Why did you choose soccer over baseball, football, basketball and ice hockey?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by psveindhoven, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet you're in a soccer forum...

2. Ian Curtis

Ian Curtis New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    yep. what's your point?

3. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Soccer fans can only like soccer.

Colin Cowherd's joke about the Ethans telling him how it's the beautiful game rings true here.

4. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounded in your post like you didn't care for soccer while rediscovering your love for baseball and/or everyone in your location didn't care for soccer while rediscovering their own love for baseball. :confused:

But then again you have Atletico Madrid, Celtic FC and FC Sankt Pauli as teams so that's not the case.

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take it you haven't spent a lot of time around youth soccer in this country.

6. Ian Curtis

Ian Curtis New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I was speaking only on the subject of Baseball being a dying sport, my post was not meant to suggest anything about soccer.

I tend to think of Soccer as my philosophy and Baseball as my religion.

7. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Did you even read my post?

I was talking about the differences in nuances of the sport, where the coach doesn't have as much of a role during game day compared to an NFL coach, since its not broken up in to short plays. A soccer coach doesn't have to call plays from the sideline every minute, or strategically use timeouts and challenges, etc.

8. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    I grew up with basketball as a religion. Loved it every day and quite honestly I still do, not to mention it was practically the only sport I played (im sort of tall so it helped a bit).

My dad loves baseball (which I always thought was lame and slow and stupid). I remember him watching the 2002 WS all alone in his room (my mom HATES baseball) and I asked him "why the hell do you see that?". He would just answer "I like it".

Time passed and when I rented my first baseball game I understood the rules and started following it a bit and it kept growing on me, until there was a moment where I loved it almost as much as basketball.

American Football started interesting me once I bought NFL 2k5 ($20, so I just thought that I should try it) and I actually liked it really much. Became a fan of the Falcons because of Vick (my life sucks, right?) and then I started to understand why Sunday was such a special day for americans.

I had always thought soccer was boring because of the low scoring, but in 2008 I went my first soccer game and man, what a night that was. It was like love at first sight. For some reason I just loved it so much, it was amazing. I had never liked a sport that fast. Right when I got home I started searching for more info and I just kept going and going until it became some sort of obsession. i really love this thing. The plays, the speed, the passion, the fans, the significance of representing your country (compared to how NBA players don't show up for the world basketball championships, not to mention the low support that the WBC has in USA and how american football doesn't have international competitions at all.)

Now, as time passed, basketball is still up there, baseball went REALLY low on my order with the steroid scandal (and the mysterious way that homerun numbers went down after the scandal.wonder why that was). I still follow NFL, but its something like "hey, its sunday. lets watch some football", not "OMG its tuesday, how long until sunday ahhhhhhhhhh I will kill if I don't see some cowboys cheerleaders ahhhh".

As for soccer, I still love it and don't really see the interest in it going down anytime soon.

So in summary:

1. Soccer
    2. Basketball (VERY close #2)
    3. NFL (go falcons)
    4. MLB (I actually just watch Braves games nowadays. Probably will watch the playoffs).

9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not disagreeing with you about the sport itself, I was pointing out (perhaps inelegantly) that one of the problems with youth soccer in this country is that the American attitude towards the role of the coach often infects the youth game. Which is one reason why I think American players are often hard-working but uncreative.

10. cbg015

cbg015 Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Oakland, CA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer is my number one favorite sport. Baseball and American Football (both NFL and NCAA) are distant seconds. I never played competitive soccer. I'm also third generation American.

I agree with the other posters that even though baseball's popularity might be waning, it will always be relatively popular in the US. There's too much history.

I used to be more of a baseball fan as a kid. I still am a baseball fan. However, I am more of a fan of my favorite team, the Oakland Athletics than I am of the sport. Now if the A's were to either move out of the Bay Area or be contracted, I will drop baseball like a sack of dirt and never turn back.

11. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Slightly off topic Q:

If the A's moved to Sacramento, would you stay an A's fan? They'll never be contracted, but I think Sacramento might be a better place for them than San Jose, considering they've got some fierce competition 'round these parts.

12. cbg015

cbg015 Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Oakland, CA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. I said "Bay Area" earlier. I actually have no idea why people even bring up Sacramento. They have ZERO chance. They can't build an arena for the Kings let alone a MLB stadium. Sacramento also doesn't have a lot of corporate support and is in a tiny media market.

Anyhow, most likely no MLB team will be contracted. I believe the A's will eventually go to San Jose but it will cost MLB a pretty penny. San Jose is the only viable option and I think MLB knows this.

13. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    What happen to NHL

14. amazingjakeo

amazingjakeo New Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NHL isn't as popular as people from other countries make it out to be. I think it's cause people from other countries like ice hockey but just don't have a proper league for it. So they make it think we are bat shit crazy for ice hockey just cause we have a good league.

15. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    It won't cost MLB a cent, it'll cost the A's a pretty penny, namely that they will be paying for the brand new Giants Baseball Network and their games will be on it - for free.

16. cbg015

cbg015 Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Oakland, CA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? I think there is a very common misperception that the A's will have to hand over a check to the Giants. Technically the Giants will be compensated by Major League Baseball for the territory rights not the A's. What that means is very fuzzy, I will guess that a portion of the money will come from the A's. Will the Giants be compensated when the A’s move to San Jose? Yes, and it will be a lot of money, but in my opinion it won’t be the extortion some are portraying.

There is a blog, http://www.newballpark.org , that is dedicated to the A's new stadium efforts including territorial right technicalities and everything else.

The Giants already own a 30% stake in Comcast SportsNet Bay Area. It won't cost them much more to get full control of the station and turn it into their own sports network if they wanted to. They should use any money received from territorial rights to get a free agent bat.

Anyhow, I have gone way off topic here.

17. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Check out the MASN deal. That was Peter Angelos's price for the Nats moving to DC. It seems folly to think that it'll be any different here.

18. cwimmer77

cwimmer77 Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy, it was the one sport where a small, fast, high-energy, never give up attitude kid could compete at a high level with other kids/ahtletes of varying sizes and still be affective.

I loved it from the first time I played it and it is part of my life till this day.

www.vasoccernews.blogspot.com

19. MileHighTilIDie

MileHighTilIDie New Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Las Vegas,NV
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will actually be the other way around for me, I played baseball, football and basketball when I was younger. As soon as I hit my late 20's I wanted to play soccer for real. I played before when I was younger for fun, but never organized. Now I will be playing in and indoor league here in Las Vegas. If I do well I would like to move up into the competative ranks. Ive always loved the game, unfortunately where I was playing all my other sports growing up (Allentown,PA) baseball,football, basektball and hockey reigned supreme. Thats why I never played when I was younger.

20. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i had always watched the world cup, when my wife signed up my son for soccer, i decided i should learn the game. i did.

Ref, coached ran a league, sat on boards, became a huge fan.

saturday night is soccer night in my household, well all day saturday to be honest.

now i have two boys playing.

21. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're from Brazil and you decided to learn soccer? Isn't that already firmly rooted in your DNA?

22. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Family...all I knew/was told was that El Salvador and Futbol ruled! Then MLS started and Diaz Arce/Cienfuegos were awesome in the 1st years, DC games were super exciting with the atmosphere and RDA scoring and loved it more even more.

Got into Football/Basketball etc later on.

23. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I see people ranking so here's mine :

1. Futbol
    2. NFL
    3. Basketball
    4. Boxing

Distant 5 is NHL...but that's pretty much because of Ovechkin...could care less other than when he/Caps play.

24. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    My ranking

Playing
    -------
    1. Football