Why is Inter Milan so popular?

Discussion in 'Inter Milan' started by Catfish, Dec 22, 2005.

1. ForzaPalermo2006

ForzaPalermo2006 Red Card

Dec 10, 2005
    San Jose, CA, USA
    In Serie A you are either finish a scudetto champion or just a looser.....looks like both INTER and Palermo will not be celebrating at the end of the season. In other words Inter is just another looser club this year.

2. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    Yes, but while you're in the mid table at least we'll be competing. In the Champions League we will progress, as well as in the Coppa Italia. We'll win it again, I don't have a doubt. And I'll still think Juve will slip up. Look at today vs. Roma. Therefore if we beat them at the San Siro, which I think we have an excellent chance of doing we'll be there come the end of the season.

As for Palermo, they're a romantic side and for now they can only hope for a Uefa Cup place and maybe upset Europe by winning it. Besides that I don't see a CL spot unless next year you improve drastically. Who knows... maybe Di Michaele will give you that.

3. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    And just to illustrate your love for Palermo, that's how I feel about the Nerazurri. By your logic, Baggio was a cheater... that's a pretty bold statement. Seedorf is a cheater as well, oh wait he plays for ACM now. Pirlo is a cheater, wait he is at ACM as well. Ronaldo is a cheater as well...:D

4. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pirlo is a cheater glad you pointed that out

5. Agus

Agus New Member

Apr 2, 2003
    California, USA
    I love Inter Milan because of 2 things:
    . Internazionale = International.
    . The color blue & black are my favorite colors. Ok, blue is the most my favorite one.

...so, there it goes. :)

Forza INTER !!

6. tells

tells New Member

May 19, 2005
    Lol i imagine a load of south americans support them

7. GianPaolo

GianPaolo New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    The club is full of south americans and europeans but none are Italian. There just a team you love to hate.

8. spanishfan1

spanishfan1 New Member

Jun 25, 2004
    I ain't south american or italian and Inter Milan are my favorite club team. People hate them because they are better then most teams, with incredible players. Sure they could be very unpredictable sometimes but for some odd reason inter has even more fans then teams who win championships every year. Forza Inter!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I always wondered why the team has no Italien players on the starting 11.

But you guys are winning so that says something:)

10. smartbomb

smartbomb Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's called internazionale for a reason :rolleyes:

11. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Everyone loves Inter because they are really the Former Lazio All Stars

12. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's true, Inter has always bought players from Lazio, even before Mancini came.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think it all started when Giuseppe Meazza's play for Inter in the 1930s, scoring 243 goals in 361 games for the club. He is still considered by many to be one of the greatest Italian players of all-time, along with legends. Meazza was the first Italian football player who became famous worldwide, and was the first player with personal sponsors. He was also famous for sleeping with the prostitutes the night before a match. He won two World Cups with Vittorio Pozzo making him the protagonist in both 1938 & 1934. Inter holds the distinction of never being relegated from the Sere A. AC Milan actually went down twice in the 80 and again 83 if I recall. The first one was because of a match fixing scandal and the second one was because they could not play well enough to stay up. AC Milan however went right back up 3 years later and won their first of many championships with Maldini, Baresi, Donadoni etc.

I recall reading how both brothers Baresi (Giuseppe & Franco)came up with Inter but one coach went to Franco at 13 or 14 and told him to consider soccer only for exercise. AC Milan stepped in and made Franco Baresi into one of the world's best sweepers. Although until he got big in around 89/90 it was always big brother Giuseppe who starred in Serie A at Inter. I believe he won 2 Serie A championships.

Inter almost went down to the B in 93/94 I believe but they saved themselves and at the same time won the UEFA CUP in Walter Zenga's last game for Inter. 1993/94 Zenga, A.Paganin, D.Fontolan, Jonk, Bergomi, Battistini, Orlando, Manicone, Berti, Bergkamp, Sosa
    La Grande Inter was big in the 60's when they won the Serie A in 63, 65 and in 64 they won the European Cup for the 2nd year in a row.
    During those years Inter had many great playerst: Luis Suarez, Giacinto Facchetti, Sandro Mazzola, Angelo Domenghini, Mario Corso. The owner /president of the team was Angelo Moratti, father of the current owner Massimo Moratti. I remember he wanted to buy Pele and Eusebio in those years but never did.
    I think the main reason why they haven't won much lately ever since Massimo Moratti bought the club 10 years ago, was or is because too many players and coaches have come and gone. I saw Inter last week and I couldn't find an Italian born player on the pitch. The long time dilemma has always been in Italy, TOO MANY Foreigners! Its very difficult to jell a team with so many different nationalities.
    Even today Massimo tries to understand his coaches but I don't think he gives many a chance. I remember in 1999 I think it was, when he fired Gigi Simoni on the plane. He was coming home after winning and picking up the coach of the year award. The whole Marcello Lippi scenario was a joke. First Massimo brought in Roberto Baggio as he admired this player for many years. Then Lippi came in and wanted Baggio to tell him to be a spy in the clubhouse on which players were talking smack. Baggio refused and was relegated to the bench. He scored only 9 goals with Inter in 41 matches and won the Italian Cup in 99/00 with the club. He came in and actually saved Lippi's job by scoring a goal and qualifying the club to either the champions or Uefa Cup, I forget which one. The very next year Lippi told Moratti it was either Baggio or him. So Massimo had no choice but to trade Baggio to Brescia. Actually, Moratti later said, "a player the caliber of Roberto Baggio, I would never trade or let him go". He said, "it was either him or Lippi and I didn't want to fault the coach at the time". He kept Lippi only until the first game of the serie A season in 2001 when they lost to Reggina. Then Lippi was gone too! Marco Tardelli didn't do much either for 1 season the rest of 2001. Then he picked up Hector Cuper who was a good coach but more for a small time club trying to stay up with the big boys. He just wasn't for Inter. Maybe Mancini is doing ok but I read a few weeks back that even Roberto has explaining to do.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just to give you a look at how many coaches Massimo Moratti hired in 11 years:
    1994-95 - Ottavio Bianchi

