italy Dino Baggio
    Brazil César
    Italy Giorgio Chinaglia
    Argentina Hernán Crespo
    Italy Bernardo Corradi
    Portugal Fernando Couto
    Spain Ivan De La Peňa
    Italy Marco Di Vaio
    Italy Giuseppe Favalli
    Italy Stefano Fiore
    Italy Giuliano Giannichedda
    Italy Roberto Mancini
    Serbia and Montenegro Siniša Mihajlović
    Czech Republic Pavel Nedvěd
    Italy Alessandro Nesta
    Italy Fernando Orsi
    Italy Giuseppe Pancaro
    Chile Marcelo Salas
    Argentina Nestor Sensini
    Argentina Diego Simeone
    Argentina Juan Pablo Sorin
    Uruguay Ruben Sosa
    Netherlands Jaap Stam
    Serbia and Montenegro Dejan Stankovic
    Argentina Juan Sebastián Verón
    Italy Christian Vieri

2. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    Your missing Mendieta and Lopez off that list;)
    However the biggest problem back then was we were basically paying ridiculous amounts of money to bring these players in, hold onto them for no more then 2seasons and then get half of what we paid back.

The wages alone were crippling.

However those times are over and we slowly but surely making the improvements to be a top 4 team in a few years time.

Seeing as we managed europe this season too i've heard rumours we are going to be pretty active this summer in order to be competitive for next seasons uefa cup and Serie A.

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    We still have a few years until we can even think about competing for the SerieA. We just don't have the depth or the talent. Unless, of course, Milan and Juve get relegated due to the scandal. :rolleyes:

4. Pangloss

Pangloss New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    NYC
    Without a major cash injection i'm afraid it will take a lot longer than a few years. Our loan payment plan goes on literally for decades. I'm grateful to Lotito for stepping up to the plate to basically save the club, but we need a lot more financial muscle than he has or is willing to offer. Finishing 6th this year was a fantastic achievment but its just not sustainable without cash.

5. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pangloss.. can u kinda go into detail about 6th place is not sustainable without cash.. i would like to learn about lazio's past .. thanks

6. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Well, it depends on what happens. I think our tax savings plan puts off the payments to relatively small amounts per year (it stretches for two decades!) so its not out of the realm of possibility. However, we simply don't have the money to compete with the big 3 after Cirio's collapse.
    I agree, 6th will be hard to sustain, unless we can hang on to some of our younger players when (hopefully!) they develop. Pandev, etc. are the future.

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    The easiest explanation is googling "Cirio" "Cragnotti" and see what you get. The Cragnotti family used to own Lazio and made their money in canned food and then banking. Then, Cirio went bankrupt and the huge amounts of money Cragnotti spent on busts (Mendieta), players who weren't good enough (Piojo) or just insanely overpriced players (Crespo) came home to roost sticking us with a massive wage bill and massive debts without Cirio's financial backing. To be sure, this was no Parmalat - Cirio went bankrupt in the good old fashioned "we've run out of money" way rather than the "we were lying about those 10 billion in assets we said we had" way, which is likely why Lazio was saved whereas Fiorentina suffered several years in purgatory.

8. IlRomanoItaliano

IlRomanoItaliano New Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Roma
    Buddy...Milan isn't in the scandal, Lazio is...:eek: Along with Juve, Fiorentina, and Inter...hehe

I am a Roma fan...but...Lazio has done well this season. Except for the scandal ofcourse

9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Our involvement thus far has been ephemeral, and I hope it stays that way. Until then, its a moot point.

10. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    I honestly think the youngster's coming through the club can help us acheive big things in 4/5years time.
    If players like Pandev,Delgardo and numerous of the other younger player's continue to develop at the speed they currently are.
    Then they will be excellent players in the coming seasons.

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milan is in the scandal, along with a host of other teams.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lazio's involvment has more to do with financial irregularities than anything else.

13. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Well there's a shock!

14. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    If we go to Serie B we will go Bankrupt:rolleyes:

15. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    consider it a done deal........

16. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    maybe not so, most of Lazio players are on reduced wages already...and Sky has pledged to honors its $$ tv contracts. Certainly some players will be sold off, but Lazio should survive. Now whether or not they afford to bring anyone in to get out of B is another question...

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Lets wait for the appeals to be heard, but this does indeed look bad. :( :(