Why don't you guys let your neighbors play?

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by ZeekLTK, Jun 19, 2007.

1. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Instead of inviting teams like USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, etc. why don't you guys have Guyana and Surinam play in Copa America?

We all see what Guadeloupe is doing in the Gold Cup this year. I would say Guyana is about on par with Guadeloupe (hell, Guyana beat Guadeloupe twice in Gold Cup qualifying!), so it's not like they couldn't be competitive.

Do you guys think either Guyana or Surinam will ever get a chance to play in Copa America?

What will it take to get invited? A run in the Gold Cup like Guadeloupe, or something bigger?

2. Arango82

Arango82 Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Caracas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    If they ever get players like Edgar Davids, Seedorf, Kluivert, and others to play for them instead of Holland. One thing your post implies that Copa Oro is equal to Copa America.

Suriname has given birth to the best players of all Concacaf nations. Ironically they are South Americans.

3. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    One of the purposes of inviting teams is to make the tournament more entertaining and challenging.
    Bringing 2 teams that play consistently in the WC will do that.

Bringing Guyana and Surinam is not going to do any good for the country that hosts the tournament.
    I don't think that these 2 teams have the fan base and media coverage around the World that US and Mexico have.

4. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Personally, I'd love to have them participate in the Copa America...they just need to prove themselves in CONCACAF first.

For example, I think T&T would do a good job in Copa America, ditto for Guatemala, and that comes from a lot of work becoming competitive in CONCACAF over the years.

5. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    do they ever play or beat the ones like panama or san salvador?

6. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    You must first start from the bottom and earn your way and Concacaf is the portal to success It has taken Mexico a while to earn some kind of respect from south america to allow Mexico to participate in their event and now look at Mexico today they are a very competitive team in the world of international futbol, you can't just walk up to the giants of futbol and say let me in you must earn it!

7. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Another huge "issue" in this whole Surinam debate is the fact that I don't think Surinam allows for dual Dutch/Surinamese citizenship. In other words, if Davids, Kluivert, et al wanted to rep. Surinam they could rightfully do so, however they would lose their Dutch passport. Maybe at their age it is not that big a deal but if you're and up and coming player, that could really kill your chances of playing for a big club as you would be a non-EU player. This grouped with the fact that the Surinam FA probably has little or no money are probably the biggest two reasons why the team is not as good as it seems theoretically.

Metro

8. TCNJFan

TCNJFan New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Fairborn, OH
    Since Guyana and Suriname are FIFA members (unlike Guadeloupe), they could not call on foreign internationals with ties to the country to play for them.

If Guyana or Suriname (or Belize) start to succeed in qualifying for and participating in Gold Cups and World Cup qualifying, they should be considered (and they should also move to CONMEBOL at that point), but right now it's understandable that they would be left out of the Copa America.