Why are people talking like Gooch is one of our best players?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Honore de Ballsac, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I love the way Boca plays , but I do think he might be a little overlooked in the build up for this world cup. If Cory Gibbs is healthy and in form , it loooks like him and Gooch might be starting centerbacks,but I hope Boca can lift his play in the premiership, and possibly start at left back , because we are having some problems right there as of late.

2. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but I did read Bobcat's Revenge by Claude Balls.

3. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I just feel like we have brass balls in the back the way we never have before. He could be a prototype American defender.

4. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    I know de Ballsack, asked for no pics, but the one where Gooch is standing next to Landon and Kasey is all that needs to be said. We've had difficulty with european teams due to our lack of size, and Gooch is one part of the answer for that. Our current roster of defenders can handle Concacaf, having defenders like Gooch, takes us to the next level of competing with european teams on european soil.

And, the BS hype has been mostly due to Omikell. He has been promoting Gooch ever since he went to Belgium and there was alot of skepticism until about the time Gooch made the Jupiler XI. As for Azteca, wasn't that Gooch's 2nd appearance and first start?

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His career yellow count for Standard is 12 in 56 games, so one every 5.5 games.

If you want to dig deeper, he has four yellows in 940 or so MNT minutes, one every 240 or so minutes, meaning one every 2.75 games or so. Two of those came in one game so in 2005, he had two yellows and no reds in 840 minutes of play, translating to one yellow in every 420 minutes or one about every five games.

So you personally might think that he's a red card risk, but the statistics show that, take away one MNT match, he gets a yellow about every five matches. Call me crazy, but I'll trust the historical perspective of statistics that say he's been red carded exactly three times in 60-some games at the club or national team level a tad mroe than your personal opinion since you obviously started this thread to shine a critical light on Gooch.

I think he's a hell of a player with a lot of upside. Time will tell how good he is, but he seems to rise to the challenge every time he's given an opportunity to shine. I hope the World Cup is another example.

Just to add, in the Bruce Arena era, the US has had 12 red cards in 127 matches. I have seen the worry of certain people being red card worries thrown around these boards from time to time, but a historical perspective shows that we just simply don't get that many red cards to make it a serious worry.

The moment for me was when he subbed in for Pope at the end of the Panama qualifier in DC. The size difference in the two was plainly obvious. That's not everything, but you can't teach size.

6. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Not to break my arm patting myself on the back :D , but some of us posters have been pimping him since before he went to Belgium.

Cheifly myself and Sandon Mibut.

Since Gooch is a local guy (DC suburbs), we've had an eye on him for about 4 or 5 years now.

A lot of people talk of Landon/DMB from that first Bradenton class as the jewels (and they are) but to me Gooch was the player that really stood out in that U-17 tournament and he continued to impress thru his two years at Clemson as well as the U-20 WC in Argentina and during the few times he was released to play for the Olympic qualifiers.

7. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    A quick note RE: hype and BigSoccer.

We're fans. This is a fan forum. We don't have any actual influence on any player or game when we're sitting at our computers. Gooch is exciting for fans to root for because he brings a bad-ass quality to his on-field persona (don't think any of us know him personally) that is fun to root for and that we didn't have anyone to play that role. Now we have a bad-ass that seems to fit in the Charles Barkley/LT/Mike Tyson vein and we haven't had one before. So it's fun to talk about. It won't change anything.

Read Bruce's quotes about him to figure if he's "one of our best players" and after that we'll just have to wait and see what he does.

8. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly . I cant wait to see him whomp on Koller next summer :D

9. AminKor02

AminKor02 New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    When East Asian players are taller than your team, there's a problem. Perhaps it's an overgeneralization, but in the US your bigger, more athletic men are going into every sport but soccer. I hope Gooch is the shape of things to come, but until you can score multi-million dollar contracts for the players, I don't think we're gonna see too much of his size...

10. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

I'm thankfully new to this discussion and I can see someone touting Bocanegra over Onyewu but you got to be careful not to put too much weight on Boca's England play one way or another when you are thinking who should start in central defense, Gooch or Boca. Basically in 2005 it looked like in Arena's eyes very much like Onyewu became an everyday starter in central defense for the Nats in 2005.

I say this for two reasons. The first is because he started every game he was called in for- in central defense. That's big. Other players were moved to accommodate him. In retrospect the Gold Cup was huge for Gooch.

However it must be said that you can't project he will start as a slam dunk certainty in Germany. Why? A major player in the central defender race, Gibbs, was hurt last year, and he'll be back in time for Germany and also because Arena was really giving Bocanegra an extended trial at left back. An unsuccessful trial one might add as all indications point to Arena now going with a combination of Eddie Lewis and Hedjuk/Spector/Albright and maybe Pierce there.

Still, 2005 saw an important trend: When Onyewu gets a callup, he starts. The same can't be said for Bocanegra.

Go back again to the Boca at left back experiment for my second reason why Gooch is ahead of Boca in the central defender pecking order. One trend by Arena is that when he has a position that's thin he will move players from other positions into it and see if they can adapt. However, and this is important, he rarely moves a starter from another position. This is true at left back where he's had Boca, Lewis, Convey, Spector, and Albright all play there. To me this is the surest thing to show that Boca is not projected as a starter in central defense by Arena when all the players are accounted for.

