Why is Inter Milan so popular?

Discussion in 'Inter Milan' started by Catfish, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I mean they haven't won a league title since 1989. You would think Milan would be 10 times more popular in Italy and around the world, but Inter is more popular.

Some one please explain it to me.

Thanks.

2. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    hmm y is inter soo popular. let me see

May have brazilian fans because of Adriano.

May have portuguese fans because of Figo

May have argentina fans because of veron and zanetti

May have Nigerian fans because of Martins

May have serbian fans because of Mihalovic

May have italian fans because simply they live in milan and support there club.

again they are exciting to watch and as you can see they have ALOT of forin players.
    and because of forin players that brings alot of attention to Inter.

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ok, why are they 1 of the top clubs in Asia?

Whether you like Milan or not technically shouldn't they be much more popular than Inter?

4. irishwhisper

irishwhisper New Member

Aug 22, 2005
    Dublin,Ireland
    Inter Milan have alot of right-wing fans and AC Milan have alot of left-wing fans so depending on your political stance you'll support one or the other if you live in Milan. I personally prefer Inter they are friends of Lazio and AC Milan are enemies

5. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I live in the states and have Portuguese and Italian hertiage, and I like Inter simply because Roberto Baggio played for them. I began liking soccer during WC 1998 and rooted for Italy all the way. Baggio became my favorite player, therefore, I rooted for his club team. I actually didn't know he played for them until around January when Inter was playing Real Madrid...Inter was down like 1-0, and Baggio scored the two goals that gave Inter the win. I don't think I'll ever forget that afternoon.

6. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He played for Milan too... ;)

I remember watching that game on ESPN2. Great display from Baggio, who is also my all-time favorite player.

7. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY
    Roberto Baggio was a player that could every so often just bring magic to the field. Wonderful player to watch play the game.

He's played for many teams through his career. Fio, Juve, Milan, Bologna (I think), Inter and Brescia off the top of my head (think I got most of them). Unfortunately durring quite a few periods in his career he had coaches that weren't too keen on his play. If I remember correctly in his last season at Inter he started on the bench and Inter languished (at least were dissapointing in their eyes), but then a few of the forwards got injured and the coach was forced to play Baggio, and he lifted Inter through the rest of the season to where they finished with a CL spot. And the reward for such a display for the club? "Thank you, now goodbye".

A shame, but he was just wonderful to watch when he was on the field.

8. FireFanInPackerLand

Dec 8, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I admit my interest in Serie A is pretty mild, whenever I do see a score, I smile when I see Inter win probably because when I was first reading the two Milan clubs history, I liked how Inter wanted to sign the best players, while AC Milan only wanted the best ITALIAN players. That didn't seem to make any sense to me.

Plus, the question of why does INTERNAZIONALE have so many fans WORLDWIDE seems a funny quesiton. :D

9. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inter do not have more worldwide fans than Milan. In Italy it's about even between the two Milan squads. But outside of Italy Milan have far more fans. Inter caught up a bit when they signed Ronaldo but Milan's dominance in the early 90's won them millions of fans worldwide.

10. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    thats why one of my friends of nz became a fan of inter... then his fav player was vieri.. now he is in oblivion with milan... perhaps he is a closet racist??

11. shahz_nerazzurri

shahz_nerazzurri New Member

Oct 25, 2005
    I always liked Italian football, and became an Inter fan when Bobo joined Inter in 99. Ofcourse the traitor has left us now, but I just cant imagine myself leaving this wonderful club. And yes indeed Inter are b/c the have so many multinational players. Here is what was written in 1908 when Inter was formed.

"It will be born here, at the "Orologio (Watch)" restaurant, meeting place of artists and it will be always a team of great talent. On this splendid night it's colours will be given: The black and the blue with a golden background of the stars. It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world."

(Milano, 1908)

12. cn69

cn69 New Member

Dec 16, 2005
    sydney
    mayby people are attracted to the fact that inter havn't won anything in 16 years. inter are always the underdogs against acmilan so people natrully go for the underdog. i was also surprised to find out that inter are the most populer international team in china, which is pritty cool :cool:

13. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true. Milan have twice as many fans in China as Inter.

14. cn69

cn69 New Member

Dec 16, 2005
    sydney
  15. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an internet poll, which means it's basically meaningless. There was a real survey done last year which stated Milan were the most popular club in China. ManU and Real also finished ahead of Inter.

16. cn69

cn69 New Member

Dec 16, 2005
    sydney
    what do you mean by "real survey" :confused: i'de like to see the results of this so called real survey if you don't mind. and this poll i'm talking about was conducted by three diferent forms of the media not just the internet. "Chinese state broadcaster CCTV, Titan Sports publication Sports Weekly and internet portal Sina.com". hence this poll is highly reliable

17. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't think anyone in Milan gives a crap about Chinese fanboys. Frankly I'm baffled anyone does :D

Inter atm are a pretty spectacular side. I have always hated Inter (especially Inter fans, but then again I never get along with Italian fans too well) but right now they're actually a very respectable side IMO.

The question of popularity (worldwide) is irrelevant IMO. Football clubs need to stick to their roots. That's where the real passion lies and where the club's face is determined. Not on the other side of the ocean where 99% of the people actually haven't got the slightest clue about many of their favourite teams and the scene around that particular club.

But if you're big enough you can actually sell out and go international... you better stay on top though because once you turn your back on your roots it will be hard to return when times get hard.

Just my two cents, not meant to take the pleasure of following Inter away from anyone (in case anyone thinks that's what I meant)

18. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Actually I heard the same thing, but from different sources. It still doesn't explain the MASSIVE popularity of a club that has underachieved for nearly 20 years! That would be like Newcastle Utd being very popular, which they are not globally.

19. Forza Badger

Forza Badger New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i'm
    We won't complain if they buy our jerseys and TV rights. :D

20. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    exactly badger, i couldnt say it better. lol. thats why we love them. say each person in China buys 1 jersey for lets say 80 bucks, thats a good 80 billion in the bank from China alone... if only everyone in the world can just give me a buck :p

21. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    lets face it they have many different player backgrounds maybe that has something to do with it.

22. shahz_nerazzurri

shahz_nerazzurri New Member

Oct 25, 2005

PPPPPLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAAZZZZZZZZZEEEEEEEE dont comapare a club like NewCastle with the Inter. Winning is not everything (atleast in regard with the fans). If anyone is a Milanese or Juve fan, just because they win, then he is no more than a glory hunter. Inter have true fans, who support them through thick and thin.
    NERAZZURRI'S RULE

23. icy55

icy55 New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Singapore
    i like inter because they are the so called underdogs as compared to AC milan. i love supporting the underdogs. But oh well, recent matches has proven them wrong!!! But i hope the fans still stay.

24. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

...and smarten up bcuz they chant racist comments to players, and throw flares on the field and hitting people. if this keeps up, we will not host 2012. even the guy who picks the hosts even said so from uefa

25. GianPaolo

GianPaolo New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I don't understand why people still cheer for this club when 98% of the club isin't even Italian!! The only Italians that cheer for the club nowdays are the ones that live in the area or followed a certain player from another team to Inter.