Why do CONCACAF countries vote for Gold Cup in USA?

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by pc4th, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Great Lakes Region (The Other One)
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also these off year Gold Cups are basically ignored by most relevant soccer nations in CONCACAF. The compromise could be too rotate the Gold Cup between the US, Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean/Canada for Confed Cup years and just hold the irrelevant ones in the US for Jack and Chuck's pocketbooks.

2. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you. Even as a US fan and someone living in the US I'd like to see it rotated. I think it would be cool to lift the GC trophy in Mexico City, Toronto, San Pedro Sula, San Jose, or Kingston.

3. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it'd be great to see the GC outside the USA, for the integrity of the competition if for no other reason...I'd also like to see 16 nations compete. It might make for some lopsided games but the only way the region is going to improve is for the smaller teams to face better competition more frequently. If Europe can include Andorra and Luxembourg in WC qualifying, CONCACAF can include St Vincent and Belize in the Gold Cup.

4. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I'm not sure that the GC spreads that much cash around.

I think the problem is that the countries just don't care about the tournament that much, so they don't give enough of a damn to make a stink about the US being the only host.

5. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Maybe so but it's unthinkable and hard to believe that nobody(other than the US) has thought about hosting this thing or was considering hosting it...

6. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If concacaf really cared about the credibility of the cup and the development of the region, they would promote the rotation of the cup.

The U.S. has hosted every single edition of this tournament, and has only shared it twice with Mexico, but as co-host. At this pace, the U.S. will never develop to be a top team as they aspire.

The next cup can be hosted in Mexico, I remember the fmf saying they were going to request it, but I'm not sure where that ended up.

If we plan ahead, and award the Gold Cups ahead of time, so that the countries have time to get ready, countries like Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, Cuba (not likely considering the U.S is determine to starve them until they agree to have a gov't of the U.S. choosing.), or some allegiance between T&T, Jamaica or other caribbean islands, hell even Haiti would benefit. countries that cannot hosted themselves, can co-host it wth a nearby country, like... Haiti-Dominican Republic, T&T-Jamaica, Honduras-El Salvador, Costa Rica and panama can host it alone, but they could form an alliance.

The issue of the infrastructure is not an excuse. As a condition of awarding the gold cup, local governments must be on board and provide for easy transportation, and help with the constructions of stadiums. If the gov't is too to help build stadiums, they can get brands to sponsor them an help, an of course, Concacaf would have to put the largest share of the cost for new stadiums.

This is the way it works in other nations. The chance to host a tournament is used to improve infrastructure. There is no need to have a bunch of stadiums. Concacaf can improve existing stadiums, and build the necessary ones, I don't think we need more than 4-5 stadiums. the three groups based in different parts of country can play in one stadium each, if they want more, they can build more.

At the end, it would the jobs used to build the stadiums and jobs generated around he organization, would help the economy of the host country, not to mention the tourist money their business would be taking in.

Contrary to popular belief, i'm pretty sure that if the tournament is hosted outside the U.S. (includes Puerto Rico and U.S. territories) and Canada, the attendance would be higher than in the U.S. Mexico doesn't have many hurdles for foreign tourist to visit the country, so fans would be able to come and watch their team play. Tournaments in Central America would be particularly successful, because Central American fans can travel easily to neighboring countries.

The profit for Concacaf would come from TV rights and other concessions, which would be higher if the tournament gains more credibility and more people tune in.

And best of all, the protectorate of CONCACAF, the U.S., will finally get some recognition if they win the Gold Cup away from home.

7. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with most of what you said here. I think having this tournament every four years would also help render more credibility. The teams don't even field their best teams in the 2005, 2009, year before the World Cup editions so when you win it those years its sort of with an asterisk.

Everyone in the world outside of Mexico thinks the U.S. will be a team that eventually will be contenders for World Cups in a regular basis within the next 30 years. But that should have nothing to do with the Gold Cup.

I think this tournament can be rotated and it would be beneficial to CONCACAF in the long run instead of just in their pockets in the short term as the tournament makes more money when it is in the U.S. I'm not so sure the attendance would be better as some countries don't have venues as big as the United States venues and the semifinals and finals sellout or are near sellouts.

CONCACAF needs to do a few things strike a deal with ESPN in the United States to give the tournament more visibility. Here are potential hosts.

