Why is Germany such a football powerhouse?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by jayjayokocha, Jul 2, 2014.

1. jayjayokocha

jayjayokocha Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    West Virginia Chaos
    #1 jayjayokocha, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    There is a similar thread asking the same question about Brazil, so that got me interested, since US soccer is very "German" for obvious reasons these days.

Why is Germany such a football powerhouse, constantly finishing top position in World and Euro Cups for ages?
    What about their your systems, getting kids into soccer etc?

[​IMG]

Crisstti and Hexa repped this.
  2. Surinamese-man

Aug 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Surinam
    I think it's their mentality and to go till the last man.It's is in their blood to always perform better than anyone else.The desire to look for perfect solutions.

3. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Vorsprung durch technik

Boandlkramer and TASDD repped this.
  4. Snoop-a-luh

Snoop-a-luh Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Mmmmm, idk why, the Germans have a consistent good system, but is also a consistent choker. Brazil has won 2 cups in those 8 editions, and finished runner-up in 98...i guarantee you, although Germany is between the last eight, once again they'll fall short, it takes more than just being ONE of the best to be crowned THE BEST.

5. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    The SYSTEM.

6. Luckyone

Luckyone Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    yeah and Germany has one 1 cup and was runner up in 1986/2002, and 3 in 2006/2010, so the
    differerenz between Brazil and Germany in 8 WC is 1 win in the 2002 final.....so yeah Germans are chokers

7. Guevara

Guevara Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Aix-en-provence
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And Brazil will be embarrassed by France.

Tradition.

jerrito repped this.
  8. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Think the main reason is a stable, strong and economically sound league. The setup in all of the clubs is outstanding.

Crisstti repped this.
  9. Snoop-a-luh

Snoop-a-luh Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Brazil WON 94 and 2002 (against choke nation)....and runner up in 98 (against host nation)... Still better

10. Snoop-a-luh

Snoop-a-luh Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    One thing for sure, we won't have to rely on food poisoning our main players to win the cup at home, like some SMALL countries do.

11. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    You do realize the subject here is not who's better but why Germany is so consistent? They are, certainly, the most consistently successful NT, a powerhouse, at the WCs.

Crisstti repped this.
  12. Snoop-a-luh

Snoop-a-luh Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Successful as in being ONE OF THE best? Maybe we have different definitions for winning, but in my mind, if you ain't first you're last.

13. Luckyone

Luckyone Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    You realise that winning a WC is not only based on skill?
    In a one Game Final Luck is a huge factor - REF decisions, Wonder Goals etc.

Brasil is for sure the most successfully football nation, but Germany isn´t far away. Had Germany win the 2002 Final they would been even more successfull then Brasil....

So the differenz between Germany and Brasil is the outcome of one Game out of 20 WC!
    If Germany is no powerhouse then I don´t know which nation is.

I think they are because the league is finacial wise healthy, most of the Clubs play with homegrown Talents even Bayern have more Germans in their starting Lineup then stars from other nations. The youth System in Germany is for sure one of the best in the world.

Loddar, Crisstti and Hexa repped this.
  14. Snoop-a-luh

Snoop-a-luh Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    In history, Brazil has been to 7 finals winning 5. Germany has been to 7..... And won 3. Therefore, there's no ground for comparison.

15. NigelHarries5

NigelHarries5 New Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Probably because their fans are just so damn dedicated and pretty much verging on the insane? To clarify, see this homemade football song and video made a german fan in the uk. Yeah...

Willibald repped this.
  16. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Post is missing the point. The question was why Germany were so good and consistent. The subject wasn't hiw many title wins Brazil have

Boandlkramer, jerrito and Crisstti repped this.
  17. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Idiotic conspiracy theory # 2,341

Sometimes I wonder whether we as a species have really progressed in the past 5,000 years. Critical thinking still seems to be completely alien to many people.

jerrito, Galo Vingador and spatz repped this.
  18. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Thank you for your intelligent comments. And I'm sure you live by that principle. I'm sure you're the smartest and most successful person with the highest degree of education and the most successful businessman. If you're not one of those things then you are clearly a loser in life by your own standards :)

Dage and Galo Vingador repped this.
  19. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Here's hoping we can steer this thread that was meant to be about Germany back on subject and ignore Brazil

There's an interesting academic text called 'Why England lose' that brings forward many theories of why Germany are so much more consistent than other big European countries like England or France. One of the key theories is that football is a middle class sport in Germany while in many other countries it's largely a working class sport. Being a working class sport limits your talent pool as in rich European countries usually no more than 30% of a population in rich nations constitute working class.

COYS, JSS85, Roofvogel and 1 other person repped this.
  20. herrnimrod

herrnimrod New Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's a very interesting perspective if accurate. The middle class is not only larger, but also offers more in terms of resources, psychology and nutrition.

Then again you have Italy.

21. Guevara

Guevara Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Aix-en-provence
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That is really interesting and logical, but how do we account for all of the players who have gastarbeiter origins? The socioeconomic argument doesn't explain why there are so many players of migrant origin: Mesut Özil, Ilkay Gündogan, Mehmet Schooll, Jérôme Boateng, and Mario Gomez. Most gastarbeiters remained working to lower middle class at best.

I would subscribe to that theory if we could fill in little holes. Until that time, I just chalk it up to Germany's historically Prussian approach to any problem. Discipline, diligence, and planning are the name of the game, and they seem to do it better than most. Not to mention they do a fantastic job of retaining most of their homegrown talent.

Look at Germany's roster. The vast majority of players are either from either Borussia Dortmund or Bayern Munich. It is a lot like Spain when they had their run, at least 90% of their team was either from Barcelona or Real Madrid. Not coincidence.

jerrito repped this.
  22. Snoop-a-luh

Snoop-a-luh Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Do you need me to elaborate on why that theory is simply stupid?

23. Guevara

Guevara Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Aix-en-provence
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Why don't you? Instead of speaking in warped aphorisms with no depth of thought.

jerrito repped this.
  24. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    One of the interesting things about Germany is that despite having an relatively awful team between their Euro triumph in 1996 and their hosting of the World Cup in 2006, they still managed to get to a World Cup QF and final. They didn't manage to beat a European side in any of the major competitions from 98-04; not a single win in the games against Yugoslavia, Croatia, Portugal, Romania, England, Ireland, Netherlands, Czech Republic, or Latvia. That was the (lack of) quality of the side, yet they still manage to get to the final of the WC in 2002.

There has been real transformation of the German side since then, which started to be evident from 2006; a change of style and an improvement of quality. I think they have a positive attitude towards the national team, a real determination for it to succeed, and are well organised in how they build towards that success. I don't think I could say the same for a nation like England.

Boloni86 repped this.
  25. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    The guy that wrote it is an economist who teaches at Harvard and Oxford. Please explain to us why he's 'simply stupid' and can't compete with the intellectual and academic brilliance you posess

Boandlkramer, JSS85, blissett and 2 others repped this.