1995 - Luis Suarez

1995-97 - Roy Hodgson

1997 - Luciano Castellini

1997-98 - Luigi Simoni

1999 - Mircea Lucescu
    1999 - Luciano Castellini
    1999 - Roy Hodgson
    1999-01 - Marcello Lippi

2001 - Marco Tardelli

2001-03 - Héctor Raul Cúper
    2003 - Corrado Verdelli

2004 - Alberto Zaccheroni

2004 - Roberto Mancini

Bianchi was fired as soon as Moratti took over the club in favor of long time Inter great Luis Suarez. In 1999 Inter had 4 coaches. Castellini, Verdelli were care taker coaches the same went for Roy Hodgson who had already coached the club earlier. I'll never forget when Javier Zanetti wanted to rip poor old Roy's head off for pulling him. He being the perfect Englishman apologized later. When you have this many coaching changes in a decade,(12 coaches in 11 years) its a wonder Inter hasn't won much of anything!

15. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    And over the last few years its ridiculous. They just got Cesar, and you could make a lineup of so many ex-Lazio players - Cesar, Favalli, Mihajlovic, Stankovic, Veron, Mancio as coach, and they had Vieri last year too. I'm surprised they haven't tried to repurchase Simeone to completely recreate the Lazio midfield of 5 years ago.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Too bad Mancini can't play anymore, he was a class act to watch. Vialli and Mancio were the best Italian club forwards I've ever seen at Sampdoria. They always lacked something owith the national team though. Can you believe however, that there isn't any starting Italian born player on Inter? I mean it reminds me of the NASL. INTERNAZIONALE per davero!

17. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    See that is what I don't understand:
    Constant coming and going of players and managers
    No Scudettos or European trophies to show for it

Please don't give the excuse that they are popular because they are an International club. There are plenty of International style clubs around the world.

18. MerikanMaster87

MerikanMaster87 New Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Boston
    they have many programs in asia, with frequent visits of the team president and players to korea, japan, asia in general. even in america they have many fans because of ancestory and the quality and prestige of the team.
    In my case vieri was who drew me to inter back in the day,
    plus the kit is my colors
    FORZA INTER

19. MerikanMaster87

MerikanMaster87 New Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Boston
    maybe you can see the light...
    the jersey colors
    + good team management, who have brought in a lot of money
    =better players come from more money
    =more fans

20. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I do like Inter Milan's kit, but we are talking about some serious global loyalty considering Inter has no Scudettos or European trophies since 1989.
    I'm surprised and impressed.

21. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You're wrong on that part. They won the UEFA Cup in 1991 and 1998.

22. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At first I thought it was cool that the 3 best Dutch players played for the cross-town team.

But when I read an article about how Inter fans made a huge banner begging for "The Guv" Paul Ince to stay was what did it.

Ronaldo joining the club didn't hurt either.

23. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Whoops...ok, 8 yrs since European glory.

24. soccer_stallion32

soccer_stallion32 New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    They also won it in 94

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think that may be part of the problem, however. I mean have you seen the rosters for Inter for the last 10 years ever since Massimno Moratti bought the club? He has just too many different nationalities. Maybe I am a little biased and a little old school about fielding "the foreigners" or "i stranieri" but I think if you have a youth system or the primavera and you develop home grown players at a young age and bring them up thru the ranks its historically better. I mean that is the main idea of every league. When the MLS was formed that idea to develop the American player was in everyone's minds. I mean no one wanted to make the mistake of the NASL. Maybe Italy has more resources and/or players but I mean come on!
    Then even if you field foreigners why would you trade a Ronaldo or a Roberto Carlos? Give me a break!