United States - there is too many venues to list that can host Gold Cup matches

Mexico - Estadio Azteca, Estadio La Corregidora, Estadio Morelos, Estadio Universitario, Estadio Miguel Hidalgo, Luis Pirata Fuente, Estadio Jalisco, Estadio Nemesio Diez, Nuevo Estadio Corona, Estadio Cuahutehmoc (each of these Mexican venues holds over 25,000

Honduras - Olimpico Metropolitano, Tiburcio Carias Andino
    El Salvador - Estadio Cuscatlán, Estadio J.M. Gonzalez
    (perhaps El Salvador and Honduras could co host with 4 total venues you could host as AFCON use 4 venues for 16 team tournament

Other central American countries with at least 1 suitable stadium are listed below. For me a stadium must be a minimum of 20,000 capacity

Panama - Estadio Rommel Fernández
    Costa Rica - Estadio Ricardo Saprissa Aymá
    Nicaragua - Estadio Dennis Martinez
    Guatemala - Estadio Mateo Flores

Perhaps a Cup hosted by several Carribbean nations at this point is the only way to get it in that part of the region

Jamaica - Independence Park
    Cuba - Estadio Panamericano, Estadio Pedro Marrero
    Dominican Republic - Estadio Felix Sanchez
    Trinidad & Tobago - Hasely Crawford Stadium

And finally I think Canada would do a terrific job of hosting here are there venues

Canada - Commonwealth Stadium, McMahon Stadium, BC Place Stadium, Canad Inns Stadium, Rogers Centre, Frank Clair Stadium, BMO Field, Olympic Stadium,

So as of right now those are venues that could be used with some slight improvements. There could perhaps be a rotation policy where you include the United States as well as rotate the tournament around, because you still need the money the Cup generates in the United States to help improve the sport throughout the region but you also need to find a balance to give other countries the chance to host thus validating the tournament to the world as more than just the U.S. Invitational Cup. So for example here is a possible list of hosts.

2011 - Mexico
    2015 - Canada
    2019 - United States
    2023 - Honduras & El Salvador
    2027 - Caribbean
    2031 - United States
    2035 - Central America
    2039 - Mexico
    2043 - United States

This way your still getting the money that the U.S. generates for the tournament every 12 years but your also giving other countries the chance to host. If you have to have the tournament every two years then perhaps this could be a rotation policy

2011 - Mexico
    2013 - Canada
    2015 - United States
    2017 - Honduras & El Salvador
    2019 - Caribbean
    2021 - United States
    2023 - Central America
    2025 - Mexico
    2027 - United States
    2029 - Canada

8. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    the money generated in the U.S., is largely due to Mexicans and other immigrants. the U.S. fan base is still not big enough to be significant.

The attendance in the U.S. is not that great, you have those NFL stadiums and all, but what's the point if you can't feel them up. And, Mexico doesn't play in every game.

I don't think Canada is a good option at the begging of the rotations. If the tournament is hosted in a country where it is easier to travel to, fans would feel the stadiums. Also, the lack of stadiums should not be an issue, because they can be built.

9. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The sole reason that the amount of money is an argument is that ticket prices would not even be 40% of what they are in the states in other countries...

I paid about 70 bucks or around that last year...no way in hell do ppl in Central America o r even in some parts of Mexico..will pay up to 900 pesos for a shitty seat.

10. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is to have it in the US in certain instances only because of money because the immigrants here have more than Mexican or Honduras citizens living in those countries. I never said the early rounds in terms of attendances I only said the semis and finals. And logistically u can sort out a tournament to reduce travel. U would have the same logistical problems in Mexico than u would in Canada and u don't have a small tourney that can host it by itself. I would think attendance would be greater in the U.S. if it was held here once in a while not every 2 years. Not all these countries have the money to build new stadiums.

11. MexiGOL

MexiGOL New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Club:
    Club América
    True, but you have to remember that the overhead and the amount the stadium charges to host the event will be less aswell. The profit margin could still be maintained. I think Mexico could bring in more sponsorship dollars than the US because of the popularity of the sport. Broadcasting rights are another money maker, so that's another factor to consider.

12. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    you think South Africa had money to build new stadiums? No, fifa pitched in.

