Why can't American basketball fans be like these fans?

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by YankBastard, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Ao Kuang

Ao Kuang New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Apeldoorn
    Of course, I meant at "our" soccergames...:) :D But, it seems that basketball matches in Greece can be quite buzzing too...and not only soccer like on the movie..

Greetz

2. garnet&blackattack

garnet&blackattack New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBA fans just don't get into the games. It really ticks me off. I like the Bobcats, and at those games, even win the P.A. announcer tries to get a cheer started only a quarter of the fans even do it.

3. MLSnets21

MLSnets21 New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    It depends. There are certain NBA teams whose fans go crazy during the games (Detroit, Sacramento, Oklahoma City and others for instance). Many fans, if you watch the games, stand up, cheer, exchange high-fives, jump up and down (even people who sit courtside).

4. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    It's the same reason we don't sing our own national anthem. We have to pay some fat R&B singer to do it for us (which is a damn shame). Most Americans want to be entertained. I think we've taken it too far though.

Tell me you didn't get emotional during the World Cup when you heard our OWN fans singing our national anthem. I wish the NFL/MLB/NHL would get the picture and let the fans do it.

Watch the Superbowl tommorow. Instead of asking the fans to join in singing, they will get S&^*TY R&B singer to butcher it ala Carl Lewis!

5. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    Well when its sung in and out everyday at every sporting event year round it kinda of takes the mystique out of it. Does England sing God save the queen before every club game in its sports?

6. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but they do play "My Country Tis of Thee". I still haven't figured out why they do that.

;)

7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    You guys are totally discounting NBA crowds! Anyone remember Arco arena during the Lakers/Kings rivalry? It was deafening in there! They weren't choir singing, but it was LOUD!

8. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    I dont know man Ill watch a Wizards game on a local channel or NBA on ESPN for a couple minutes and its like watching a golf game. It quiet something happens people clap and give a little cheer and the go back to relaxing in their cushioned seats.

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    There are lots of arenas in the NBA that are really really quiet. For example Staples Center for a Clippers game early in the season. However most places step it up for the big games. Kind of like English crowds and European match nights.

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I agree. The crowds can get into the game and liven the atmosphere if it is a big game or a tight situation where involvement may actually help. For the most part it has all been said in this thread. If the entire crowd is a bunch of upper middle-class and upper class people who have paid a lot of money for the event, most are not going to be covered in body paint and screaming the entire game. Even American football games are relatively tame. You're supposed to make noise on defense and be quiet on offense, just make sure you remain seated while doing it. Joe Money isn't going to spend a lot of money on his wife to take her to an event where there are a bunch of drunk half-naked guys standing and making a lot of noise in front of her.