Why does Japan wear blue?

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Golazo!!, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Golazo!!

Golazo!! Red Card

Jul 1, 2007
    For their jerseys? You would think they would wear red, does blue have any significance in Japanese culture? Or did the JFA officials simply choose blue to stand out from the rest of asia?

2. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Re: Why does Japana wear blue?

Good question. I've seen Yatagarasu in blue but I've seen it in all sorts of colours and I would've thought black would be the default, so blue makes no sense.

Maybe there is a good reason but I never thought about it to be honest. As for standing out, do you think blue really stands out that much...? I think blue is one of the most bog standard colours out there. I can think of many unusual, unused colours other than blue. So that wouldn't make sense either.

Anyone care to shed light on this choice of blue?

3. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004

I beg your pardon for double post, but I just googled in Japanese. How accurate this is I don't know but the crux of it is that it's a mystery. It talks about how it was always blue long ago and it was changed only to be put back to blue again as performance didn't improve etc etc probably this probably that.

4. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

hehe, u should be glad u're not asking this question over at TRSN! matsu would have chopped ur head off^^

well, why do Italy play in blue? or Germany in white?

i don't remember the reason why Japan plays in blue, it's probably just a coincidence....anyway, i think they got great shirts ;) they should change their shirt sponsor to Mizuno though, which in my opinion makes really good-looking shirts. ( like Cerezo away :rolleyes: )

5. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004

There are bits and bobs of info online it seems, but they all say probably this, probably that. Nothing concrete. Apparently Kawabuchi said it's the sky and the sea that symbolize Japan, then again that was a reason given afterwards rather than it being the originating motivation behind the choice.

Any more than that I don't know. I'm just relaying what I read in Japanese sites, I think it's likely that it really is a mystery. You would've thought there'd be something concrete by now if there was a proven reason.

6. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001

Japan went blue after Korea returned on the international scene, after the Swiss WC (54). Japan was red until the late 60's, I believe.

7. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004

svasco, not quite like that. Too much of a hassle to go through all the erratic changes but apparently the light blue was in use long before (again for unknown reason). It seems like all colours used and changed have been pretty sporadic and obfuscated.

8. Golazo!!

Golazo!! Red Card

Jul 1, 2007

germany plays in white and black because those are the historical colors of prussia

9. fuschia

fuschia Member

Jan 28, 2005

Italy plays in blue because that was the color of the monarchy when the team was created.

10. Ishikawa18

Ishikawa18 New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Germany
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

We play in White/Black because it was the colors of Preußen (Old Germany)

11. Ishikawa18

Ishikawa18 New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Germany
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Oh, Golazo answerd the question before
    didn't see that :eek:

12. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

OFF-TOPIC - Italy played in white until 1910 or so, I think.

13. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Isn't the Emperor of Japan represented by blue? If so, that's probably why.