Concacaf must do the same. And you guys should go to Monterrey and see how much people pay over there for big games, and then you tell me they can't afford it. I'm not saying everyone will pay high prices, because they wont, but in Mexico the differences is not as much, and most revenue comes from sponsors and tv licensing.

And the Gold cup is not exactly a huge tournament. Mexico can host it by itself without problems.

Canada is not a good choice, because they are becoming like the U.S., and they don't let many people in. you can charge $70-$90 or even $5, but it wont matter if people aren't interested and those who are interested in a particular game cannot travel. In mexico, Central Americans and some Caribbeans will be able to travel and see their team. Central America even easieer.

And as i said before, this can be used to help the region develop more in the sport and economically. If the U.S. loses the monopoly on the cup, turist from the U.S. will also travel to the hosting country and spend money there.

I seriously don't think Fifa chose SA, because they could make a bigger profit. They ended up making more money thanks the revenue from tv licensing, sponsors, and other licensing products.

It is time concacaf saw a sense of responsability towards the region. If the local government saw the opportunity to attract tourists, i'm sure they would also be on board to take on more responsabilities.

13. MexicanTeams

MexicanTeams New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    First of all the USA will never become world cup contenders. They have no depth and no youth like Mexico. Mexico will take that spot.

Secondly, the US will never win the Gold Cup in Central America and much-less in Mexico. They are scared to play it outside their borders.

Mexico= 2011 Gold Cup Champions

14. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that was the case then don't you think Mexico would play their home friendlies in Mexico instead of the United States?

15. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thus my point about the first thing CONCACAF needing to do is strike a deal with ESPN. Your making my point for me with the South Africa example. In certain instances you need to go for building the sport and legacy type reasons, and in certain instances you need to go for the money. Thus the reason I have it not being monopolized by the U.S. hosting and only having it in the U.S. every 3rd Gold Cup. I don't get what your talking about with Canada becoming like the U.S.? Site some examples please. I think part of CONCACAF's logic is that the U.S. already has all these cultures so rather than having it say in Central America their is already a huge central american population in the United States and they can travel in the country they live in now. I don't agree with that, but I think in some ways that's their logic. This notion that the interest in big time international futbol/soccer in the United States isn't there is just false. Especially considering United States fans have bought more World Cup tickets than anyone in the World. Some are using old arguments that would have been valid 25 years ago, but aren't valid anymore.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Is that a rectum-derived statistic?

17. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoken like a true Mexican fan. Ask anyone in Europe, Africa, South America, Asia....who they think the first country outside of Europe and South America will be to legitimately contend and compete for a World Cup and they will tell you it will be the United States. I'm not saying this year I'm talking within the next 30 years. The sport has grown considerably here in the U.S. thanks too many immigrants from all over the world that have come here and thanks to the fact that more people play the sport in the United States then anywhere in the World.

The U.S. probably won't win a Gold Cup in Mexico or Central America probably because it will never be anywhere but the United States because these other CONCACAF associations keep voting for the United States to host the tournament. It is them that decide who gets to host and none of them seem to step up and put in a successful bid to host the tournament.

18. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ask any soccer/futbol journalist in those regions

1 person likes this.
  19. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    uppity suburban type kids with soccer moms who give them capri-sun at halftime do not really count.

20. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You want to come over to my house and tell my kids that they don't count?

Minus the uppity of course.

And "uppity kids", really? Those uppity kids grow up to be the people posting on this freaking site.

You're going to blame kids because they had the misfortune to be born to parents that can support them by calling them uppity? Ok, now if it's some elitist high schooler with a big chip on his shoulder I can understand. But is your hatred that deep?

21. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Not really.

Then they're cool with me

Thats the sad part :(

I'm not blaming them.

22. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador

Repped for this post...love that idea.

23. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uppity kids like Clint Dempsey who lived in a trailer park, uppity kids like Herculez Gomez and Paco Torres who had to fight for everything they got, uppity kids like Ricardo Clark playing in Atlanta, uppity kids like Oguchi Onyewu from Washington D.C. those aren't exactly the uppity areas in the United States. So one, get your facts straight before you make yourself sound like an idiot with your ignorance. And two, none of this should have anything to do with the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

24. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's the case then why don't they "count"?

25. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Basic logic fail