Why is Inter Milan so popular?

Discussion in 'Inter Milan' started by Catfish, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Sid Wilson

Sid Wilson New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    1 word. RONALDO.

2. Serb

Serb New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Southern Ontario

3. Ecclesiastes2003

May 30, 2003
    I'm not at all saying you're wrong, but I like Inter for the opposite reason, their left-wing stance. They helped out an indigenous village in Chiapas and, as said by Zanetti, they "believe in a better world, in an unglobalized world, enriched by the cultural differences and customs of all the people".

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1330594,00.html

Plus they just recently won the Italian Cup and the Supercoppa. It may not be the scudetto, but it's something.

4. aleximo

aleximo New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Scotland
    2003 to 1998 - inter played drasticly negative football, long ball to vieri who scored against the smaller teams only, no inter arnt loved for theyre beautiful football, only this year have they begun to do this, i cant honestly explain why theyre so popular, a million other teams have huge name foriegn players so that cant be the reason, plus look at thailand, 2.3 M support inter in thailand and there ahs never been a thai inter player...!

5. aleximo

aleximo New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Scotland
    then people dont support inter, they support ronaldo, plus thyed support real now, yeh>?

6. shahz_nerazzurri

shahz_nerazzurri New Member

Oct 25, 2005
    I cannot not believe that you ae an Inter fan, Inter unlike Juve & milan were never into Negative football, not even in Cuper's era. Hell I dont even think Milan were into that. Its just something that English media made up to make Italian football bad.

Inter fan have recently givben themselves a bad name with zoro's recent incident & ofcourse the fire works at euro derby :D. But these are only a small fraction of suppoters and donot represent the true intersita. WE might miss Euro 2012 bid because of that, but dont blame it entirely on Inter, DiCanio's facist salute and Gobbi;s crappy & empty stadium all are related to it. Hopefully we will win the bid.

I only started following Inter after Bobo came to us, but once you start to like a club, its very hard for you to switch it. SAme thing about ROnaldo, I know we have many fans becasue of Ronaldo but they never bacame a Madrista, because they got so engrossed in to the wonderful Nerazzurri atmosphere.

7. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have the link since it was over a year ago. All I'm gonna say is this, I've been watching CCTV5 for a couple years now online. And 9 times out of 10 if Milan and Inter are on at the same time they will choose to show the Milan game because there is more demand. I've also spoken to many Chinese people who confirm that Milan has the biggest fanbase in China because Serie A first started airing in China in the early 90's. Obviously this won Milan many Chinese fans do to the great squad they had at that time. I'm sure things can change with time. It was only 20 years ago that Inter were vastly more popular in Milan and Italy to AC Milan. But Milan's success has changed all that in the last 20 years.

8. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggest you do a little research on your "so-called" favorite club. Especially on the Hector Cuper era ;)

9. giallorossissimo

Apr 8, 2005
    South Florida
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Personally, I think it has to do with the youth programmes. Another poster mentioned the global awareness of the club. On Inter's website is a link to the youth sectors which are all over the globe. Of course, I'm sure many European sides organize youth sectors all over the world but still thats gotta be one of the reasons why Inter is so popular.

10. cn69

cn69 New Member

Dec 16, 2005
    sydney
    yeh totally agree with you. AC Milans succes has gained them so many fans, and because of inter's poor run we havn't had as much publicity. most of my friends don't really care for football, but they still no about ac milan, but yet nothing about inter :mad:

11. soccer_stallion32

soccer_stallion32 New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    Yah I cant agree with this either man. Just watch our CL QF against Valencia in 2003. Cuper was all about the defence first style. No one really cared either becaue Vieri was in such good goal scoring form that it meant little that we were playing vastly inferior soccer to Milan and even Juve at the time. We would struggle and grind out the wins agaisnt the smaller clubs and perform poorly against the better teams. However it must be noted that in the Euro derby in the same yearMilan were extremly fortunate to go through. The fixtures being the way they were allowed them to go through on away goals despite playing soccer that was at the same measly if not worse than that Inter team.

As for Spartek's mention of Inter being more popular 20 years ago in Milan and Italy. But of course my milanista fan boy I mean who is going to support a team that was in the second division ;) .

12. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Oh please, Inter played crap football for years and years, which is why they never won anything special, despite having plenty of quality in the team. It was this individual quality that made them get any decent results at all. Their football was piss poor.

13. shahz_nerazzurri

shahz_nerazzurri New Member

Oct 25, 2005
    One thing, winning has got nothing to do with negative or positive football. Juve are winning scudetto this season, and they have been by far more defensive than any other Italian team.
    In Mancini's era, we have become the most attacking team in Italian football.

And someone mentioning CL 2002-2003. That wat the year when italian football was, at its best. 3 out of 4 teams in semis, English media got pissed off, and started lablelling us as boring. Hell Guys watch what Cheslea, Liverpool and ManU play. Why dosent anyone call them boring??

14. Jay00

Jay00 Red Card

Dec 28, 2005
    The magical island
    Inter is popular because it usually has big international footballers unlike AC. Inter has a huge following in the US and Canada. It has had tremendous CL sucess over the years.

15. Thiefo

Thiefo New Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Ehhm, what cl succes? :confused:

16. spanishfan1

spanishfan1 New Member

Jun 25, 2004
    times are changing, Milan's downfall and inter's rise. Inter are play amazing football as of late and if they keep at it, they could win anything. Inter are popular because of all the great players they had and now have. Great players have played in inter, yet they haven't won as many trophys as they should have. as an inter fan i believe inter are the greatest, like all the other inter fans and we believe they will prove it one day. And sooner or later the day will come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, yeah Milan hasn't had many big international footballers through the years :rolleyes:

18. Jay00

Jay00 Red Card

Dec 28, 2005
    The magical island

Inter Milan was founded to be an international club. My comment wasn;t suppose to be turned into some hated derby remark. I was just answering the question posed by the thread

19. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, but that's not a valid answer imo. Because if you look at the two clubs I think Milan has had as many,if not more,big international stars play for them. But Inter has had, by far, more crappy international players play for them ;)

20. FCBasel1893

FCBasel1893 New Member

May 7, 2003
    Basel, Switzerland
    Inter used to be very successful in the 60ies. If you think about it, the generation that grew up with that team would then introduce their children and grandchildren to their favourite team, which are nowadays the ones that support Inter. People always seem to think that there are dozens of factors which make a fan chose their team, but that's not really the case. It's actually very simple most of the time: a father takes his son to his club, perhaps buys him a cap or whatever, and there you go :) As for fans in Asia who (temporarily?) support clubs because player XY plays for them and all that, I don't really care..

Fact is, Inter still has more fans in Italy than Milan. There was actually a survey made in Italy quite recently, which proved this again (can't find the link right now). I can very well imagine though that Milan will take over within the next generation if Inter continue to underperform like that.

21. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha, beat me to it. i only got into inter cause the dudes i played travel soccer with in high school were mostly italian kids and they all cheered for inter for some reason, so i said, ok lemme check em out. been a fan ever since.

forza inter

22. ForzaPalermo2006

ForzaPalermo2006 Red Card

Dec 10, 2005
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Inter is popular because Milan loves cheap, low-brow soccer. The Nerrazurri is a club full or whining cheaters who don't respect the game of football. On every direct free kick for Palermo in the match this weekend the Nerazurri would clearly rush over the distance boundary. The ref had to push them back all night long like a cattlerancher. It was pathetic !!! Not to mention they would cry to the ref about their blatant fouls the entire match. I'm glad we embarassed Inter earlier this season and gave them another run for thier money in this battle. Anyways, Inter will always be the ugly stepsister of the beautiful A.C. Milan. It's all about the scudetto and Inter doesn't have too many...;)

23. neroazzurri

neroazzurri New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    LOS ANGELES, CA

Sore looser cough cough

24. ForzaPalermo2006

ForzaPalermo2006 Red Card

Dec 10, 2005
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Your team's gonna choke and come in second.....cough cough

25. C'e' Solo l'Inter

C'e' Solo l'Inter New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Southwark.
    and palermo is where in the scudetto race? oh thats right no where close to it. enjoy the middle of the table.