Why Are Razor Blades So Dang Expensive?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  3. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  4. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Companies add unnecessary additions to justify their higher price. Who knew you needed a vibrating razor with a battery for a closer shave?

I have used with razors with 3, 4 and 5 blades and I don't see any incremental improvements, in other words I get 5 o clock shadow at the same time. ;)

Razors are expensive! Because of shoplifting certain brands are behind the cash register or are under lock and key. Remember when condoms were behind the cash register? :laugh:

5. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have a beard so i don't shave my entire face, just neck and the part btwn me neb and sideburns lest i resemble The Wolfman more than Sean Connery. i buy packs of blades at Costco once a year for $20.

stop snivelling, you wusses! ;)

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I still haven't decided to lose the beard or not, but if I do, it's likely gone for good. In your 20s or 30s, most guys can pull off the few days of stubble that you have to endure before you get the actual beard. At my age, and I don't think it matters if you're me or George Clooney, you look like a wino for a week to 10 days.

And sometimes it takes a man to really snivel.

7. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't cut it. you'll want to grow it back in due time, and you'll hafta go through the break-in period...

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Used to grow a beard for the harsh Alabama winters, but I stopped a few years ago and just grow it when I feel like it. I can't shave every day- if I did, I'd scratch like a dog at the door. So about every three days, I just run the same clippers over my face that I use for my scalp. Most of the time, it's all the same length save a patch I keep on the chin. The clippers keep things neat but not so close that I get ingrown hairs and bumps. I use a razor only if it's a big deal, and then it's both scalp and face.

9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i use single-bladed bic classics, 5 for 1,20€ (about a buck fifty). i find the budget brands really aren't any good, but you don't need more than the orange and white. 3 blades, 5 blades (five?! why not 10? 20?), aloe strips, ejectors... it's all worthless gadgetry.

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Still likely to lose it. It's about four different colors at this point, and the rest of my hair is the same color it was when I was in college. In the fall I'm going to start an MA program in mental health counseling, and I'll be twenty years older than the average age. Of course there's this option...

But I'm in the 95% of white guys who can't try this without people asking how my chemo is going. My brother in law can do it, but it won't work for me.

Auriaprottu and StiltonFC repped this.
  11. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have a weird-shaped head. if i were to shave my skull women and children would run screaming...

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It'll mean you look more like you actually know shit about something than the rest of the class. I've got a few strands of grey and don't plan on getting rid of them.

Post of the thread

13. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tell them you won't do anything but Gestalt and Reichian (bioenergetic) therapy. at your (apparent?) age they'll think you're the bees knees (how that for dated?)

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'll grow it back when I finish. The (more than a few in my case) strands of grey well come in handy then.

I'll have my Orgone accumulator up and running next August.

StiltonFC repped this.
  15. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you have a chair picked out?

[​IMG]

these come recommended.

16. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    YankBastard repped this.
  17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    that setup does look classy. when i started shaving it was with gear just like that. but with 10 bic classics running about a buck-fifty (roughly half the cost of the feather blades alone) the system won't save money.

it is more ecological! but since a pack of bics lasts me well over a year (1. i only shave three times a week 2. i prefer using blades that are not too sharp and 3. i have a very soft beard) that's not the worst thing i do to kill the planet.

18. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I finally got fed up with the price of cartridges . Over $4 per cartridge for the Fusion is just ridiculous. I can't use disposables, they don't do a good job on my heavy beard and they irritate my skin. Plus, they're disposables, so there is that.. I also noticed that every time that Gillette comes out with a new model, the quality of the blades of the previous models goes down. The last time that I used a Sensor it felt almost like a cheap disposable.

So, like ImaPuppy, I decided to go old-school. I got a Merkur similar to the Edwin Jagger that he posted. Got some double-edge blades, a brush and lather cream, and that was that. That was about 6 years ago and I never looked back.

The blades cost about 10 to 25 cents depending on the brand or where you get them. On ebay you can get a box of 100 for less than 10 dollars.

19. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I switched from cartridges a couple years ago and doubt I will ever go back. The modern gimmicks are nothing but a ripoff.

I haven't done the double edge thing, but i'm sure it's a great way to go. I use a straight razor, both regular and disposable blade. You won't save much money with the regular razor, but a "shavette" and disposable blades is a real money saver and you get a better shave than cartridge to boot (no matter how many blades it has). I bought a pack of 100 single edge blades for about $6 and throw them away after two 2-3 pass shaves, which is before I really need to because they are so cheap. I could use them again a couple more times, probably. I could probably go 5-6 shaves if I only did a single pass. My beard is medium heavy. That's about a penny a shave after you own the "shavette" holder ($10-$20).

It takes me a few extra minutes per shave, but it's worth it for the quality.

20. Klimpt

Klimpt New Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    They want to make as much profit as possible.