Why don't American cities bid to host the Club World Cup? Should there be a future U.S. bid?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by 00Kevin, Nov 21, 2014.

?

What American region(s) should host our first CWC?

1. California

29.7%
  2. New York/DC/Philly

13.5%
  3. Pacific Northwest

16.2%
  4. Texas

13.5%
  5. Florida/Southeast

27.0%
  6. Midwest

8.1%
  7. New England

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other US City/region

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Canada

8.1%
  10. Nooooooooo please do not bring the CWC to North America

5.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough.

2. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally would love for the US to host the CWC. Because the host gets to send a team AND the competition is right after MLS Cup it seems like a perfect extension of that tournament. Win MLS Cup and then go play for the World Championship the following weeks. If MLS starts to win CCL then there would be 2 American clubs in the tournament. Warm weather cosmopolitan cities like LA or Miami could be good hosts. SUM does a good job promoting and finding sponsors for completely meaningless summer tournaments, why can't they do the same for an actual world championship?

3. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For some reason in FM2014 BMO Field in Toronto often gets it in 2017 or thereabouts. It might have trouble with a December game but Rogers Centre could probably do it.

4. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That is not the case. There is a limit of 1 club per country. In the event of a US team winning the CCL, and US subsequently hosting the edition to which it qualified, the "host" spot is replaced by the best performing non-US team in said CCL.

See 2008 FIFA Club World Cup

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  5. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll probably be a logistical nightmare because it's football season... a lot of states play the high school championships in those big stadiums

6. Gosling

Gosling Member

Dec 22, 2014
    Watertown, WI
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, December is a really bad time from a US perspective. First, NFL. Second, college bowls. Third, the MLS Cup might be wrapping, like, a week before the CWC starts, and since the domestic champion gets an auto-bid, the newly-crowned and probably exhausted champion would have to turn right around and face down God knows who. Fourth, I'm not sure US Soccer wants anything to do with a FIFA bid process right now.

If it did come to pass that the US got hosting rights, it would likely come down to using whatever pair of stadiums are nearby and available. Stubhub Center and LA Coliseum, I'd wager.

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2014 Club World Cup was played mostly on weekdays and Saturdays when there wouldn't be much football competition. None of the elite NCAA football teams play their bowl games until after the Club World Cup ended.

8. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Even if some stadiums had the open dates, a lot of the ones with natural grass are beat to shit after 3-4 months of American Football.

9. Gosling

Gosling Member

Dec 22, 2014
    Watertown, WI
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elite, no. But ESPN wouldn't set up half those bowl games (and make sure they all had their own time slots with no other bowl games going on at the time) if people weren't addicted to watching every single one of them. People want to see Middle Tennessee play San Jose St. in the Budget Rental Cars Bowl in a parking lot in Albuquerque? Sure, slap it on the air, why not. And if that and the CWC aired head-to-head in the US, the bowl game would win. That's the problem. Football strangles everything else. The Pro Bowl, as mocked as it is, gets ratings comparable to the World Series or NBA Finals. The MLS Cup gets strangled because there's an NFL playoff run going on. So that has to get accounted for.

10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't watch the Club World Cup if it was happening on my front lawn.

11. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    I'm sorry, but if you don't watch at least the UCL and Liberators Cup Finals, and have no desire to see those 2 titans clash on the pitch, then I question your fandom of club football.

AlbertCamus and Hill Giant repped this.
  12. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I really give a crap what you question, but...

I do watch the UCL final. Copa Lib, not so much. But I also don't watch the Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, or Liga MX. I watch the Premier League, but I'm mostly an MLS guy and an international soccer guy.

The Club World Cup just doesn't have a lot of intrigue to me. It doesn't have the stature of the UCL or the prestige, and soccer isn't the only sport I watch. I have to cut some stuff out.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, but what matters is how many people are interested in both and would watch the bowl game. I would expect most people watching the bowl games don't know what the Club World Cup is. The Club World Cup gets so little attention that I don't think what it's competing with matters much.

14. MattyB316

MattyB316 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Delco, PA (137 H)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The fact that it is in December really kills the idea based on other sports events and weather in most of the country.

But I think the only 2 places it would even be worth trying would be California (if you put more emphasis on the weather) or NY/Philly/DC.

Something like this I think it would come down to areas population density and popularity, for lack of a better word.

Easier to have financial success/draw more people in areas like Cali/Northeast where there already are a lot of people and are more desirable as a destination.

15. FCCali2016

FCCali2016 New Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Southern California could definitely host this

16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston or Miami would be ideal as well.

17. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Interesting that you are commenting on a thread about it then.

18. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I think Miami or somewhere in Florida would be great- it could be like a Latin America/Carribean/American type event. Weather in Florida is good that time of year- and it is a reasonable distance for both the European and South American team- you might even get some fan travel, Europeans love Florida. Also December when college football has stopped and the Miami Dolphins have been eliminated from the play-offs. You use the Dolphins stadium for the final and semi-finals, the new MLS stadium (if built), or something else (Orlando?) for the lesser games. Dophins only need to evacuate for a week (2 games).

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Club World Cup site is determined years in advance. Could it ever be played in a stadium that wasn't owned by a soccer club? Assuming the Miami Dolphins own their stadium, would they have any reason to let somebody else use their stadium? If you were Roger Goodell, the commissioner of the NFL, wouldn't you think that your league was the most popular in the United States and not want to have a soccer tournament in one of your stadiums during the season?

20. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I don't think the commissioner has any say if one or some the owners want to have a tournament in their stadiums during NFL season. I know the 2003 Women's World Cup was held in the US during NFL season (I'm not sure if NFL stadiums were used). The reason the CWC has not or will not be in the US is because it has low visibility and popularity here and thus no one sees how they could make more money here than elsewhere.

21. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Women's World Cup 2003 used six stadiums, of which two had NFL teams, Philadelphia and New England. The Club World Cup has used two stadiums, so having two nearby stadiums (by the standards of a large country like the USA) that do not have NFL teams should be easy. For example, the stadiums of NCAA rivals Ohio State and Michigan could be used. The NCAA Football regular season ends before the Club World Cup starts.

22. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe there are other examples that would be better, but I don't think Ohio State and Michigan would be a good one. The International Champions Cup, at which gate receipts are the main objective, doesn't mind playing on a field as narrow as Michigan Stadium, but I'd be surprised to see FIFA do it for an official event like the Club World Cup. Ohio Stadium may be almost as narrow.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they were to put this competition in the United States for some reason, there is absolutely zero chance it would be contested at Michigan Stadium and Ohio Stadium.

song219 repped this.
  24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is your front lawn often the host of international events and so you know, for a fact, that you wouldn't watch the thing, or is it just that the back yard is really where it's all happening?
    I don't have a front lawn these days, but I think back to when I did and I don't know that the play would be very good, it was kind of small and full of trees. Still, I'd probably have watched. Just to make sure they weren't putting dents in the car, if nothing else.

slitz and Roger Allaway repped this.
  25. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I just turned 40, so I'd probably just yell at all the whippersnappers to get off my lawn.

DBR70 and mschofield repped this.