Why do we hate Bush (today)?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Demosthenes, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've been hearing a lot about the left's irrational, vicious and personal hatred of the President. It seems to me that Bush's supporters, unable to defend his actions, are trying to turn the tables and condemn every criticism as irrational vitriol. I'm sure others would disagree.

So what I'm wondering is, how do people characterize their own feelings about the President? Is it personal, is it political, is it based on his record?

2. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    You wanna know why? OK, I'll tell ya why. It's that look he gets. You know the one. That furled brow, slightly puzzled, deer in the headlights look that makes him resemble a befuddled chimpanzee. He makes that overly rouged, bad-dye-jobbed Reagan and that smirking lech Clinton look downright presidential by comparison.

3. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow - that does sum it up pretty well. My favorite bits:

however immaterial or inconvenient the fact may be, it remains true that Bush is just not a terribly bright man. (Or, more precisely, his intellectual incuriosity is such that the effect is the same.) On the rare occasions Bush takes an extemporaneous question for which he hasn't prepared, he usually stumbles embarrassingly. When asked in July whether, given that Israel was releasing Palestinian prisoners, he would consider releasing famed Israeli spy Jonathan Pollard, Bush's answer showed he didn't even know who Pollard is. "Well, I said very clearly at the press conference with Prime Minister [Mahmoud] Abbas, I don't expect anybody to release somebody from prison who'll go kill somebody," he rambled.

The persistence of an absurdly heroic view of Bush is what makes his dullness so maddening. To be a liberal today is to feel as though you've been transported into some alternative universe in which a transparently mediocre man is revered as a moral and strategic giant... But then you conclude that you're actually not missing anything at all. You decide Bush is a dullard lacking any moral constraints in his pursuit of partisan gain, loyal to no principle save the comfort of the very rich, unburdened by any thoughtful consideration of the national interest, and a man who, on those occasions when he actually does make a correct decision, does so almost by accident.

4. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    I never cared much for Clinton after NAFTA, and him calling labor unions "neandorthals," so I wasn't going to get motivated for a Bush v Gore fight, what with bush claiming he was a "compassionate conservative," a "new kind of republican", and all that other stuff which soon turned out to be absolute b---sh-t.
    John Ashcroft compares rather favourably, I suppose, with the craziest of Reagan's appointments, but in general its clear that these were the same old civil liberty hating, environment destroying, tax-cut for the rich givin' suns of bitches, only with a kindler, gentler, pr department.

5. Harry Ottis Guff

Harry Ottis Guff BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    I think Bush is alright! Everyone seems to blame this one man for the whole world being a shithole, easier that way isnt it? He's ok! No matter what anyone says, the guy got rid of Suddam, and when you attack the war, you should remember that Suddam's "government" was the alternative. Either way, this is all getting boring, to many leftist wannabe's getting all excited over nothing. I think people on the left enjoyed the war more than anyone, getting a chance to march and pretend it's the 60's all over again! They should be thanking Bush for the opportunity!

6. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    :D

Fantastic article.

God bless America.

p.s. I can see a clear similarity with italian Berlusconi hatred.
    It is not for nothing they're buddies.

7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So then you are saying that American leaders that did not depose Saddam (like, say, Bush the Elder) are hearless, amoralists while leaders that actively helped Saddam (like, say, Reagan) are immoral accessories to mass slaughter?

8. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Indeed. Freakin' great stuff.

9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Bush has taken average intelligence & good family connections to the pinnacle of American politics. Not exactly an easy thing to do considering Jeb was supposed to be the political "star" of the family. I am dismayed that as a president he's not more intellectually stimulated. But something like reading the major papers and watching tv news should be ingrained in someone at an early age. He just decided to skip that news "stuff" at one point or another. Pretty amazing considering all that's going on in the world now. He's got to be considered one of the greatest over-achievers ever.

Not to slam Clinton......but IMO he's the flip side of Dubya. Great intellectual gifts, a goal to become President since he was conceived in a watermelon patch in Arkansas and superior people & public speaking skills. He COULD'VE done much, much more with his presidency than he did. A booming economy will be the thing he's most remembered for and he can't take all the credit for it. I think he'd really like 4 more yrs. to set things right with his legacy. He seems like a sad man without a mission nowadays.

10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

if anyone needed verification that W is a piece of garbage... here it is

12. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Not that anyone's taking you seriously anyway, but you might see about brightening up your arguments by spelling people's names correctly.

13. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    But that's part of his schtick to make him seem like a spotty 14 year old.

At least, I hope that's a schtick....

14. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    I just wanted to say *#*#*#*# the Blues.

15. Harry Ottis Guff

Harry Ottis Guff BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    Has anyone seen my political beard, it was on my face but I seem to have lost it!

16. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    of course you would - see you in the playoffs...oh... wait... what am i saying?! no we won't

17. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    you have now discovered the root of my angst.
    But seriously i hate the *#*#*#*#ing Blues.

Blackhawks suck, but they are still my Mighty Blackhawks.

18. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    You know, I started out liking Bush. But his sh1t has just plain wore me down. That editorial was awsome.

19. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Insincere, untrustworthy, lying creep. And not even trying to hide it (or doing a bad job at it)

20. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    This is such a rediculous statement, that it proves this writer has no credibility, on defining who is radical.

21. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Uh, the guy's solution to the Social Security problem during his campaign was to privatize Social Security. Yes, calling this a return to pre-New Deal government would be an exaggeration, but not much of one, which is exactly what was written.

22. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Do you have any clue what the amount of non- military spending by the federal government prior to the New Deal was relative to Bush's budget?

To claim that they are in any way comparable is non-credible.

If anything Bush has not been nearly as agressive as conservatives would like in reducing spending.

I'm sorry but I don't buy the we hate Bush because he is a radical right winger argument, just like I didn't buy the argument that the right made that Clinton was a dangerous radical left winger because of his health care proposals.

23. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Not surprising at all, but maybe GW's even more out of touch with his own country. That ariticle adds to the theory that Bush is merely a puppet and our country is run by the people surrounding him. Maybe GW isn't the evil person liberals like to paint him as but that he's just that out of touch with reality and the negative consequences of the Administration's choices and policies. Surely the postives of their choices are getting to him as they are recycled over and over and over..