Why do I slice?

Discussion in 'Golf' started by Matt in the Hat, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And why does it get worse as the round progresses? I can keep my drives pretty straight when I take off some force. I end up getting about 225 off the tee.

But somewhere around the 11th or 12th the same swing sends my ball about 10 yards off line. Does it have to do with being too loose and how do I correct it?

I've been working on solidifying my grip and it helps but it's not the entire answer.

2. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    I slice as well, and I'm going to try to use the indoor range this winter to work on it.

Obviously, there's probably dozens of reasons different folks slice, but my sense is that the most common is an outside-in swing. That's definitely my main problem, so that's where I'm focusing.

That and the grip. And that's where maybe you're thinking backwards. From what I've read and then started tinkering with, a too firm grip actually can create a slice. That was also part of my problem. I had my thumb on top of the grip, pointing along the shaft of the club, and that kept it nice and firm. But it didn't allow for the club to turn over while making contact, which takes draw out of the equation.

So it was either:
    A) Perfect swing and the ball would go straight.
    B) Any slightly imperfect contact creates slice.

If you haven't read Ben Hogan's Five Fundamentals book, I'd suggest grabbing a copy this winter. I'm just going through trying to apply them, and I can already see how it's creating a more repeatable swing.

3. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the exact opposite situation from you. Since the temperature is finally under 100º F during the day it means that indoor training is finally over and the playing season is back on. This summer I was using a squash court with a piece of turf and an all weather tee and ran through my selection of clubs.

We'll see if I have corrected it at the range

Lessons I leaned
    1) I need a gap and a lob wedge badly
    2) I should get a 21 hybrid and dump my 3 and 4 iron
    3) My 3 wood is useless. I'll stick with my 5 and make up for it on the next shot.
    4) Those little sponge balls are pretty nice for perfecting touch
    5) I now have an approach routine for addressing the ball

Next month, I'll be back out on Dubai Creek and hopefully after the Dubai World Championship I can get on the Earth Course at the Els Club.

I've been using this book. The illustrations are amazing and the concepts are very repeatable. Words in a golf book just don't do it as well for me.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/7-Laws-Golf-Swing/dp/0756615194#reader_0756615194"]Amazon.com: The 7 Laws of the Golf Swing (9780756615192): Nick Bradley: Books: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]

4. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i started playing golf when i was about 43. i'm a pretty good natural athlete and i took 4 lessons immediately.

the first handicap i established was 17. after about 3 years and a change from forged irons to cast and from woods to metals, i chiseled my handicap down to 14.

i was playing once or twice a week, getting up at 4 on Saturday morning and usually playing a round in the afternoon during the summer.

then i took another series of lessons and the pro let me borrow [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Path-Better-Golf/dp/0671723111"]this book[/ame]. Money!

within 2 years my handicap was down to a 10. i won the B flight at our annual Men's club tournament.

i've never been really long off the tee, but that's not really a big deal. the big deal is being about to put the second shot in birdie range from 150 yards in. that and being about to work the ball both ways.

take some lessons.

5. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    The ball will slice if the clockwise rotation exceeds the forward velocity. The ball will have clockwise rotation if struck with a clubface OPEN to the SWINGPATH (not to the target line) The more outside-in the swingpath the easier it is to have an open face. As the round progresses you probably 'try harder' and the result is a steeper swing, which cuts across the swingpath at a more outside-in angle. I guess your shots start to the left before turning right. Left, because the outside-in swingpath starts the ball that way and then right when the sidespin takes over.

In order to prevent this you need to learn what the ball tells you. By working backward from the ball flight you can analyze body mechanics, not the other way around. (In this case, flatten the swingpath, swing more 'out' to the ball ) This is the theory of 'John Jacobs Practical Golf' Buy a used copy. Priceless and simple.

I used to work for these guys as a clubfitter/maker. There is nothing simpler of more repeatable. No over-analysis.

Ball flight management.

P.S. The Kostis book is good. Hes a Jacobs Acolyte.

6. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So more like an axe chop with a break in the wrists at the end like a hockey shot? I mean not that dramatic but kind of a mental image to use?

What about throwing the hip. Does that help or is that just a power thing?

7. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmuTImFpNuc&feature=related"]YouTube - Doctor Golf - John Jacobs - faults and cures[/ame]

Pre shot routine. Grip, Aim, Stance, Posture.

8. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is lots of talk about releasing the clubhead.

a) you get more clubhead speed if dont have your club in a death grip. looser is better, generally. of course you want to hold on to the club rather than let go of it completely.

b) the tighter your grip the harder it is to get the clubface square at impact.

c) you are probably going to slice the ball if your shoulder turn back to the ball, after your backswing is completed, is too horizontal. a right-handed player will have the right shoulder move down and to the left at the beginning of the downswing.

d) about your hip turn: most players slide from right to left, which isn't horrible, but it's preferable to rotate, so that your left hip is moving away from the target as you begin your downswing.

9. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EUREKA!

First day on the outdoor range since April (It was only 99ºF. Seems we are having a cold spell.)

Tried the new grip and focused on placing the pressure between my thumbs and index fingers to release the back half of my hands and thus my wrists. Felt very comfortable but I was still pushing a bit to the right.

It turns out I am a slouch. So I stood up a little taller and increased the pitch of my swing path and viola! Straight balls! Also, I noticed that when I did this it energized my quads and glutes allowing me to put more power into the ball without swinging any harder. So not only were they not slicing but I was getting another 15 yards out of them just with a couple of minor tweeks.

I was never concerned about my rhythm or address point so I don't have to worry there, which is nice. Also, the pre shot routine (put head flat behind ball, walk behind and look at target, grab club head between right thumb and index finger, place grip in left hand at 45º angle, Twist club to 90º and place right hand on top, interlock, one practice swing, one shake, swing) is really helpful, even though now I'm driven crazy when I am interrupted during it :D.

Since the game is so expensive out here, I've decided to stick with simulated games (using the cards for the courses and playing through the green on the range on holes 1-18, then moving over to the chipping green to complete the round, assuming 2 puts unless the chip is within 4') and the pitch and put portions. I'll only be able to afford a real round every other month. What do you all do for practice games?

One more thing, does anyone use an exercise routine to stay in course shape? I'm trying to do Monday and Friday in the gym with 15 mins of aerobic work and 15 mins of light circuits and then a 25 minute yoga session for flexibility on Wednesday. Any other suggestions?

10. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Tennis a few times a week. Had to switch from indoor soccer last year because the guys seemed to keep getting younger and faster.

Definitely need to stretch more, though.

11. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Stretching is key. Apparently Sam Snead could put his palms on the ground while standing on the curb without bending his knees.

12. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My slice is all about swing plane, which I gather is pretty typical. My tendency is to bring the club head over the top (move it from inside to out) at the top of my backswing. So when I swing through the ball the club head is moving from outside to inside, which sliced my metals and pulled my irons. Confused the hell out of me. So I took my first lesson and I'm beginning to see some results. He had me do some simple stuff, like paying attention where I am bringing the club on my backswing, and I use a fiberglass rod on the driving to help with my follow through.

I still slice the crap out of my drives when I try to hit it hard, though.

13. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, went out yesterday--very likely the last playable Saturday in Michigan this year--and did better.

1. I rotated my left hand to a stronger position (so I can see the first 2 knuckles).

2. The timing work at the driving range, where I was trying to improve the connection between my hands/arms and my body seemed to pay off with fewer and less dramatic slices. I actually hit a few draws and seemed to regain the 20 yards off the tee that I'd lost recently.

Unfortunately, the stronger grip leaves me with a sore wrist after 18 holes.