Why are US keepers seemingly quite good

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Oct 23, 2016.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    in their position compared to say other outfield players on the US team?

Are US keepers quality for cheap? Do they tend to excel only in the PL? How come we haven't seen any Italian or Spanish clubs looking to pick some up?

are US keepers underrated or overrated? do you think the likes of Horvath/Hamid/Bingham/Cropper/Steffen stand out as carrying the US proud like (Friedel, Keller, Howard) have before?

2. JuggleMeBalls

JuggleMeBalls Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Formerly Sec 103
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    IMO, the question itself is false. I'm not certain any of those younger keepers listed will ever be consistent topflight European starters. Our best ever, which you list here and should include Guzan, were never even at the height of their careers considered even top ten in the word. They were well respected topflight keepers for years though, and that's something for sure. But the point of the question is why were they able to break through and be consistent starters when other Americans struggle. I think the relative success of the American keeper has more to do with the poor technical ability of American outfield players. Not why so many goaltenders but rather why so few non GKs.
    Even with that said I'd say Clint Dempsey and Geoff Cameron have/had similar type careers in Europe. Pulisic is a star and will probably surpass any American ( probably already has in talent and level of competition)