Why do CONCACAF countries vote for Gold Cup in USA?

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by pc4th, Jan 21, 2009.

1. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basic logic win! ;)

2. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I see what you did there :D

3. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omar, I just have a few questions. Do you think the Gold Cup should be rotated? I do, I just think CONCACAF is too money hungry. I think having a tournament in the U.S. every 3rd Gold Cup would be able to support 2 subsequent Gold Cups in smaller countries. Not counting Mexico because we all know they know how to host a tournament. Two, Edinburg isn't exactly uppity isn't there a ton of kids playing the game in that area of Texas? My point is great soccer players can come from any background. Kaka had kind of an uppity upbringing and he's a terrific player, but then you have a player like Dani Alves who didn't have a terrific upbringing......both from the same country and both terrific players. At a United States level you could make that same comparison with Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be good for CONCACAF, but would ESPN be interested? As recently as 2005, the first Gold Cup I watched, none of the games were on in English. Now FSC has the USA's Group Stage games and has one game in each knockout round regardless of how far the USA goes. If both countries were known to be using their best players, how do you think a USA-Mexico Gold Cup final's TV ratings on ESPN would compare to what ESPN got for the Euro 2008 Final?

5. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Great Lakes Region (The Other One)
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a quick addition to the stadium list, Costa Rica will have a brand new national stadium by this time next year. I think a Costa Rica-Panama hosting bid in the two safest, wealthiest CA countries is certainly viable.

6. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Mexican Teams" is trolling CONCACAF forums hard today. I'm just curious as to whose handle he is.

7. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    just like when experts were saying that the USA would win any kind of world cup sanctioned by fifa before mexico,and by that i mean in any category,but then mexico won the U-17 world cup,futbol is not an exact science so it doesnt matter what the euros or anyone else say for that matter, only time will tell.mexico could get a golden generation anytime and then make a run for the title, mexico is not the same as in the 70s you know.

in fact we are producing more good players and exporting them than ever before,so those people can say whatever they want at the end of the day actions speak louder than words.

8. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are exactly right. Time will tell. Who has the brighter future isn't really essential to what this topic is. This is about the Gold Cup, so what are your thoughts on that?

9. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    For economic purposes.... no, for competitive purposes.... maybe, I do think that if a team is good enough, it should be able to win it no matter where.

You know we live so close to the border that you'd think soccer is a popular sport down here, but to be honest with you, soccer is behind in popularity to Football, Basketball, Volleyball, and even Baseball. Brownsville is where the real action is at.

Cuahtemoc imo has the greatest success story. Coming from one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Mexico City.

10. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    there is no voting in who gets this "tourney",my guess is any country interested in hosting this thing dont even bother to actualy approach concacaf autorities anymore cause they must think if jack dont even let the mexicans host this thing how could we get it ?, jacks answer would be NO WAY IN HELL.and mexico dont even try harder to get the tourney because lets face it the tourney is a joke.

concacaf should let the tourney be hosted around the region even if it means they have to sacrifice some money in order for it to gain credibility,but we all know jack and chucky would never allow that to happen.

11. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think so too. We don't know how certain countries would do if it were in Central America, Mexico, Canada, Caribbean, or the United States because from year to year each team is different. I would just like to see it rotated for reasons I stated before plus I think it would be beneficial to Mexico and United States because they would be playing more in a hostile environment rather then both of them basically having homefield when its in the United States.

I'm surprised volleyball is that high. I think their are certain pockets in the country where soccer is more popular. Could be why I overrate its US popularity because in Chicago its really big.

I got to hangout with Blanco a few times when he was here in Chicago. He's a funny dude.

12. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In some instances you are right here. Canada was supposed to host the last edition in 2009 but withdrew its bid because the Canadian Soccer Association is so disorganized. Jack wants it in the U.S. every year but say Mexico, or El Salvador/Honduras submitted a joint bid they would be forced by law to vote on who hosts the tournament and the CONCACAF executive committee would have to vote on it but these countries don't submit a bid for a few reasons one they get a bigger financial kick back if the U.S. hosts it but two because Jack does only seem interested in promoting the game in the U.S. rather than in other parts of the region.

13. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I have no clue why volleyball is so interesting, Its boring as shite.

He has some crazy anecdotes huh?

14. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Making you point? dude, you can have all the deals you want with ESPN, but is mostly spanish speaking countries who watch this games, so in the U.S., Univision already pays good money to be the exclusive Spanish broadcaster, and in Mexico, Televisa and TV azteca share the rights.

As you can see, there is already TV revenue regardless of ESPN.

the TV revenue argument is meant to show that where ever the tournament is held, it will have viewers, and it will make money.

