Why doesn't the American sports public embrace soccer?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by uhclem, Apr 3, 2004.

1. uhclem

uhclem Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Spring Lake Park, MN
    Hello.

The most bedeviling question for just about every American soccer fan in this country, other than, “When am I going to haul in that powerball jackpot?” is:

“Why doesn’t the American sporting public (fans and journalists) embrace soccer?”

[Poster's note: The following post will be filled with generalities. I am aware that there exceptions to some of the statements I will be making. I am noting general trends and characteristics and extrapolating from them. I don't believe that the exceptions invalidate my conclusions.]

Some people site the game itself. Continuous action with few breaks or timeouts. The infrequency of scoring. The frequency of ties. The inconsistency and arbitrariness of officiating.

All of these, with the exception of the last, are traits not found in most popular American sports. But these are part of the game we love. We wouldn’t want to do anything to radically change them. Nor, would we have to, if we were to eliminate the primary reason America doesn’t embrace soccer.

Other people blame the media. “Soccer doesn’t get the coverage it should,” say soccer fans. They ignore that the news/sports media follow the public at large. Coverage of professional sports is primarily determined by attendance, television ratings, and level of play. Sports and sporting events in this country with consistently high attendance and high ratings get better coverage. Major League Baseball gets better coverage than AAA baseball. If professional soccer in this country drew more people and higher ratings, it would get better coverage.

Many soccer fans feel it is because the American sporting public doesn’t understand the game. “We need to educate the public about soccer,” they cry. “Once they understand the game, they’ll support it just as much as baseball, football, and NASCAR.”

Wrong.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Stop saying that. Never say it again. Every time a non or potential soccer fan sees or hears that, they either run screaming into the night or erect their barriers and defend them like Maldini with a hatchet.

First off, it’s condescending. In a recent special on the 100th anniversary of FIFA, Sepp Blatter, FIFA president talked about having many ideas to improve soccer before he assumed office. But, he abandoned most of them after being in office a short while and conferring with officials, coaches, players and fans around the world. Why? Because he came to realize that one of the most valuable features of the game is its simplicity.

And it is, at its base, simple. Put the ball into the goal without using your hands. Few sports are as simple. Believe me, most anyone understands the game well enough to became a fan.

“But, they don’t know anything about tactics, or formations, or the offsides rule.”

Big whoop. The average basketball fan can’t tell you how Lakers coach Phil Jackson’s triangle offense works. Your average NASCAR fan would be lost if given an engine to get Talladega-race ready. And, these days, the NFL changes its rules or the enforcement of them so often that the average fan can't keep up.

Doesn’t matter. They still remain fans.

One of the most common and blindly egotistical viewpoints held by a shockingly large percentage of people on this planet is “If only they understood the situation/problem/facts as well as I do, they’d agree with me.” Occasionally, yes. Most of the time, no.

So the question remains, “Why doesn’t the American sporting public embrace soccer?”

While there are many minor reasons of varying small degrees of significance, there is one reason that overrides them all. And, that answer is as elegantly simple as the game, itself.

It’s because the United States of America isn’t great at soccer.

America loves winning. America hates losing.

This is true of people the world over. But it is more keenly felt in America, because we tend to win more often than anywhere else. We are the materially richest nation in the world. We are the most militarily powerful nation in the world. We are the most influential nation in the world. America and Americans are used to having things go their way.

This attitude is reflected in their sports fandom. Other than currant geographic location and the “hometown” factor, nothing determines the choice of team for an American sports fan more than how consistently it wins championships.

Merchandise sales reflect this. The biggest merchandise seller in the NBA? The Lakers. In the 90’s it was the Bulls. In baseball? The Yankees, by far. The NFL? Green Bay, Dallas, and Oakland.

This is reflected in the American sports fans choice of sports. We like baseball, football, and basketball because we created them and we're the beat at them. (For our international readers: I know that all of these sports have appeared in other forms in other places much earlier than their date of “creation” here. But their current rules and structure are pretty thoroughly American.) Hockey is our fourth major team sport because it was invented in Canada (“our national suburb”, sorta ;) ) and we are consistently among the best at it and occasionally do win it all.

