Why all the hype?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by tytomkiel, Jul 11, 2005.

1. XYZ1234

XYZ1234 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    It's just a tad harder for Greece to qualify than for the US, but please don't let facts or any bit of reality get in your way.

2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Kirovski isnt a good example because he isnt on the national team now and hasnt been for a while. .

Dolo and Gooch yea, but i could have sworn Gibbs started out in MLS.

3. tytomkiel

tytomkiel Red Card

Feb 12, 2002
    San Diego, Ca
    Are you saying the US Nats couldnt qualify in Europe?

4. tytomkiel

tytomkiel Red Card

Feb 12, 2002
    San Diego, Ca
    Re: What is your point?

Very good analysis, very good. I agree it is nice to see some young Americans go overseas. But a lot of people are blinded by the fact that they are in Europe. When young Americans go to Europe they typically dont play as they would in MLS. That is the point I am trying to get across, take our top 22 players, players who started in MLS will be greater than those who started in Europe. I just think, and I havent said it till now, that people on Bigsoccer rip on MLS and then turn around and piss there pants in excitment because a 15 year old signed with a Bulgarian 3rd division team..its wishful thinking.

Ralston and Kirovski have had about the same quality game for US but Ralston has 24 caps 3 goals as a wide middie and Kirovski has 62 matches and 9 goals, so I think its safe to say Ralston is more effective. Bease vs Pope? Well Pope has been a great defender for USA and Bease has been a great midfielder. But they both started in MLS so it really is irrelavant to the argument.

5. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: What is your point?

You are obviously very lacking in math skills.
    If I told you that in the last 10 years 90% of American soccer players started in MLS wouldn't you expect 90% of the national teamers to have started in MLS?

I don't know what the numbers are, but there are certainly way more players that start in MLS which is why there are more national teamers that started in MLS AND more bad players that started in MLS. Its pure statistics...

People rip on MLS too much for sure, but your poorly laid out arguments aren't helping the pro-MLS side of things. Additionally, too many of the European players you mention are far too young to say one way or another.
    Also, another player you forgot to mention was Landon Donovan who started in Europe. He's the best player in MLS and on the national team in my opinion.

6. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D :D LOL That's hilarous this could be my new sig line. Big Soccer is so awesome!!

7. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newcastle sure did spank that ass right of the UEFA Cup though.. :p

Sorry I couldn't resist :D

8. 5t3v3

5t3v3 New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Well said

9. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Guys he is right. You do over hype players. Burciagga for instance. This guy is not that good.

Look at how everyone was saying Donovan was going to make it in Germany.

Honestly, John Obrien is the best US mens national team when healthy.