Why arent Suriname and Guyana part of CONMEBOL?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by texanballer, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Guavaguy

Guavaguy Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Gotham
    The Liechtenstein Cup? You've got to be kidding me.

2. MountainHawk

MountainHawk New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Salem, MA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Culturally speaking that's true. Or at least for Suriname. Like whitecloud said, the Caribbean is actually a lot closer to (developed) Suriname than most of SA is.

4. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: Why are Guyana and Suriname in CONCACAF

Tim Vickery´s argument is exactly the opposite... he thinks the BEST THING ever to South American football was the new system where each country plays the other, home and away.

5. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    anyway, can anyone backup Whitecloud´s assertion that the Caribbean Football Union was created 50 years before CONMEBOL?? I mean... CONMEBOL was created in 1916... 50 years before that was 1866... thats just THREE YEARS after the laws of the game were compiled and The Football Association was founded in England!!!

How could an association of several different countries/territories be formed only 3 years after the FA was created, along with football itself?

6. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    1961 was Concacaf's formation according to Wikipedia.

7. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here's the only part that matters. CONCACAF wasn't founded until 1961. The Caribbean Football Union was founded in the 30's. Suriname and Guyana were both founding members of the CFU in their colonial entities Dutch and British Guiana. The reason for this was technological. Small plane air travel was nearly impossible and dangerous over the Guiana Highlands to the rest of South America for much of northeastern South America's history.

8. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was sometime in the late 30's-early 40's. The CFU wasn't created before CONMEBOL, but it was created a long time before CONCACAF. It was one of the 3 confederations that merged into one to form CONCACAF.

9. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Think it's a cultural thing. Suriname is more a caribbean country in south america (not talking about the native americans in the jungle).

10. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    God, it's like asking, why aren't Kazakhstan part of Asia.

Why isn't Australia part of Oceania

Why isn't Israel part of Asia, if Israel is Europe, then why not Lebanon.

Nations have choice, you don't have to stick to boundaries.

11. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    It is, and all of those questions have answers too, and they are interesting.

12. BarraUru

BarraUru Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    First of all, they wouldn't stand a chance to any team in CONMEBOL, not even Bolivia (with all respect).

Second, I think in CONCACAF, there are already a bunch of crapy countries, so 2 more don't make a difference..

P.S : Why do Mexican clubs play Copa Sudamericana and Copa Libertadores ? ;)

13. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    TV.

Just like when the old days when CONCACAF Gold Cup invited practically everyone except CONCACAF members.

14. BarraUru

BarraUru Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    But that wasn't because of T.V , T.V in the old days wasn't the point of inviting a team.. That was because we were real competition

15. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    No, it was because of TV. Late 90's wasn't that long ago.

16. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Yeah, if you look back to the CONCACAF championships in like the 60s and the 70s you see that it was hosted in places like Haiti and Honduras and ONLY CONCACAF teams were playing in it - because that was fair for competition to rotate it around and because it was a CONCACAF championship, so no one else should be playing! (And also because TV wasn't very big back then)

I wish it would go back to that. :( - at least now we are back to a CONCACAF-only Gold Cup, so I guess it's progress. But I would absolutely love it if they came out and said "2015 Gold Cup will be hosted in Costa Rica" or something.

17. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    It's strange, because you have the USA wanting to host world tournaments and are pretty pissed off when they don't get any, but in their own region, they don't exactly shout from the roof tops to have rotation in place, they hog it all giving no one else an opporutnity.

Ok, there's a lot to be said about one or two nations hosting 2 or 4 groups, but with a bit of consideration it could be done. In the current climate with 4 groups, they could even have 4 hosts, 1 for each group and then the quarter finals onwards are played home and away just like they do in the ASEAN Championship. Of course this theory would make the tournament last a bit longer, so they may need to just qualify the group winners, but i's an early suggestion that could be tweaked.

18. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, you've been doing it all day. But, this. This is just factually incorrect. Not even a matter of opinion, you just got the facts of the situation incorrect and now I'm going to bust you for it. Fact 1) The US Soccer Federation has never bid to host the Gold Cup. Fact 2) No other country has bid to host the Gold Cup. Fact 3) The USA is a democracy, CONCACAF does not need USSF permission to host the tournament here. I could stage a soccer exhibition between Barcelona and my friends in Cowboys Stadium and the USSF could not bar me from doing so. Fact 4) CONCACAF stages the Gold Cup, not the the USSF. This is not UEFA where a host is selected and that host then forms a committee to stage the tournament. The Gold Cup is run directly by the confederation. Fact 5) There are more fans of other teams in the Gold Cup then there are USA fans. The US has no home field advantage. You should probably delete your previous post out of embarrassment, that's how far off it is on even the most basic grasp of key facts.

19. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris

Question betrays complete ignorance of the history of these islands and their people.

Trinidad and Tobago, or any of those islands for that matter, is as much an extension of Venezuela as Japan is an extension of Russia.

20. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Has anyone else hosted the Gold Cup? No. So it's correct that no one else ahs had an opportunity then.

As for you running a game. Erm no, you would have to get approval from the federation. There are liabilities etc so you can't just host without permission.

So, OK, US not having home field advantage in the US, so in that case they shouldn't worry about plauyign abroad. But the USSF doesn't promote it do they?

Gold Cup run by Concacaf yes, but the members have input. Did USSF ask about rotation like I said? No they didn't, they don't want to push the tournament away. Bam, got you again!

21. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I don't actually. I have to register the game. But, the USSF has no power to stop me from doing so. I could even blow off the fee that USSF charges if I wanted to, because the courts in the U.S. have already ruled that USSF has no actual authority to charge them.

22. SoccFan35

SoccFan35 Member

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago
    Regarding the Gold Cup, had another quick question. The new list of officials for the cup was listed (obviously US And Mexico are strongly represented).

http://deportesus.terra.com/sports/...on+included+in+referee+list+for+Gold+Cup.html

Many smaller teams are represented, including Guyana and Suriname, but not actually teams in the tournament like Guadaloupe and Granada. I figured it might be because they're not FIFA members--so they don't have official FIFA officials?

But then again, why are teams from SOUTH AMERICA being represented in the tournament while actual Caribbean teams in the tournament don't have representation. Is it the lack of local leagues?

Also, in the article it speaks of CONCACAF focusing on physical aptitude of the officials (not to sound elitist), but should't CONCACAF be focusing on making sure some of these smaller countries are truly effective rules wise? I'm not entirely sure of their experience level, but I'm assuming its much lower than guys like Rodriguez.

23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grenada is a FIFA member.

24. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have already been rulings in the U.S. judicial system to the effect that the USSF has no authority to regulate the professional game. So stop being so beligerent. It is a fact. I'm not making it up. There are even blogs and threads about it right here on Big Soccers archives, you can go look it up. http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/illinois/ilndce/1:2006cv05724/202932/184/

25. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I'm not being beligerent. The fact is no team in the world will play in America without some kind of authorisation by an authority of somekind, not by what you say.

Would Chelsea step foot in the county i they played a game, there player got injured but insurance wouldn't pay out because the game wasn't authorised?

Great that you say blogs are there as evidence, blogs, well yeah blogs that anyone can write and don't actually mean anything.

Bam, Bam