The most popular form of auto racing in America? It’s not Formula One, dominated by Europeans. Nor is it even Indy Car Racing, since its biggest race, the Indy 500, has been won by foreign drivers, more often than not, over the past 15 years. It’s NASCAR, dominated by American drivers.

The most dramatic example of this phenomenon is bicycle racing. The Tour de France was a one day curiosity on ABC’s Wide World of Sports, until 1986 when Greg Lemond won it. His next win in 1989, arguably the most dramatic in Tour history, cemented the event in the American sports fan’s consciousness. And during the Lance Armstrong era, we’ve seen coverage expand greatly, with the Tour’s television ratings higher than they’ve ever been, and Lance himself becoming one of the top five celebrity endorsers in the country.

Alas, American soccer hasn’t had any major success anywhere. The highest we have ever gone in the World Cup is the semi-finals, which we did in 1930. We have never medaled in the Olympics in soccer. We have never produced a Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, or Muhammad Ali in the sport.

And that is why the American sporting public has never embraced soccer. Which kinda leads to another question. Will they ever?

I believe the answer is yes.

Here’s what it will take.

First, American soccer must find and develop a soccer prodigy (a forward or attacking midfielder, as they are the glamour positions of soccer). They must have him play in the MLS for a few years, showcasing him and marketing him to the public. Only then should the MLS agree to a transfer to one of the powerhouses of European club football. He will need to truly excel there, helping his club win lots of silverware and becoming one of the greatest, if not the greatest, players in the sport. He must lead the U.S. National Team to the World Cup finals, preferably winning it.

At that point, it is key that the MLS open its checkbook and bring him back to the U.S. while he is still in his prime, simultaneously launching a massive campaign to lure some of the best players in the world to the MLS. If they are successful at doing this, they can market themselves to the American public as a truly top-flight league in the world of soccer. And in the world of American sports, nothing brings ‘em in like being at the top.

Obviously, this will take a while, even assuming that Freddy Adu is the prodigy (which is quite an assumption at this early stage). My guess is that, with a little luck, it’ll be somewhere between ten and twenty years at the present pace.

However, that doesn’t mean that all the little things we do as fans and promoters of the game are futile. Keep writing in to your local media outlets asking for more soccer coverage. Keep telling your friends and co-workers about the great game you went to over the weekend. Keep lugging anyone who’ll go with you to the matches. Keep doing whatever you can to keep the game alive here. You never know how or when the next prodigies will first hear about or experience the game.

Girding my loins for battle (quit peeking), I remain

That little old jersey collector

Me

2. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    I'm torn between congratulating you on a well-thought out and persuasively argued post, and wondering who you are a sock puppet for.

3. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    These people don't under stand the game. Even most of the parents of players who have never played don't understand the game.

They just see the scoring or lack of scoring of goals. They can't see what is actually going on all over the field that helps you to score goals.

They are blind to seeing the off ball movement that goes on in games. They can't see that. So for them focusing on the dribbler is enough. It is not enough. Maybe when watching it on TV it should be shot from very high up. So they could see all the movement going that creates the space that lets a 12 yard pass in the middle of the field look wide open, when 2 seconds before that space was all jamed up.

Another reason why "they" don't get it is because to get it. You have to have a love for the game. "They" don't have that love of game. Parent coaches who try to coach the game to little kids, don't have that love. So they can't pass that love on to those little kids.

That love of game is the most important thing a coach can give the player. How can one pass that love on when they never had it?

When most people have that love of game. That's when it will really be dug in America.

So it is not the goals, it is not getting a lot of wins but that doesn't hurt. It is catching the love of game. I would advise anyone to just play it is fun. Even if your bad just play. The more you play the more you will learn. Then you will start to catch that love of game.

For coaches don't do anything that can spoil that love of game for the young player. If it means taking a loss you take a loss. If you can't live with that from time to time do not coach young kids.

4. Oktoberfest

Oktoberfest New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Why doesn't the American public embrace soccer?

Why does the German public for that matter not embrace baseball or football? Why does the Dutch sports public by and large not show any interest in cricket, a sport that is followed in many member countries of the Commonwealth?

