Why aren't promotional days advertised on the website?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by irishapple21, Jul 4, 2005.

1. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    When I got a free sierra mist lanyard as a promotion at our home game vs. the Revs, there was no announcement for it and there is no schedule of promotional days on the website either. Anyone know why they don't do that? Anyone know if there is going to be a bobblehead night this year either?

2. soccergrl7

soccergrl7 New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Call the stadium and ask?

3. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    I shouldn't have to. I thought they are running a business.

4. guyricardo

guyricardo Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Newark
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you where running the front office, would you spend money on advertising things like lanyard giveaways? That's about as good as the it gets for Metro/MLS games. On the reare occasions that they give away something they think would draw fans, they will at least mention them on the web site.

An no, don't expect a bobble head or anything else worth actually keeping.

Aslo, don't bother calling the stadium. You'd think metro fans would have learned by now what is controled by MFO vs NJSEA (stadium).

5. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    They should still say something, even if it's just lanyard.

6. guyricardo

guyricardo Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Newark
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get real. The point of my original post is that a lanyard, given to the FO for free by thier sponsor, isn't worth spending money to advertise. Do you honestly think that will bring more fans into the stands?

7. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    If they got some bobbleheads, they could get some asses in the seats at some games. Everyone wants a bobblehead.

8. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    There's actually a good reason why they don't advertise promotional dates......they don't have any giveaways to promote.

They used to give out Sierra Mist drinks, etc, after matches, now you're lucky if you they give you a NJ Herald newspaper. They usually give out a cheesy Metros calendar on the home openers, but that's about it.

As far as bobbleheads, Metros blew it a few years ago when they didn't do it with Mathis when he was actually good. When SJ did it with Donovan, they had a huge crowd, but the only way you could have gotten a Mathis bobblehead was if you went to an AT&T(?) store and asked for one.

You didn't miss much.....the bobblehead doll looked more like Butthead (from "Beavis & Butthead") than Clint. :D

9. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless whether it brings more people, it costs them nothing to put it on their website.

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My sister asked me this exact question last weekend. I told her I have no clue.

Probably the same reason they keep advertising stadium announcements that never happen.

11. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How much does it really cost to add the information on the team website?

12. AbercrombieAnde

AbercrombieAnde New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Utica NY
    It is way to difficult to add it to the website

13. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    How do you figure?

14. AbercrombieAnde

Apr 29, 2004
    Utica NY
    I was being sarcastic

15. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    With your style, misspelling, and lack of punctuation, it's hard to tell if you are serious, sarcastic, or retarded. Thanks for clearing it up.

16. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    According to guyricardo, it's too expensive.

Come on guys, get real here.

17. guyricardo

guyricardo Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Newark
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe some of you take this so seriously. Yes I know some are being sarcastic. This is the Metro forum aafter all.

Look at this from a business standpoint.

No it doesn't cost them much to add something to the website, but it soes cost them something. It's more a matter of priority. They do have to justify the webmaster/graphic designers salaries. In order for them to do that, they need to see some value in the information they are adding. A lanyard giveaway isn't going to make the grade. I certainly wouldn't expect that people are going to make a decision on going to a game based on that. If they did do a larger promotion like a bobble head, then I would expect that they would advertise that knowing that it would generate increased ticket sales. I just don't expect such a promotion. I would encourage anyone that thinks these promotions would make a difference to write the MFO and let them know. Bringing it up here won't make a difference.

That being said, they usually do give something away at many of the games if you're get there early enough. It can even make a difference which gate you enter through. Go figure...

18. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    The amount of ridiculous banter and speculation on this board boggles my mind. This above quote may be the all-time champion, getting high marks for subject matter ("whether a Sierra Mist Lanyard Giveaway is worthy of a mention on the Metro website") and a strongly stated final decision by someone who hasn't a clue what goes on in Harmon Plaza (they need to see some value in the information they are adding. A lanyard giveaway isn't going to make the grade.)

Ay yi yi.

19. AbercrombieAnde

Apr 29, 2004
    Utica NY

Its expensive if your going to make billboards and advertisements in the newspaper and radio.

But it takes two seconds and its free to post it on the website that they already pay for

20. guyricardo

guyricardo Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Newark
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose you do know what's going on in the front office? Truth is none of us know. I tried to give some perspective based on my general corporate experience. On that level I do have more than a clue, and will stick by my statements, guesswork though they may be.

Thanks for raising the level of ridiculous banter and speculation. I'm done.

21. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    I just think that listing promotions would be one of those little things that wouldn't take much time and would foster better MFO/fan relations. I love to come for promotional days. Everyone likes to get something for free. Case in point: The mad rush for Snickers when someone scores after the 75th minute and we win the game. Holy crap! I'm surprised people don't get killed! :p

22. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    You are absolutely right. I know when I pick out what Mets games to buy tickets for at the beginning of the season, I always buy an extra pair of tickets for "Cap Day", or some other tschochke giveaway.

23. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Yeah, writing an extra paragraph in the game preview won't, and shouldn't change one's salary. They must be doing a pretty bad job managing money if they are paying those guys for each paragraph they write when all they do is simply copy off of a piece of paper and type, or maybe go the extra yard and copy and paste the article from an email.