Why Arizona NEEDS a soccer team...

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by zerorespects, Oct 11, 2003.

1. zerorespects

zerorespects New Member

Oct 11, 2003
    Arizona
    Arizona desperately needs a soccer team because:
    1) Hispanic people (not to sound like a stereotype) love soccer, and make up at LEAST half the population of the Phoenix Area.
    2) The state is in deep financial trouble, meanwhile they are building new stadiums for our two worst teams, the Coyotes [hockey] and the Cardinals [American football].
    3) A soccer team would bring in a lot of revenue, providing the ticket prices would be affordable. The state needs as much money as they can get after that gas crisis.
    4) I am getting bored of watching Mexican soccer on Univision, with commentary I can't even understand.

Now please, discuss...

2. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to live in Phoenix and all i have to say about that place is it's hot as hell...could only stand it there for 3 months then had to take off...

3. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Arizona should get a team because soccer players taste best when well roasted for 90 minutes.
    Bon Apitite,
    Hannibal Lector

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No they shouldn't, look at Segroves answer to your second point, soccer is not going to bring in a lot of money, soccer as a sport is not doing that in the US, unless it's a World Cup or someother big event.

5. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How 'bout CF America de AZ?
    Chivas is already taken. :)

6. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    not yet, you trust Vergara?

He only wants an ALL hispanic team, will he get it? who knows.

7. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He won't get an All hispanic team. He'll have to follow the rules the rest of the league follows.
    If he can make an all hispanic or all Mexican team within the rules than he can but I doubt he can or will even try.
    So far the most he's been asking for in the latest talks, per the official soccer america rumors, is a fourth sr international and that would change for every team.
    Good luck CF America de Arizona.. :)

8. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    That's not what Garber said, he said the exception only will be for Chivas de San Diego or Chivas de Houston or maybe Chivas de buritto:)

9. dcrpoop

dcrpoop BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 15, 2000
    Hell'sKitchen is my
    Wow! this original post is from somone who truely has no clue and really doesn't understand the business.

10. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garber needs to read the soccer boards more so he knows what he said. :)

11. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vergara posted?

12. westsidepunk

westsidepunk Member

May 31, 2003
    Tucson, AZ
    I seriously doubt we are going to get a team down here in hell... I mean Arizona. It's to hot in Phoenix to play in the summer, even night only games. There also isn't enough of a fanbase, hispanic white or whatever for a fifth sports team. They have enough trouble with four teams. Tucson is a little bit cooler in the evenings during the summer than phoenix and may be able to play a night schedule, but there isn't enough of a Market here for a pro team nor is there a viable stadium.
    The only way a team could come down here is if they could play in the new retractable roof football stadium that the Cardnals are getting. The only way that would happen is if they got a sweetheart of a lease and a local investor.

13. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    As has been mentioned above, it's too damn hot in Arizona for a soccer team to be playing in the summer. Here's the average temperatures for Phoenix.

http://www.weather.com/weather/climatology/monthly/USAZ0166

Although, if they could play the games at 2am, the temperatures would only be in the 80's..... hmmm.... maybe we could have a team here. ;)

14. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Here's an idea. Round up all the people in Arizona interested in soccer and start a winter league of amateur teams that plays from October to April. A couple of teams from Phoenix, a couple from Tucson, some teams from smaller towns.

It could be that such a league already exists. If it does, pick a team to support and go to the games. Soccer life does not begin and end with MLS -- or even with any of the divisions of USL. It begins with people who love the game, want to play it, want to watch it, and want to be in the company of others who feel the same.

If I lived in Florida, for example, I would get involved in a Florida League that played during the winter, just to make friends with others who share the love of the game, and to enjoy the good times that come from supporting the home team.

15. penadamaz

penadamaz New Member

Jan 23, 2002
    McDonough, GA
  16. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    It won't happen. They haven't even considered Arizona as a potential canidate.