It's a cultural thing imho. But culture can be changed. Take tennis for example. Tennis in Germany used to be a sport that had hardly any following, until a young kid by the name of Boris Becker came along and won his first few Wimbledon championships. Followed by Steffi Graf. And from there the interest for tennis amongst the German public skyrocketed. I do realize that tennis is an individual sport as opposed to soccer. But faring exceptionally well in a world championship (first or even second place), coupled with a few outstanding individual performances, would do the sport of soccer in the U.S. a world of good. More airtime would also help. Just think about how much celebrity status Hold'em Poker (which imo isn't even a sport) has gained, since it has debuted and consistently been aired on ESPN and the Travel Channel. Comparing the situation with 1994 though, we've come a long way in this country, soccerwise. Driving through the suburbs on weekends, I see tons of young kids in soccer practice on the fields. Also, a good number of American professionals now play or have played in Europe which is arguably "the" most competent continent in the world when it comes to soccer. These guys will eventually come back and be huge assets to the MLS, in the role of players, coaches and, dare I say, role models for young kids. It takes time, but the snowball is rolling, and it can't be stopped. I boldly predict that in ten to fifteen years, U.S. soccer will be the envy of the world.

5. Tivo_fan

Tivo_fan New Member

Apr 4, 2004
    NYC
    It's just a matter of time.

The next generation will be just a fanatical about soccer as football.

Take your kids to games.

6. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

It's not a given, but totally possible.

Hell, 50 years ago, American football was a second tier sport. Kind of like MLS is now.

7. uhclem

uhclem Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Spring Lake Park, MN
    Hello

It looks like it's time for me to respond to the responses posted so far.

First, I want to thank all of you for reading and considering the case I have made.

For NoSix: Thanks for the complement on my post. I am not anyone's sockpuppet. (However, I wouldn't mind being Salma Hayek's sockpuppet.) (Please, don't nobody tell my inamorata.)

For Oktoberfest: We seem to be in basic agreement. However, I do disagree with you a little bit about the culture thing. I do think a country's sporting culture is a very important part of the puzzle, probably second only to winning. But winning triumphs. American cycling is again the evidence, but we go earlier for this point.

It's not a commonly known fact, but around the turn of the twentieth century, when competitive cycling was in it's infancy, the United States was a major cycling world power. Track cycling, especially six day races, took in massive amounts of money. Attendance was huge and the U.S. produced many cycling champions, including one of world cycling's first superstars, Major Taylor. The sport thrived in this country from the 1890's through the 1920's. But a combination of the Depression, mismanagement by the promoters of the sport, and lack of investment in the infrastructure of the sport (venues, youth talent development, etc.) killed the sport in America by the start of World War 2. When America quit producing cycling champions, America lost interest in a sport it was largely responsible for globally popularising.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your post. More air-time would help. It is worth noting, however, that between the MLS club's regional TV contracts and the coverage that they receive from ABC/ESPN and Fox Sports World (which broadcasts both games and an hour-long weekly highlight show), plus the A-league's game of the week on FSW, that professional American soccer has a greater television presence than ever in the history of the sport in the U.S.

When we get better at playing the game, we'll get more of a baseball/football quantity of coverage.

For Tivo_fan: SABuffalo786 is right. It isn't just a matter of time. Parents have been taking their kids to pro soccer games since the NASL set up shop. But the carryover from kids who play soccer and kids who were brought to soccer games by their parents is significantly less than the carryover from the other, more popular sports. By all means, bring as many kids as you can cram into your minivan to the games. Every little bit helps. But, if we don't keep getting better at the game until we become among the best in the world at it, it will never catch on bigtime. Fortunately, we seem, on the whole, to be heading in the right direction.

For Richie: Please, quit saying that these people don't understand the game. You're just alienating them.

On the level that you describe in your third paragraph, you're right. Most people don't understand the game. But at the level you describe in your third paragraph, hardly any fan of whatever sport he follows understands his sport. Find a sports radio call-in show who has landed the coach or manager of one of the local pro teams. Listen to the quality of questions and suggestions from the callers. If you could see the face of the coach/manager, you'd see him roll his eyes more than if he took a clean left hook from Roy Jones Jr. These fans obviously have an incomplete and flawed understanding of their sport. But they are undoubtedly fans.