None of this of course will convince someone who's wary of Onyewu for some reason. "A card risk" has been brought up and has been found to be well, unfounded. But really you don't need a reason to be wary. Is Gooch perfect? Of course not. Has anyone outplayed him in 2005 in central defense? Just as obvious- no. That includes what Boca did there as well.

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    not to nitpick, but gooch and boca don't even play the same side - gibbs should probably be considered bocanegra's competition for a place in the starting lineup

12. GOYA-GOYA

GOYA-GOYA Member

Dec 15, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gooch is a monster in back. He has size and speed, and can help make up for deficiencies in the surrounding defenders. This is critical if BA surrounds him with slow defenders like Berhalter and Bocanegra, or short defenders like Hejduk and Cherundolo.

Just the sight of him in central defense is an imposing sight for the opponent. Just ask Borgetti.

Woops, I think Jared just had an accident in bed because of the Onyewu nightmare.

13. anticheese

anticheese Member

Jan 24, 2003

14. Gazza Meola

Gazza Meola New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Redmond, Oregon
    Ursula wrote: "This is true at left back where he's had Boca, Lewis, Convey, Spector, and Albright all play there. To me this is the surest thing to show that Boca is not projected as a starter in central defense by Arena when all the players are accounted for."

First, thanks for sharing some interesting (and factual) information on this debate. I do think that the question of whom Arena starts in the back is one of the most intriguing developments of the next few months.

Some questions to ponder:

While Gooch is athletic, with excellent size and speed, does he have the saavy of Berhalter?

Who is the best pairing at central defense? Gooch and Pope? Berhalter and Gibbs? Boca and the list goes on?

Will Arena keep the same pairing throughout, or will he vary it based upon the opponent?

15. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked throughout the end of qualifying that BA was trying out the Gooch-Berhalter combo , which I think worked pretty well , but I think when Gibbs get back , it might push Berhalter farther down on the depth chart.
    I think during the WC the central defense pairing might be based on the opponent , but also on injuries and cards, and getting the best players we can onto the field.

16. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I fully expect it to vary based upon the opponent, but Gooch will start all 3 games. My guess is that Gibbs gets the start against the athletic Czech and Ghanian front lines, while a wilier player, either Boca or Berhalter, goes against Italy.

17. GOYA-GOYA

GOYA-GOYA Member

Dec 15, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I don't see Berhalter as a starter unless there are injuries to the front line defensive starters. Onyewu has proven that he deserves one of these positions.

18. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Don't forget Countess. I had a bet back in '98 that both of them would be on our 2002 team. Not that it should matter, but I've been a big booster of Onyewu and I'm thrilled he's in the Nats picture.

I can certainly live with one yellow card in the first round. Or is that two?

Okay, why would you omit the double yellow game? Aren't you intentionally skewing the stats?

:rolleyes: Will snide do?

I did start this thread to shine a critical light on Gooch and the back situation -- not to disparage a player I happen to like a lot. I am hoping not to get sucked into negative stuff between posters.

I think you're omitting one game again. Two if you count the red card.

That's a good point and BTW you have changed my opinion on the card risk thing by at least 90 degrees. Thank you - that's the kind of thing I was looking for in starting the thread.

I'm not missing the point that he's big and can play. He's pretty fast too, right?

Yeesh - tough crowd.
    I thought your post was very good but the thread hasn't been half-bad - unless I happen to miss all the quality, heady discussions on BigSoccer.

...Only to test out the opinions I read here, looking for just your kind of analysis. And more if I can get it.

19. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Combining the club and country stats, he averages a yellow more than once every three games. So why do you bring up two in the first round?

No, noty at all. He learned from his lesson, maybe. Something bad happened. He corrected it.

You're cute when you're defensive after part of your point is shredded to bits.

The red was a result of two yellows. Since then he has had an exemplary discinple record in international play.

Next time before you try and assign labels to players, you should do the research yourself. If you're too lazy to do that, don't take offense when others point out the flaws in your theories.

20. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Is that what you meant to say? I brought up two in the first round because you said he averages a card every 2.75 US games.

Not that it makes a big difference, but it may give you something to blowhard about... Gooch may need to foul more for country than club. Would you agree that some defenders and mids have to foul more when they're asked to play at a faster pace and higher level?

Again, not saying that's the case for Gooch. Just thinking it might shade our assessment.

Yeah maybe. But that still seems like a very subjective take to me, for somebody pretending to come in hard with the stats.

"Shredding to bits"... :rolleyes: I didn't really have a point. Try chilling out or finding some place more appropriate to act tough.

Cool!

But you said he seemed to rise to the challenge every time he's been given an opportunity to shine. The red card wasn't such a case and neither was the game at Azteca. So you were omitting some games again.

I take offense when they're jerks about it. And on this thread that's been pretty much just YOU. Seriously what's your prob? That I said "seems like a red card risk" in my original post?

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

22. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

23. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

24. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to BS :D Right now, the winds are blowing in favor of the Gooch and he's the second coming. Plus he plays in Europe so he must be good ... right?

That can all change in a heartbeat.

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Interesting thread.

To be honest, I had Gooch & Gibbs mentally inked in as a WC starter. But when the latest SoccerAmerica stated that those guys would likely be backups, I paused. SoccerAmerica does a pretty good job of getting its finger on Bruce's current pulse. Thus, I believe that Arena is indeed probably leaning toward experience in the middle, that is Pope, Berhalter, and/or Bocanegra.