News: Why Bundesliga thrives: our advantage

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by bltleo, Feb 10, 2010.

1. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Interesting article about BUNDESLIGA:

I think we can be really proud of our league.

link:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/09/sports/soccer/09goal.html

"The German Bundesliga wants the world to know that even in these trying economic times, it is solvent and competitive — a soccer island in Central Europe that exudes diligence, steady growth and smart management.

The Germans have just released an annual report that covers the 2008-9 season, the first played since the global financial crisis began in September 2008. And perhaps with a bit of a bump from the 2006 World Cup, which was played in Germany, the league reports some impressive numbers: the highest average attendance in the world, nearly 42,000 a game in modern stadiums; revenue that exceeded $2.7 billion (with player costs reduced to 40 percent of gross income); lowest average ticket prices, about $28 (in England the average is nearly $60); every game available live on television; and three different Bundesliga champions in the last three seasons (and three other clubs winning the German Cup over that period).

“Sepp Herberger used to ask, why do people go to football matches?” Seifert said, referring to the coach who led West Germany to the 1954 World Cup title. “It’s because they don’t know how it ends. Our championship has been absolutely unpredictable.”

Yes, sometimes perhaps you could say that in Germany, the international perspective is still not so much in the mind of the clubs,” Seifert said. “But for about 10 years now, each club has been required to have what we call academies, but you may call academies. There have been 5,000 players through these programs, and for the first time in European history, Germany had the European champion in under-17, 19 and 21. "

discuss...

2. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    pretty good

3. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The harsh reality is that the Bundesliga's financial situation keeps hanging by a thread as long as subscription TV continues to be massively in the red in Germany.

But I think there was a Bundesliga Business thread somewhere.

As for the success of youth academies, one must wonder why the Bundesliga still has a very high rate of foreign players compared to the other big leagues.

4. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

The "success" of the youth academies couldn't even take full effect yet. Lets not forget that the results of the academies are still only between 16-22 and the high rate of foreign players is based on the fact that we are missing a good older generation.

5. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    48% is indeed very high, but nothing compared to the EPL (66% foreigners) and 6 percent higher than Italy and France.

6. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a testament to how awesome the Bundesliga is. I remember an Uli-Hesse Lichtenberger article on Soccernet a while back about how a lot of English fans were beginning to look to the Bundesliga for their football because of the high ticket prices, etc in England. I feel like this is just a continuation of those same things.

7. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Me thinks that the 66% that you quote for the EPL is when you consider Welsh, Irish and the citizen of the other British Isles as foreigners. Otherwise the number is substantially lower.

8. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well it's the English Premier League and not the British Premier League. Also Irish people would still be foreigners, even in a British League.

9. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :)
    this is true
    ´

10. Tread

Tread New Member

Jul 1, 2009
    you shouldn't have posted this part, made me want to quit reading

11. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why?

12. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

there is a youtube video showing some English folk being interviewed on how they make regular trips to attend Borussia Dortmund matches ever since they were at that stadium for the 2006 world cup.

13. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. I remember it. Schwatzgelb interviews them frequently, as well.

14. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    very interesting, I assume I wouldn't be able to read it unless I used google translate though.