An even more stark example. Take a seven year-old kid plunked down in front of the teevee, watching a football game with his dad. He watches a runningback score on a 70 yard touchdown run. How would that 7 year-old describe what he saw?

"The quarterback got the ball and gave it to [whomever] who faked out a guy and ran it in for a touchdown." And that would be the extent of his understanding of what happened.

He would have no idea that the quarterback was using an irregular snap count to keep the defensive lineman from getting a jump on the snap. He wouldn't be able to recognise the trap block that the Center made on the defensive end to open the hole for the runningback. He would have no idea that the wide receivers had opened the middle of the field by running go routes, pulling the safeties deep and keeping them from providing run support. He wouldn't have a clue about the dozen or more things that occurred during that play that enabled that runningback to score. But, I can guarantee you that the next time that seven year-old boy gets taken to the mall, he will be begging his parents to buy him [whomever]'s jersey. That seven year-old has a rudementary understanding of football, at best. But that seven year-old is a football fan.

Let me tell you about the first time I ever won money on a bet.

When I was seven years old, I was sitting on the sofa watching a boxing match on TV, when my father walked into the room. As far as I can remember, this was the first boxing match I had ever seen. After having watched the first two rounds, which was when my father walked in, I had figured out that the object of the game was to hit the other guy and not let him hit you.

"What are you watching?", my dad asked.

"Fighting," I replied.

After a moment's pause, my dad asked me, "Who do you think is going to win?"

"The guy in the white shorts," I said.

"His name is Cassius Clay," my dad told me.

"Who's the other one?"

"He's Sonny Liston. He's going to win."

"Uh-uh. Cassius Clay is."

My dad half smiled at me. "Wanna bet?"

Cautiously, I asked, "How much?"

"A nickel."

" 'Kay."

Let's just say that I had extra Bazooka Joe during the last week of February, 1964.

I knew nothing about boxing. My boxing experience before making that bet was having watched two rounds of that fight. But on that day, I knew greatness when I saw it, even when that greatness entered the bout as a 7 to 1 underdog. I have been a boxing fan ever since.

People don't need to understand more than the very basics to become fans. And the basics of soccer are:

Whichever team scores the most goals, wins the game.

You score by getting the ball in the goal.

The Goalkeeper can use any part of his body to touch the ball.

All the other players can use any part of their bodies to touch the ball except their hands and arms.

Those are all the basics people absolutely need to know to become fans. Once they have started to become a fan, then they will make the effort to learn more, although they will probably never understand the game as well as a good coach or an experienced player.

Women's Artistic Gymnastics is one of the biggest ratings winners in this country at each Summer Olympics and receives prime time coverage because millons of Americans tune in to watch it. Rhythmic Gymnastics is hardly even mentioned. Why? It's not because the average viewer can tell the difference between a double salto with a full twist and a Peanut Buster Parfait with extra sprinkles, because they cant. It's because America has produced Cathy Rigby, Mary Lou Retton, Shannon Miller and Kerri Strug, along with quite a few other medal winners in Artistic Gymnastics. Can you name even one American Rhythmic gymnast without using a search engine? Neither can 99.99 percent of the rest of the country. Because America is not great at Rhythmic Gymnastics.

The vast majority of Americans will not catch the love of the game until America gets great at the game.

Most of the rest of the post is advice for players and coaches:

Coaches should try to pass on a love for the game. Even if you are not good at playing, play anyway, because you will learn more about the game. For coaching young players, wins and losses are not as important as teaching them how to play the game properly.

This advise is basically very sound. But it is tangental to the topic.

"When most people have that love of game. That's when it will really be dug in America."

No offense, but the above quote is a clumsily worded redundancy.

When America gets great at soccer, that's when it will really be dug in America.