A good tournament will make money anywhere, and this nations already have a good futbol fanbase... for the most part. The important thing here is the tournament would create economic opportunities for the hosting nation. fans will travel to the hosting nation to watch the games, and spend money there.

Canada is now requiring visas for Mexican nationals, and I'm sure citizens of other nations will have problems traveling to Canada, except that Canada doesn't have the benefit of having a vast immigrant population.

that's an interesting logic, considering that immigrants are afraid to travel right now due to the persecution. However, only Mexican fans can fill every stadium, central american fans are also a large number, but usually aside from the Mexico games, the attendance in the world cup is not exactly sold out... particularly in the group stages.

And regardless of the fan base living in the U.S., the tournament should be rotated, bc it gives the U.S. an unfair advantage, and the Central American countries in an unfair perpetual disadvantage.

I don't think that matters in this subject.

Don't fool yourself... they are talking about from the U.S. that have bought tickets, not just U.S. fans, but like I said, this is a bit off-topic.

15. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said it wouldn't make money? ESPN having the English language rights. Just like with the World Cup Univision has Spanish language rights and ESPN has English language rights. That's what I'm talking about. Obviously for ESPN it would have to be beneficial to them. But I think if CONCACAF could reach a deal with ESPN it would be a huge step in the right direction. Whether your a U.S. fan, Mexican fan, Honduras fan your still American buying those tickets. Many people only equate the popularity of the sport in the U.S. by fans who support the United States and they completely leave out the fans that support latino countries. I think the having the tournament in the United States gives a huge advantage to the U.S. and Mexico as whenever they play in the U.S. its a quasi home match for them. I think it would benefit all if it was rotated.

16. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    nope there is no proof that the countries get anything at all from the gold cup,maybe trinidad and tobago and the ussf,but not the rest,and we all have seen before how concacaf respect their own rules when money is on the line,and the last time there was a voting,when choosing a leader,only mexico and el salvador(i think it was el salvador) voted for other,and that carried repercussions against el salvador,for not get in line as the rest of small nations,in concacaf our beloved dictator jack and his mistress chucky do things as they please,just see the CCL draw set is not televised live,they need to get it right before showing it to the public,so in the gold cup matter i guess jack and chucky would show the results once they get them the way they want.

17. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The money made by the Gold Cup goes to CONCACAF not USSF. Then CONCACAF disperses those profits to the member associations. USSF gets money from the venues and cities in which these games take place not from the ticket sales of these matches, that all goes to CONCACAF. The money the associations get individually is the prize money the teams win for whatever place they finish in the tournament. We all know Jack and Chuck are as slimy as it gets but in this case if these small nations don't unite there will never be any changes. Plus most countries in the region hate Mexico way more than the United States so they don't mind as much that the U.S. continues the host and Mexico doesn't. So it's gonna have to be a joint bid by a Honduras/El Salvador with backing from the rest of Central America and Caribbean to get things done but the Caribbean countries all favor the U.S. to continue hosting so its likely things won't change even as a U.S. fan I think it would better for the region as a whole to rotate this tournament.

18. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i did not say the money goes to the ussf,i said they are of the selected few that get a piece of the cake.

that all sounds good and all but in reality thats not true at all,of all the profit that gold cup could make in the USA,only a little actually makes it to the members of this confederation if anything actualy makes it to them at all,there is no new infraestructure being made (i think the costaricans built a new stadium but i think the chinese paid for it),no little nation is building stadiums or upgrading whatever they have,but i bet certain key people in those nations are getting a cut in order to keep things the way they are.

and is no secret that the majority of nations here hate mexico more since mexico has dominated concacaf way longer than the USA,only recently the USA has appear in the futbol world,so is no surprise there is a bigger rivalry with mexico than with the united states.

as i see it there is not gonna be any change until jack and chuck dissapear from this confederation.

19. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok I see what your saying. Yeah I'm afraid that's the case but I'm also afraid those two are gonna be running the show for a long time.

20. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    All you have to do is look back at the old continental championships.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Gold_Cup

Haiti, HAITI!!!! for crying out loud won it when they hosted it. Once the event was moved to the US the competitiveness and diversity really dropped.

I think people underestimate how exciting this tournament would be if it was rotated.

2 people repped this.
  21. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree the lack of host diversity has made the champion far more predictable, I don't think the US and Mexico dominating the competition is solely the result of one host. Mexico was always a/the power of the region but I think its resources and development has expanded significantly since then. A 1982 qualifying cycle is virtually unthinkable at this point unless Sven Gorn Erickson makes a return and the US was a non entity in the sport for the most part until the 80s.

Causation, correlation, etc.