Why aren't there more American's in the MFL?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by QuakeAttack, Oct 24, 2003.

1. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good league. Close to the US.

Other than Hernandez playing for Necaxa, I don't know of any other Americans playing in the league. Does Americans not want to play in MFL? Do the teams prefer the talent from other countries? Other?

Over time, it seems to that more Americans playing in the MFL along with more Mexicans playing in MLS can only help the development of the sport in both countries (well, maybe not as much in MFL)...

2. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Americans don't want to move to Mexico.

3. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    playing for the enemy? traitorous indeed!

4. golmirivan

golmirivan New Member

Dec 28, 2001
    east brunswick
    who cares about the MFL

5. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    Might have something to do with quality-of-life and such.

6. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I was expecting to here something stupid like that here. The quality of life in Mexico for football players is the same if not better than it is in the US.

7. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lighten up, Francis.

While I agree that a decently-paid soccer player in Mexico does live quite well, there's a little more poverty, squalor, and the occasional footy-related kidnapping that goes on down south. Outside of Manchester, that can't be said for most Yanks over in Europe.

One reason for the lack of southern migration might be the MFL's propensity towards young talented South Americans of late. I don't think you see as many players from Central America (and almost never Canadians, WITAI) down there, either, so that makes it a tougher market for Americans.

Another thing is whether or not run-of-the-mill players really make all that much in the MFL. Only Europe-quality Yanks would problably see a lot of playing time in Mexico. If you ride the bench down there, are even going to make more than starting in MLS, and if not, then is it worth it to even make the trip?

8. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    Must be why all the Mexicans are coming here and to Cali: that great living down there.

9. Mmmm... I don't remember any footy related kidnap on recent years.. Aren't you talking about Argentina?

10. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not people who are making pro soccer player wages who are migrating to the US.

Why are so many Americans retiring to Mexico? Because it has a high standard of living and you can live like a king on a relatively small income.

I would say that before MLS, there probably weren't that many American players with the talent to play in the MFL. Since MLS, most players good enough to make the big bucks are either going to stay in MLS and make the bucks and live at home, or go to Europe and make the EuroBucks.

11. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    That sort of thing seems to happen in Colombia, Argie, and Brasil usually (when it does rarely happen).

12. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking about the case of Jorge Campos' father (which admittedly was three years ago). However, kidnappings in general have not really abated in Mexico, no?

13. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    THere is a yank in Leon and about 4 in Club AMericas youth system.

14. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the information. I don't completely buy the excuse about the "quality" of living in Mexico being the reason. I do agree that opportunities in Europe would appear more favorable in the long run (better leagues in some cases) and that MLS has improved so their is less incentive to go to MFL for the better players.

I think part of the reason is ethnic and relationship based. Some of the US players who have gone to Europe had relationships (Keller via Charles, Cooper - father) from players who played in the NASL.

When more Mexican Americans develop or are recognized in the US, I would expect them to look to Mexico as an opportunity.

15. During 1998-2000 super-kidnapping gangs started to appear, probably they were composed of narcos, unemployed or corrupt police member and some expelled army members. At some of the poorer states they even had support of the local authorities. They were highly organized and extremely well armed. Their succes and the alarmist media collocated kidnapping as the new fashion in the underworld... The less organized gangs were easy prey for the police corps(they were captured on weekly basis) and with the new PFP(a kind of military police) the super gangs started to fall.

Of course kidnaping is a problem, but nowadays most of the cases are committed by "friends" and members of their own family.

16. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    Do they pay more in Mexico than in the US???

17. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    lol! players get paid a million dollar plus (the best players)

The MFL has the highest wages outside of europe. The players live a very good life. Most mls players would die for that kind of money.

"One reason for the lack of southern migration might be the MFL's propensity towards young talented South Americans of late. I don't think you see as many players from Central America (and almost never Canadians, WITAI) down there, either, so that makes it a tougher market for Americans."

The above is the reason you don't see americans in the MFL. When mls clubs are getting beat by mexican b teams by 6 goals in the champions cup, how can you expect mfl teams to take mls seriously?

18. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, but if they're good enough to get that kind of money from an MFL club, they could probably at least get a look from Europe.

MFL clubs are mostly pretty well run and will do anything to win, including employ gringos. I think that the situation just isn't set up for it - if a gringo is good enough to make a difference in an MFL squad ahead of a mexican player, he could probably go to Europe and make even more money and play in a more similar culture.

Just my opinions.

19. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    yes but MLS isnt known for selling tons of players. Don't you think that if the mls was a league with a good reputation that some MFL team wouldnt have looked into getting Beasley for example? The reason mfl teams don't buy american players is because mls hasnt earned a good reputation yet.

20. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, Daniel Hernandez plays in the MFL. Mexican teams aren't looking into getting Beasley because they know they can't. If he's going abroad, he's going to Europe. Yeah, he might get more money in Mexico than he gets in MLS, but it isn't that much of an improvement in play quality where his game will improve mightily, and it might actually hurt his chances if he's competing with mexicans and other foreigners for PT rather than being the Man in Chicago.

If there are ever a lot of Americans playing down in Mexico, it will be when the second tier of MLS players have developed into solid pros and might go down south. But that second tier isn't good enough for the MFL - at least, not good enough for them to spend money on - and the first tier is either happy in MLS or looking squarely at Europe for their future.

Not a slight at all on the MFL, which I enjoy watching, I just think that the Americans who are good enough for the MFL aren't interested in it, and the ones who might be interested in it probably aren't good enough for it.

21. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Considering the love shared between the US and Mexico's soccer teams, I am shocked, shocked! that there are so few Yanks in the MFL.

22. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    There are no American's in the MFL, or anywhere, for that matter.

Americans, (plural needs no apostrophe) tend to be monolingual - it's hard to play when you can't speak the language the coach and other players use.

Europe is very multilingual. A lot of people there speak English, among other languages.

23. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, there are Americans in lots of places. Unless you're going to start the tired "you're not Americans, you Unitedstatesians" argument again.
    the singular doesn't need an apostrophe either, bud.

That's amazing, seeing as Census 2000 says that 17.9% of people in the USA - that's 46.9 million people - speak a language other than English in the home - not including those of us whose native language is English and have learned other languages by other means.

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And alot don't. I'm sure you know that the Ajax policy is to speak Dutch first, then any other language, right? Comunication.

Your comment also makes the assumption that Mexicans don't speak English. You have any proof to back that up?

Any way, there is a culture differnce. Even though in Germany it is well known that many speak English, many Amis can't handle the culture, or have difficulty.

25. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Me thinks for 2 reasons, perception & negotiation

Lets be honest, 99% of Americans think that Mexico are nothing but dusty towns and that they are all indians riding on donkeys. They think they are all poor and think that thier are only an elite class and dirt poor.

THey are wrong. There is a middle class and that middle class lives well. To put it into perspective, a days pay over there can get you more bang for your buck than your days pay here. Now, If you are poor, you are poor...doesnt matter what country you live in.. you are poor

But what most dont know is that salaries are in the multimillions (USD). The infrastructure is great. Investors have to be put on waiting list because there are so many who want to sponsor something. THe TV network pay huge amounts. THe exposure of the league is seen in various countries.

Negoatiations are a hassle with other members of the confederation. We have our own agenda, our own goals. This whole single entity crap doesnt help either. Its a hassle to deal with the league, rather than to deal with an individual owner. I know I would rather deal with one owner and an agent than the league and an agent.