Wishing I had found someone willing to put a nickel on Poland last Wednesday, I remain

That little old jersey collector

Me

8. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    Hey uhclem,

I'd like to take a stab at the journalism side of your question. I started writing soccer articles back in high school, and later lived each week to read stuff by Sam Foulds, Willy Keo, Joe Marcus in Soccer America. Wanted to someday be like them. Problem was, there wasn't a lot of world-class (or even top-notch US) soccer readily available for me to watch, learn about, or write about back in the early 1970s in the midwest. No Fox Sports World or ESPN2. And, if you wanted to be a sportswriter, you started off with high school football or basketball assignments. Period. Did what you were told to do, like any other job. IMO, American sportswriters have been forever nurtured with a provincial view of the sporting world. Either baseball prior to WW II or football/basketball once college journalism degrees became important to anybody. It's how the majority of them willingly got started and became acclimated to the business.
    Soccer was considered only as filler & back-page. Change is difficult. New tricks are tough for old dogs.

9. NEwfan08

NEwfan08 New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    soon to the Pac NW
    I am a huge fan of both American and European football. The simple differences in the TV presentation are a simple enough reason to understand why the Beautiful Game is not popular in America.

NFL broadcasts are so perfect for the Ameican mentality. They run a play. Stop. Regroup. Run another play. In between plays they run instant re-plays from 3 angles. The teams stop between quarters for more reviews ect. It is the perfectly visual presentation for the American attention span.

Soccer will be more popular in 15-20 years in the States. The continual flow of play is going to be an uphill battle however.

My 2 cents.

10. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

you guys forget something, Quality. I know MLS or our Nat Team is good enough but, people demanding a much better quality (by the way i fell asleep when i watched US-Haiti, and US - Poland ), a better soccer or a more attractive soccer than what we have now, they used to watch EPL, La Liga, Serie A etc......remember last summer when ManU, Barcelona etc played their preparation for this year's season here, most of stadium are sold out ! thats what our American fans really wanna watch, so, someday i hope, the time will come, MLS is getting better and better each season and so is our national team.

11. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason is simple: our attention span.

Soccer is indeed the beautiful game. The give and take, the flow of the game, the constant movement fore and back, side to side, testing weaknesses. The context and importance of each and every goal. The disappointment of a blown attempt, but the congratulatory applause for the effort.

These games are of course best viewed in their entirely, live from the pitch. They translate well to television, can be cut down as sort of a 'summary of chances' as European League games shown on ESPN often are. However, they do not translate well as highlights.

Americans like highlights and short bursts of activity. It's our attention span. We can't be bothered about something that happened 5 minutes ago that is part of the context of this latest event. We want to see what just happened NOW, and it better be shorter than 5 seconds. Granted, every once in a while, a really cool goal will make it into the top 10 'plays of the day', but most goals, especially in MLS, are not as spectacular.

Americans don't like gentlemanly sports. Oh sure, some complain, but for the most part we like our basketball players to scream in the defenders face as they get dunked on, we like it when a pitcher throws in a little chin music, and we enjoy the defensive linebacker smashing some 180-lb wide reciever.

Speaking of which, we like our atheletes to be especially large. 6'4, 320 lbs. a 6'9" shooting guard, and a 7' NBA center. What's with these normal-looking, albeit very fit people, running around? They're not atheletes!

And now, the general face of the United States is directly in line with our foreign policy: if it isn't American, we don't want it! Soccer is seen here as a sport of hispanics and Europeans, and we don't want anything to do with it.

Until soccer in the U.S. gets some genuine athletic freaks of nature to do some spectacular, highlight-reel stuff on a regular basis, most Americans just aren't going to tune in. I don't mind at all. I'd be perfectly happy with a 14-team, 20 thousand seat stadium-filled league here in the US. Bigger than now, but not too much.

12. AZ-Alkmaar

AZ-Alkmaar New Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Holland
    There is a simple reason why Americans don't like soccer. It's because they are not good at it themselves, and Americans only play something if they can win.
    Thats why they play sports like basketball and baseball. Nobody else plays that, so they can win everything in that sport and say there the best.

There is also a reason why America is not good at soccer. It's because they are to buisy attacking, and if you do that the opponent can get in a 2-0 lead verry easy.
    (I was not refering to the terrible wars started by te USA or to the 2 towers that were destroyed in a terrible accident.)

13. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will never understand the whole 'Americans only like stuff they are good at' argument. We are the best at women's soccer. Yet the league collapses. Explain, please. The United States leads the world in computer programming, yet its not a spectator sport -- yet!