17. Blue Eyed Soul

Blue Eyed Soul New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    It'll happen

Negative, Negative, Negative.
    Once again,
    Segroves has handed down from cosmopolitan Oklahoma to the Great Unwashed his bountiful and dread wisdom that cannot be challenged by any mere mortal (No adding that to your footnotes, Segroves). I've always wondered this: What kind of brainiac puts his own name as his user name? -----Enough about that.
    MLS will work if we can get into the new Cardinals stade that opens in 2006. The building needs a summer tenant, excavation began last month. It's a perfect fit. But that's the only way it'll happen. You need A/C in the summer.
    We've had an MPSL team here in the Valley since 1991, New York.
    The poster is way off- there are lots of soccer fans here, period. It's a great market. There are plenty of fans here. Everyone is moving from seemingly every other state in the union (and Mexico) to this state. Mexico vs El Salvador here last year at BOB was a huge success. On Saturday, I was in a pub FULL of fans from both sides to watch England/Turkey.
    Hot, yes. So what. It's 70 degrees here on Christmas Day! Isn't Dallas hot? Isn't Chicago hot? Isn't DC hot?
    Bring MLS here, and we'll be a great soccer market. I doubt it'll be for a long time, but if it comes, it'll work. That is all.

18. North Star

North Star Member

Feb 29, 2000
    NRH, TX
    Indoor stadium?

19. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If having a large hispanic population were the yardstick for MLS, there would be 17 teams in SoCal, 4 teams each in AZ, and NM, another 20 in Texas, another one in DC, and Chicago. And maybe another 2 in NY.

Phoenix is a great town. But a horrible sports town. The only team to have a solid fan following was/is/and always will be the Suns. The 'yotes, Diamondbacks, and Cards will always flounder if they're not winning.

A large problem with the argument that folks are always moving to the Valley is that their allegiences remain with where they came from.

If you want an MLS team, I'm sorry to say that you must earn it. Much like Rochester. Go to the PDL games, give it the support to push it to A-League, and do your damndest to make it hard for my arguments or Segroves arguments to rest.

20. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phoenix could be a MLS candidate IF:

There wasn't an NHL team, or
    If the Cardinals were to move.

However, since both teams are getting new stadiums, Phoenix should be pretty far down the list.

The sad truth about Phoenix is that the Cards don't draw well, the Coyotes never drew well, Suns attendance is down, and the D'flacks should get better attendance (given their success and star pitchers).

The ONE possibility (and this goes for Tampa, too) is for MLS to combine with a MLB spring training facility. I think that Tucson could be a better bet for MLS than Phoenix.

BTW, yes its damn hot in Phoenix, but it is still more comfortable at 120 degrees than DC at 90 degrees (Cue: Picture of skeleton riding a surfboard in desert with caption reading, "But, Its a dry heat).

21. penadamaz

penadamaz New Member

Jan 23, 2002
    McDonough, GA
    That statement is Bigsoccer BS if I ever heard it! 118 degrees is so damn hot that I don't even want to walk to my car! And the inside of my car is at 180! I lived in Atlanta for years-I know mid-90s and humidity! I rather have that than 118!

Now if you keep the humidity low and it is 108, then I rather have 108, but anything over that, especially over 110 and I rather have 90s with humidity.

One little lie you may not be aware of, but the dry heat doesn't exist for most of the summer. The monsoon rolls in and kicks up the humidity so 105 becomes uncomfortable also. Many times during the monsoon season the temperature and humidity at 7:00 a.m. in Phoenix is the same as Atlanta at 3:00 p.m.

Of course if your whole statement above was meant to be sarcasm then ignore this post. I think a sarcasm font is needed for message boards.

22. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a question: if it's too f'in hot to play in Arizona, how can they have the most successful domestic league on the continent where every team plays ever further south?

23. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Different climates. Not all of the teams are in a desert. Also, they play at a different time of the year.

Sachin

24. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really do think 120 in Phoenix is more comfortable than 90 degrees in Washington, DC. Really. As long as its not monsoon season when the humidity jumps up to 25%.

Of course, I wouldn't dream of actually being outside during that kind of weather. I'm not that stupid.

I do think I've got the perfect solution: The Phoenix team should play in some dying sububan shopping mall.

Anyways, this is all a moot point. Phoenix has got to be ranked far below cities like San Antonio, El Paso, Albuquerque or, for Segroves-sakes, Oklahoma City for dibs on a MLS franchise.

Since this is a silly thread, I just have to share w/ y'all that the folks on the Lewis and Clark expedition greatly preferred dog to salmon. So, the next time one of you yahoos makes a stupid Korean joke, think twice.

25. Bonaventure

Bonaventure New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Gilbert, AZ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I guess its just a matter of taste, but humidity and heat is always worse than heat to me. I've never played in 118 degree heat but humidity in 90 degree heat is the worse for playing in.