Why do we suck so bad at home?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by okcomputer, Jun 13, 2005.

1. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    We were totally outplayed yesterday and only have 1 home win all year and that was only because we scored in the 90th minute against Chicago. We look great on the road and slow and lifeless at home. I thought for awhile it was the fieldturf but we looked crappy on grass in Giants Stadium against Chicago and DC also. Any ideas?

2. fan

fan New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    The players hate the paying fans? I can understand loosing, but not even looking like you're trying (first half) is just an insult.

3. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't understand it either.

4. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I don't know, but there has been exactly one entertaining game (believe it or not KC) and one exciting moment (Amado's goal against Chicago). Otherwise it has been complete garbage time.

5. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its different mentality when playing at home vs away

Metro seems to be a good counter attacking team, but louzy with possesion .

Playing away we defend, home team atttacking us and we kill them on counter attack.

Playing at home we try hard to force attack and control the ball, but we don't have that skill or the players for that. We need to play differnt style at home, we need to open up the game on the wings, streaching the other team. We make too many simple mistakes that is why.

6. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    I think it's Nick :p

7. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well of course

its his team, his players, his strategy

8. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely off topic, soccerfan, that avatar should be bigger, it's tough to make out the, ah, um, team names.....

9. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    When I've attended the games at home, we've won once and tied twice, so obviously, I need to attend every home game for the team to win. I have tickets for three more games, but then I'm going to need you guys to all chip in for the rest of the season. Should I post my PayPal account link here? C'mon, guys! Don't you want Metro to win? :p

10. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY
    Actually, we need to get my ex-girlfriend to the matches. She has a perfect winning record for the home team to every soccer match she's been to. Started going to matches with me in the 2000 year I think (not sure if I'm getting it right, but the one where Ramos actually was healthy and we got Mathis), and in matches abroad when we've traveled to other countries in Europe. She moved to Mexico to study, but I have to say, her record for watching matches is pretty impressive.

11. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    Metro is unbeaten when I watch the matches at the swamp. Unfortunately that does noone any good anymore.

I blame it on the FieldTurf. It was alright when it was first installed, but everyone knows after about two years, the stuff basically turns into cushioned AstroTurf. The ball doesnt bounce because of the rubber, the players can't run well because of the rubber. Only good to come out of it is 'keepers can make more gutsy dives and saves because of the cushioning. It's awful though.

In any case, its not all that bad, because visiting teams can't score in the swamp either.

12. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    wind?

But the tactics for this game were bad we rely on our backs to pass long to Razov? That is the way to win by pass Armado and Yuri to get to Razov. Are our backs good long passers? Does this sound like good tactics?

Get the ball to Armando or Youri short and let them try to hit Razov.

13. blank25

blank25 Member

May 18, 2002
    bergen county
    you are correct. this field stinks.Grass is the only way to play soccer

14. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    We played on grass vs. DC, so we can suck on any surface. DC always play a high-pressure game against us. They allow us no room coming out of defense. Many long passes out of the back are due to every midfield player being covered, with DC players ready to intercept in the passing lanes. They know us well; we have changed that little in spite of all the changes. Attempts to work up the wing were thwarted, and DC was willing to run more, allowing coverage in depth on defense and space on the attack. We tried to move through the middle, but too often turned over the ball; few attacks finished with shots on goal.

And they beat us to most 50-50 balls; they simply put more into the game. Evidently no one wants to face Novak after the game not having put out 110%.

I did think SGR brought a real jolt of energy onto the field; he was willing to challenge DC for the loose balls, and often came up the winner. Only rarely have we played to the strength of this guy. I think Bob has a way he wants the team to play, and he expects the players to fill roles. In a column on Gansler at MLSnet.com, he remarked that he always looks at his players first -- at what they can do -- and he builds his tactics around that. This is not just about SGR, but every player -- how does a coach make it possible for them to play their best and get results for the team?

Our new GM may want to find a coach who can do that with the kind of players we have, and the kind we are likely to get.

15. twelfth man

twelfth man New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Connecticut
    It's Bradley's team not Nick's team

16. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the team was depressed Nick was leaving? oh, right...

other than that: sorry to say it bluntly, but BB has to get more out of this team at home... it's been two plus years of him as coach, and by now we ought to have some game plan to follow in order to make it next to impossible for opponents to get points off us in GS in a regular basis.....and yet...

17. SFA1

SFA1 New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    When I saw the formation(4-2-2-2), I knew we could be in trouble. Nobody plays it. We need to play a 4-4-2 or 3-4-3 or even my worse 3-5-2 but something that has been used before. Move Djorkaeff and SGR to wing and Abrahim with Razov at forward and you will see a lot better play.

18. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    Field turf was fine until the Giants tampered with it by making the "Grass" shorter.

19. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    Maybe a more enthusiastic crowd would help. We all know how when you hear people cheering for you you just seem to play better. Not that I can help, I've been trying to get up there since like forever but my parents really would rather soccer disappear.