First of all, America is good at soccer internationally. Many countries who claim to 'love' soccer would love to have the success the United States has in the olympics and World Cup -- especially recently. Remember last World Cup? Would Italy, Ireland, Denmark, Japan, Sweden, Paraguay, prefer to have made it past the first round? Well, the United States did.

Many people just don't like the United States, and feel that since the United States does not embrace soccer, that it must be a bastion of people who only like success and are bad people.

I don't particularly like Snooker, does that mean that the English are bad people? If I don't like watching camels racing around in spirals, does that make me a bad person? Sometimes people just don't like the sports of other countries. It doesn't mean they are 'front-runners.'

I don't think so. If you do, so be it.

14. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    I am not going to read what you all just wrote, but you are all wrong.

Most Americans are stupid.
    Stupid people don’t like soccer.
    Therefore:
    Most Americans don’t like soccer.

You can try but you’ll find no fallacies in my logic.

15. j&bontherock

We did not qualify for Athen in basket ball and the baseball lost to Mexico recently...

16. AZ-Alkmaar

AZ-Alkmaar New Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Holland
    1-"Didn't the Dutch win the last Olympic Gold for baseball?"
    Yes, but I'm not proud of it.

2-"How is the deadliest terrorist act in human history considered an "accident"?"
    Okay you are right, it wasn't an accident. It was a CIA conspiracy.

3-Americans should stop killings inocent iraqi's and start hanging spoiled kids like ADU.

17. j&bontherock

i agree, we are stupid because we went to the moon before everybody did, we're stupid because we invented the computer & internet, we're stupid because we made planes and cars etc

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Basketball is possibly the second most popular game in the world. Baseball is a major sport in several Latin American countries and much of East Asia as well.

Since English isn't your native language, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt--but do you know what 'accident' means?

19. AZ-Alkmaar

AZ-Alkmaar New Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Holland
    "Since English isn't your native language, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt--but do you know what 'accident' means?"

I can only say this: thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt, I will need it.

20. j&bontherock

Our innocent people were killed everywhere, the criminals killed iraqi's inocent people.

21. AZ-Alkmaar

AZ-Alkmaar New Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Holland
    Hey, don't make this a political forum. It might be interesting, but we should be talking about football here. And about great players like Barry van Galen.

22. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently this thread is about to be hijacked (sorry, bad choice of words...but maybe appropriate, eh, AZ-Alkmaar?).

Back to the original subject. The NFL commissioned a university study (and I've, unfortunately lost the URL) a couple of years ago to understand what creates 'fandom'.

The study found three things: being taken to the sport by an older relative (the study said 'father') in your pre-teen years, having a sports hero that you can identify with and seeing the team as representing your community.

Given that, it would seem that a number of the ideas fit...'take you kid to a game', develop a world class forward or midfielder, and identify the community as being the nation. And if you think that your nation sucks at a sport, then that's not one that allows you to feel is related to your community.

Interesting.

23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. A couple weeks ago, I was on some thread where one guy had mentioned he was going to miss an upcoming Euro something-or-other because of the NCAA hoops tourney.
    A "soccerfan" came on to berate this unclean unbeliever, because, as you know, no 'true' soccer fan would ever miss a game for some other sport. How could he even call himself a soccer fan at all if he actually cared more about a sport--even in this is the USA, where most of us have grown up following American sports since birth.

That "all-or-nothing", soccer-as-holy-calling mentality turns the average sports fan off--as it should.

24. Ferdi

Ferdi New Member

Jun 1, 2003
    the Netherlands
    I feel the need to apologize for a certain retarded countryman of mine that goes by the name of AZ-Alkmaar. His eternal sarcasm and need to piss off Americans is rather annoying, I know. Calling him 'Hans' is funny. Call me Hans whenever you like. So, IGNORE AZ-ALKMAAR. HE IS RETARDED.

Dear MattR,

I would like to point out that soccer not being popular in America is not the prime reason for the US being disliked in certain parts of the world. People like AZ-Alkmaar, in other words fundamentalist Muslims, dislike the USA because of what it stands for, freedom. (And a certain war that isn't turning out that well, although I still support it).

Thank you.

Bye!

25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, don't accuse people of murdering children in a soccer forum.