Why I like Palermo

Discussion in 'Palermo' started by Lite, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Lite

Lite New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Time for another non-match thread. This to open all fans, pseudo-fans and non-fans of Palermo.

Curious reasons

How did you guys become a fan of Palermo? How long have you been following them and why have you continued to do so? Are there players that have struck you more than the rest? What has made you interested in following this club?

:D

2. bineaz

bineaz New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Illinois
    Sicilian blood. Hearing my brother-in-law talk about when they last played in Serie A. Following them the last couple seasons in Serie B when they were poised to finally make the rise after being in the wilderness so long. The young and solid players who went on to be stars and the role players who have made this season a great culmination. I was a Juve fan in Serie A and Palermo when it was in the lower ranks--even when they were playing Castel di Sangro--who would have thought the reverse is now true.

3. Lite

Lite New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    "I dream of a sport in which a win is not by the those who are powerful but those who are best”. - Zamparini

Our squad is not the likes of Barcelona or Juventus but I like Palermo because of its character and spirit. We have a determined team, who knows how to suffer and above all to win. We are at times careless, have made errors, but we are a team that can win and at the same time be humble about it.

We don’t rely on specific or star players to carry us – we have our marvelous captain who leads us a single unit, and bonds the players and brings the best out of them.

We were at Serie B three years ago and we are motivated to push ourselves up against other clubs.

I don’t expect a scudetto or CL but to dream does not cost anything! Forza Palermo!

And for the cousins, Forza Sicilia! :p

4. Kenntak

Kenntak New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Florida
    I started looking at the team because my grandparents' families were from Palermo. I liked what I saw--a team that is not flashy but plays hard with determination and confidence and is supported by great fans.

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    In a long running game in the old Champ Man I was looking for a lower league Italian side to manage. It was initially for a different challenge and to use as a feeder club. Being a fan of Martin 'El Loco' Palermo, who was the star striker in the game at the time, the name of the club stood out from the others. I took a closer look, the pink sucked me in (edit - that really sounds bad upon reflection) and I took control. Then I looked more into the club in real life and got interested that way. My support grew and I've been interested since. The same happened with Villarreal in Spain. For some reason I must have lucked out given that both clubs have rapidly progressed into really good sides in La Liga/Serie A.

6. AmericanRosanero

AmericanRosanero New Member

Dec 11, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    My story is a bit odd, so you'll have to excuse me...

I went to the World Youth Days in Rome in the summer of 2000. It was a grand old time and was good for me to see my ancestral homeland at age 18. :D

anyway, as I was over there, I wanted to get jerseys from the land. In Florence , I got a Rui Costa look-a-like for my brother. I got a Lazio Lopez look-a-like, and I started to get into Lazio (they had just won the Scudetto in the spring) shortly when I got back. at this time, I found out that Palermo was in B, and when I tried to get a jersey for THEM, the best I could do was a hand-me-down, pre worn, old ass 3rd goalie jersey, which I STILL bought and gave to my sister.

so, end the 2003/4 season, and I had just now noticed that Palermo made the Serie A. I signed on here in December of the 2004/5 season, and just started to talk about here.

I've been here ever since: the UEFA Cup premier, the guidolin - del neri - pap - del neri fiasco, the WC and calciopoli to now, 1st after 11!

7. tutto_azzurri

tutto_azzurri New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    toronto
    why i like palermo... thats cuz my mom is from a town a hour away :D

simple as that

8. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    hello all. i am not a fan of palermo but this year i am hoping they win the scudetto. i like provincial teams and it's been a while since one won the championship. it is sad how provincial teams always lose talent to the big money teams. so this year i am cheering for palermo. forza rosaneri.

InterFan76 repped this.
  9. bineaz

bineaz New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Illinois
    Where have all the good people gone?

10. tutto_azzurri

tutto_azzurri New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    toronto
    not sure things died down a lot

11. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wife is Sicilian...kid's name is Giovanna...all northern teams except Juve are annoying

12. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I still remember the days when they had the 3 teams of Sicily finishing top of C1B :eek:. With Elia knocking the goals in, but not really having other standout strikers. I even recall the young Brienza somewhere in the line-up. I also even remember Bombardini cause i loved the name :D .

lol @ the fact that 4 teams that were in Palermo's promotion year are now playing in Serie A. C1B in the early years of this century > than everything, lol, hehehe.

