Why all the VARguing? [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by zaqualung, Nov 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #476 newterp, Mar 13, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    Havertz gets away with a very violent elbow - and gets cleared by VAR for a yellow. He scores an 89th minute winner.

Same game - Chalobah pulls and trip the Newcastle player - blatantly. VAR says cool - carry on.

And the Luis Diaz incident.....what do we even say?

soccershaggy and speker repped this.
  2. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

newterp repped this.
  3. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's an outfield player I'm sure he's sent off... the goal going in and it being a keeper makes it complicated, I think.

Still could have gone though, it's wildly reckless.

4. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Common sense change to what it means to be impacting play as a defender when it comes to judging an attacker offside.

This will make the future automated offside calls even easier, when that system is implemented... which I believe is next year already?

5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Premier League chief executive Richard Masters has revealed that recordings of conversations between referees and VARs will be made available to the public after matches.

The aim of the plan is to increase transparency about refereeing decisions. The practice already takes place in the US’s Major League Soccer.

Masters’ comments come just weeks after former referee Mike Dean claimed fans should be able to listen to referees and VARs debating decisions. Masters confirmed that the idea of releasing conversations has board support, however they would only be released post-match as football’s lawmakers do not allow live broadcasts.

He said: “There is a general view that [releasing the audio] is a good thing. There is a desire to be more open with fans about referees’ decision-making and how we do that precisely we need to work out.”

6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    another change this season ...

A multi-ball system will be in place as the league attempts to combat time-wasting after it was shown that the ball was only in play for an average of 55 minutes and seven seconds last season. One ball will be on the pitch, the fourth official will have a spare ball, and there will be a further eight balls stationed around the pitch. It is hoped the system will speed up play.

.... so players will have less time too think / catch their breath. thrown ins will just take longer.

7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I'd like to have a release of Sat morning's game. Didn't Adrian have both hands on the ball the other day? And isn't it at that point in the act that you pass the cut-off for having the ball legally challenged?
    Did the Var-refs even discuss this while they were busy eyeing up one of those pointless offsides??

8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably. Looks 50/50-ish to me, don't think he had control personally.

But will be good to have this level transparency for these kinds of calls.

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be fair, I think only the Prem does the 1 ball thing these days. A lot of leagues have been doing it for a while. I know MLS has always done it, at least. I know that doesn't mean much to most of you and I understand why :p.

10. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A positive step...we need refs with more balls.

It just had to be said...:)

SamScouse repped this.
  11. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like a reasonable change to implement and at least see what happens.

12. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #487 zaqualung, Aug 2, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    Yeah - it's 50%-50% on control, agreed - and I heard there was an angle where it looked like both hands weren't touching the ball - but my question is only "if they were both touching it" ... surely then?

That's the (underlined) point I am making. The why of if it was/wasn't a foul (if both hands were at the ball).
    Because you don't have control at the exact instant that your 2nd hand touch follows the first and touches upon the surface of the ball, but that's the only level of control that the eye can see or try to measure/guess. (For example, I, as a not very useful goalkeeper, could try to catch every ball that Allison catches - and I would have little problem getting two hands on it most times, height permitting, but I'd rarely be in actual effective control of it after that ...)
    So, I thought, as the point usually apparently is that they don't wait to see if actual control is sustained, after the ball is kicked while the keeper is clambering to touch it; instead they judge it beforehand, and the rule (I thought) was that at that particular point you can no longer kick the ball out of the goalkeeper's grasp. Control not being readable, because there's no human way to know what level of grasp is being successfully controlled by the grasper until after he has been allowed to effect this??

If this wasn't the case, then it would (should) be permissible to launch a kick timed to meet the ball just as the keeper is catching it with his arms outstretched into broad daylight, as opposed to only when his hands are being half-obscured by his body on the ground, and not be penalized....

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We are just about off and running on this... pretty exciting.

14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. At some point these things will always be a judgment call, it's just like a 50/50 red card or a 50/50 penalty or whatever... you can always make a case either way when something is on the line.

If he has both hands clearly on the ball, yeah I guess they consider that an infringement. Just like what happened recently in the prem, a ball was kicked away from a keeper who had 1 hand on top pinning the ball to the ground, which is also covered as "keeper control". But it's always going to be debatable, as these are edge cases for the most part. We don't see this too often and each situation is different.

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I guess you and I have a different idea of what's :exciting" hobo.

I'll reserve judement - with low expectations - until I see it in operation.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you do indeed want less time spent on VAR decisions, this is the only kind "excitement" you are going to find in the world of VAR. I mean I assume you'd be very excited if they scrapped VAR altogether... but that's never going to happen.

But that said I too want to see what it looks like. From everything they've said so far, it is an improvement on the system as it currently exists so I don't see any reason to not look forward to it. However... it's possible for them to ******** anything up. So, as always we'll see how they handle it.

imasyko repped this.
  17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    From what little I've read I'd like to see it succeed too, but the ppl running VAR have done little to inspire confidence.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't disagree there.

19. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    From everything they said VAR was supposed to be an improvement, too...

20. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #495 EruditeHobo, Aug 4, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    And it is an improvement, but only in terms of what they specifically said it would "improve". By all accounts, this automated offside system will do everything they say it will do as well; depending on how they implement it that may be a more rocky "improvement" or it may be a smoother adjustment... guess we will find out in the CL group stage.

But it will not be good at solving all the problems people have with the current system... at least not until they majorly overhaul the actual laws of the game; VAR will not get rid of toenail offsides; it will not eliminate long reviews for certain kinds of close decisions; it will not get rid of difficult to assess / 50-50 calls which require ref interpretation. It's only trying to more often get the important decisions correct, in an overall sense.

el-capitano repped this.
  21. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will it allow the linesman to put up his flag prior to the GK getting mauled by an obviously offside attacker? That part of the rule is retarded.

Wingtips1, zaqualung and SamScouse repped this.
  22. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'd like to Rep this 10,000 times, please.

23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    supposed to be some direction this year for the linesman to put the flag up when it's "obvious" and won't lead to a goal scoring opportunity- or something.

24. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The problem is that before VAR, toenail offsides were not involved in the game flow; sure - they existed, as rightly called or wrongly uncalled rulings, etc ... but in effect they were merely annoyances to fans and Alan Shearer types, post-game....

But they only exist for reference and hold-up of celebration and unreasonable tension within the spectacle of the game because of VAR............

For some, that's to the good, but for others it's to the poisoned chalice in simulacrum-land .... I'll leave it to random guesses as to which it is for me....

Yes - change the rule to something that fans want to measure correctly, please....

Wingtips1 repped this.
  25. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what that is. but if there's a proposal for what offside should look like that you think tons of fans would be more happy with I'm interested in hearing it.