Why can't we get ball boys like this? (NRC)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by johnh00, Sep 13, 2006.

1. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    that was pathetic - cant believe the ref and linesman both missed it

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Be careful, MLS might be looking for new officiating recruits.

4. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I fence. I was in a college bout one time where the ref mistakenly awarded me a point, similar to that (not quite as BLATANT). So I made sure that I lost the next point to even things up. I'm surprised that didn't happen, although I suppose a team that deliberately gives up a goal would be punished for the league, even if its the right thing to do.

5. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    the player who shot on goal could have informed the ref that his shot was wide (assuming he saw that) , and the ref could heve reversed her call.

6. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

ouch :p

7. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    I fence too! (_used to_ at least... 10 yrs of saber, before electric was big and the fleche was banned)

I did the same at one point in a tournament. I had already been eliminated, but we were finishing up the bouts in the round. In my last bout, the guy needed one more touch & the ref awarded one to me after a botched parry, but successful riposte. (Did I mention this was before electric?)

Next touch, I simply stood still & let the guy bop me on the head. I was politely informed I could get thrown out of the tournament for that. "I'm out anyway" I declared, to which the ref simply replied "Oh sorry" and let it drop.

Though thinking about it, I may have still won that bout and maybe the guy I was fencing wouldn't have placed as high in the next round. What if I was a buddy of his and was throwing the bout for his benefit? I didn't think of this until later & then I agreed that yeah, I should have been thrown out of the tournament for that.

So the moral is: "That is an awesome ball boy! You go kid!"

Kevin D.

Is there a bigfencing.com?

8. jrkumor

jrkumor New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    H2O-Town, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I saw the title of this thread, I thought for sure it was going to be a gratuitous posting of a busty woman with lots of makeup, and I only came here to then retaliate with a photo of a hot guy (and it wouldn't have been Noonan). :p

9. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand the commentator, but with all the attention that seems to be being paid to the side netting, I am inclined to believe that there may have been a question about a tear in the netting that allowed the ball to escape the net.

UPDATE:
    I looked at it again and now I am certain that a goal was scored. You can see the ball bounce off the back of the net then roll out through the side netting.

I think this is a case of someone seeing the video and not understanding the commentator, then assuming that the ball boy scored the goal.

10. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    No but there is a fencing.net that uses the same format as bigsoccer.com for its forums. I used to post there but its just the same people talking about the same stuff over and over again. Which is why I post at bigsoccer instead. :confused:

11. hakapolita

hakapolita New Member

Oct 18, 2004
    PVD
    It does kind of look like but it is really hard to tell with the poor quality of the video.

However if it had gone in you would think that the attacking players in front of the goal would have had a clear look at the shot. Instead of claiming a goal was scored they put their heads down and walked slowly away.

12. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    It does look like the ref goes back towards the ball boy, he leans down and THEN she signals for a goal and then afterwards you can also see him lean down and try and put the ball under the side netting, but a player stops him.

Hmm...VERY interesting...you would have thought that the players on the scoring team would have put up a stink if they thought it was in, and how many of them could have missed that??