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to watch the vast majority of games this season. I know the score and who played but that isn't enough to pass comment on anything. I assume other posters are in the same position.

14. joeginto

joeginto Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I support Palermo for three reasons:
    * My friend is from there and in the process of turning him onto calcio and his hometown team, I got interested in them
    * I get tired of the same top 5 in Italy and love the provincial spirit of the Southern Calcio fans
    * It's got to be the pink!

15. sportfriend

sportfriend Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Canada
    cheers to all you supporting your southern herritage...******** those rich northern teams :mad:

16. joeginto

joeginto Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Agreed. I guess subconsciously I figured the northern teams get enough support. It's kind of like rooting for the IRS... I mean where's the joy in that?

17. sportfriend

sportfriend Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Canada
    you know, that's exactly what they're like! :D

and it just really angers me...when i talk to people and they claim to be all sicilian or Calabrese...I ask who you support and they're like JUVE/Milan/Inter!!!...makes me want to hit people

18. LucaGiroToni

LucaGiroToni New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Valley Stream
    I love Palermo because im from a town less then 40 mins away from Palermo.
    Only real men where pink!
    One of My cousin's uncle was a player for Palermo when I was a younger. Since then I tried to follow as best as I could. But I became big time when Palermo was promoted.
    And I think Toni is awesome, I discovered him when he was playin for Brescia with my favorite player ever Roberto Baggio. When I found out he was on Palermo it was an added bouns.
    Forza Sicilia, Forza Palermo!

19. JumpinJackFlash

JumpinJackFlash New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Inter Milan 0 Palermo 2

[SIZE=-1] Half-time: 0-2

Yeah... thats quite a good reason to like them. :p
    [/SIZE]

20. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My mom was born just outside Palermo. My uncle used to go to games in the 50's. But honestly I first started following them when they were doing well in Serie B. I've always been into Italian soccer, Hartford was one of the few cities in the USA that had a full time RAI TV affiliate (until the mid 90's), and I'd watch the games Sunday morning. I liked AC Milan because, they were on alot. But I became permanently attached the first season Palermo was promoted and I watch all games either at my aunt's or my uncle's house that are broadcast in this country. I don't know if it's just because a Palermo family connection, I just really had a connection to the club. The fans, the size of the city, the hope, the underdog aspect, the troubled history, the potential, I don't know what it is but it all works for me. I have a jersey (Toni, I'm getting a new one soon), scarf, like 5 posters, pens, keychains, and some other random stuff. I've been to the Renzo Barbera but only in the summer, so I haven't seen a match in person. Hopefully someday.

21. liverp00l

liverp00l New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Its No Doubt A Great Team

22. Sicilian Arrow

Sicilian Arrow New Member

May 17, 2006
    new york
    Hey

New to boards and a 2 year Palermo fan.

I live in ny and my family came over from sicily in 1902. My fathers side is from sciacca and my mothers side from palermo.

So i am a Palermo fan for obviuos reasons. Full sicilian here and live on long island in ny , so atleast i stayed on an island :)

I am also a ny red bull fan , and i dont get to see Palermo much. Mostly follow them on the web site and fsc when they are on. And they are my team in fifa 08.

It took a while to embrace the pink colors, lol , but i got over it. I wouldnt cheer for and mainland team , f the mainland !!!!

go sicily

take care people

23. colagrosso3

colagrosso3 New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Montreal
    anyone here remember antonio asta?

24. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I enjoy Palermo. They are a previously owned club on the Sensi family, who own Roma, so i have some support for them. At he beginning of last season, i was cursing Palermo to lose, for the benefit of Roma, but they are very disappointing this season. And selling key players to Torino was a big mistake. Let's hope this summer they make properly reinforcements for selling Amauri.

25. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yep Antonino Asta. Played for Torino as well. Was so impressive one year that Trap gave him a call-up to the national team once.