Why aren’t you currently serving in the U.S. military?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Magpie Maniac, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, the "cyst on butt" option was in honor of Rush Limbaugh. Seems like there was a chronic ass cyst problem among Republicans back 35 years ago.

2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Not just Republicans-- it was fairly popular all around...

3. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too old to join (45) now. Also knee problems from playing soccer. When I was younger I wanted to fly for the Navy, but my eyes let me down junior year in college (I was offered a back seat, but I wouldn't want to fly with someone like ME in the front seat :D). So I have been either a contractor or government employee most of my life.

BTW, for those of you who don't know (and I'll bet that's a big group given some of the responses I've read) a lot of contractors go to Iraq too.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    For what is worth, I'll be glad to serve America if the country tells me that they have serious need for individuals like me. (Somebody in their early forties.) I'm not about to go at this stage of my life just to make a point, but if the serious need was there I think it is the least I could do for a country which adopted me and was good to me.

If I was younger, I might consider joining now. I had some training when I was drafted in Argentina at age 18, although I wouldn't say I'm ready for action. Also, as far as risking my life, I marched on the Plaza de Mayo to protest against the government, when it was dangerous to do so, and at a time when the consequences could have been worse than death or even worse than whatever a crazy present day terrorist might throw my way.

Freedom is worth fighting for.

5. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill Maher sums it up right here:
    New Rule: The people in America who are most in favor of the Iraq war must now go there and fight it. The Army missed its recruiting goal by 42% last month. More people joined the Michael Jackson Fan Club. "We've done picked all the low-lying Lynndie England fruit." And now we need warm bodies. We need warm bodies like Paula Abdul needs...warm bodies!

Now, last week, a Baptist minister in North Carolina told nine members of his congregation that unless they renounced their 2004 vote for John Kerry, they had to leave his church. Well, if we're that certain these days that George Bush is always that right about everything, then going to Iraq to fulfill the glorious leader's vision would seem the least one could do. And, hey, if it makes it any easier for you, just think of it as a reality show: "Fear Factor: Shitting Your Pants Edition." "Survivor: Sunni Triangle." Or maybe it's a video game, "Grand Theft Allah."

Now, I know you're thinking, but, Bill, I already do my part with the "Support Our Troops" magnet I have on my Chevy Tahoe. How much more can one man give? Well, here's an intriguing economic indicator. It's been over a year since they graduated, but neither of the Bush twins has been able to find work. Why don't they sign up? Do they hate America or just freedom in general?

And that goes for everybody who helped sell this war. You've got to go first. Brooks and Dunn, drop your cocks and grab your socks! Ann Coulter, darling, trust me, you will love the Army. You think you make up ********!

Curt Schilling, b-bye! You ended the curse on Boston. Good. Let's try your luck in Fallouja. Oh, and that Republican Baldwin brother, he's got to go so that Ted Nugent has someone to frag.

But mostly, we have to send Mr. And Mrs. Britney Spears. Because Britney once said, "We should trust our president in every decision that he makes, and we should just support that and be faithful in what happens." Okay, somebody has to die for that. Or at least go. Hey, maybe she'll like it. Hell, she's already knocked up. That'll save the MP unit about ten minutes.

And think of the spiritual lift it will provide to troops and civilians alike when actual combat smacks the smirk off of Kevin Federline's face and fills his low-hanging trousers with dootie.

6. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That does pretty much sum it up.

7. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh for crying out loud. Now we are taking our political philosophy from a guy who's trying to be funny. Pathetic doesn't begin to "sum it up".

8. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Is a mer canary, like, a yellow sea gull that sings?

But seriously, well not seriously, but to answer your question anyway: I guess.

Depends on whether you think citizenship has value I suppose.

9. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    At least in his case its intentional... no disassembling and misunderestimations...

10. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Are they like little yellow birds that can swim underwater? :)

11. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    This thread is 8 pages long and has remained entirely civil and pleasant.

What's wrong?

12. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Well, I've got medical outs (bum knee and color blindness). I've also got philosophical differences with the current administration. Neither of those are the reason that I'm not in the military, however (indeed, when I was 18, my knees were fine and I was quite happy with the President). I'm not in the military for three main reasons:

1- I'm a literature geek. I always have been. When the recruiters called in high school and told me they had military careers for every interest, I asked them which one would let me work with Chaucer and Shakespeare. He went quiet.

2- I'm a born pacifist. I understand that force is necessary at times, but I've never been a very aggressive person. I was always the one breaking up fights, rather than participating in them. I was a born diplomat. I also have a fierce streak of individuality, so I have doubts that I would even make it through boot camp without being tossed out. I'm not saying that all military folks are mindless or sheep by any means, but they do have to assimilate to the military philosophy. The famous "break you down and build you back up" approach. People could scream at me, wake me up at all hours and tell me to do push-ups until my arms fell off. I'd still be me. And I'd likely be making sarcastic comments the whole way. My big mouth would probably earn others in the troup or whatever it's called about 8 years of KP.

3- In my 25 years on this planet, there have been about 8 months total that went by without my having a dog. I'm a dog person. I've had my current one for 6 years. Even the "lesser" branches like the Navy, Air Force or Coast Guard that I might be able to get through without getting chucked out, wouldn't let me have a pet dog, and to be perfectly honest, I'm not happy without one.

13. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

Leave it to a far right Christ-o-Phile to go and move the goalposts of this thread. You know you got that comment right out of the Talking Points Memo/Anne Coulter/Fox News. GO TO WAR YOU CHICKENHAWK!

Better? :D

14. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, shouldn't I get + rep for that? I started it. ;)

15. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pardon the length of this post, but I couldn't resist.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh well, it was good while it lasted. Hey Magpie, you should have resisted.

18. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D Who said I'm not the author of confusion?

19. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Oh, you can't post too much of that for my tastes-- fire away. :)

I hadn't seen the DeLay quote about supporting the troops...

Saying you can't support the troops without supporting the suits is like saying you can't support the union without supporting the board of directors.

20. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have one for all the members of congress? I would like to see people from both parties who served and who didn't and their votes concerning the action in Iraq.

Be interesting to see who put their money where their mouths were.

21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm too lazy right now to do it, but if you do a search this particular topic was discussed already. The stats for who served in the military and what party they're from isn't too surprising. I believe it was in favor of the Republicans, but it wasn't overly so. It was pretty even for the most part.

22. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I'm 16, but if I could I would.

23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I believe you can join the Marines with parental consent...

24. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me, too. Considering what's going on nowadays, ChickenhawkCards.com focuses on Republicans.

As for Democrats, there was some guy running against Bush last fall who claimed to have served in Vietnam. Some group called the Steamboat Veterans for Christ or something like that set the record straight though. :rolleyes:

25. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I don't know about that, but if I were to go I would want to be in either the Air Force or the Marines.