Why all the Dempsey-hating??

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dammit!, Dec 29, 2005.

1. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey was not a factor for the Revo the second half of the season.
    I saw every game. He was very disappointing.

But, he's young. With the history of injuries for Reyna and JOB, there could be a lot of vacancies in the US midfield, and he has every chance to earn a spot in the team.

2. revfan11

revfan11 Member

Jul 10, 2001
    As a fellow Rev fan, I agree that he was disappointing, but I believe that he played significantly better when Cancela was starting, so that Cancela could assume the creative duties. Dempsey is not a creative midfielder, as that was often the role asked of him when he was playing in front of Joseph and Daniel Hernandez. When there is somebody like Cancela to create the opportunities and handle the ball in the attacking zones, Dempsey can lurk and make his runs without being focused on as much by the defense.

3. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Me neither, but I think he will make do with what he gets from now on. That's his game anyway.

It has always seemed he was just trying too hard for the US instead of simply doing his thing. After he scored against Panama, he immediately settled down and started playing the way one expects him to play. I would be very surprised if he locks up again. At least I hope not. And as long as he doesn't get nervous again and lock up, he'll score many more goals.

RE: Dempsey, I would be very worried if I were him about Kyle Martino. With Sigi in at Columbus, I bet Martino comes good this year. Marshall and Buddle also if possible. And if Sigi recommends them, they WILL get serious looks. I don't see Kyle becoming a serious AM, but more of a backup in that position.

I bet he could do extremely well in a Reyna-esque position as a deep lying playmaker though.

4. st ryma 7

st ryma 7 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    the south bay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ive got to say, im pretty important, and one of the most reputable posters this website has ever seen, and ive got to say im a dempsey hater, hes not bad for his club, but doesnt exactly possess skills/speed/soccer knowledge it takes to be a national teamer

5. st ryma 7

st ryma 7 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    the south bay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well i wouldnt say that, he might see time in the gold cup a few summers from now, maybe a friendly or two this winter(early), but no game of any importance at all, hes not a gamer

6. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really? which international games did you feel he showed improvement in? b/c i've watched them all, and to me, he's seemed to flat-line at "mediocre to average" for just about every cap he's had.

but you say he's improving, and you're really smart. i'm sure you just wouldn't go on a message board and make a frivolous claim, without any evidence to back it up. so you can educate me on the "improvement" that you've seen in Clint's international game.

no $hit? i couldn't tell.

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He's a 2-way mid in 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. What works against him is that Bruce usually chooses to have a designated destroyer and a designated deep play-maker. If someone wants a box-to-box mid, Clint may be your man ... but he does have to polish his skills before he gets to the international level.

8. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    The game.

9. bradley31

bradley31 New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    I've seen Dempsey play probably 10-12 times. Seems to me everytime he gets the ball he goes straight forward with no skill and loses it. He may be fast, he may be tall, but I don't see enough "world class" (love that phrase) technique or finishing touch there to make me think he should be in our immediate World Cup plans.

I'd love to be proved wrong. Does anyone have the clips of Clint showing off his skill or incredible passing ability?

10. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Totally agree. It seems that when he settled down and tried to play like a
    true a-mid or like a holding mid-fielder things started to fall apart. In
    Nats games Arena used him mostly on the wing and as an a-mid which didn't
    work out.

His best position so far is that of two-way midfielder in five man midfield.

In a four man line, you might pair him with a d-mid possessing excellent distribution skills and with withdrawn forward fronting. Maybe something like:

-------------------Ching-------------------
    --------------------Donovan---------------
    --Davis---------------------------Ralston--
    -------------Dempsey--Clark---------------

in terms of prominent American MLSers.

11. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Hehe. Didn't see this.

but yeah I could also see him rolling in a three man line of:

------Dempsey----------Clark-------
    ---------------Mastro---------------

12. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    I'd like to see those clips as well. Also, are there any clips where he pushes straight forward without skill, then loses it? (The ball or his composure.)

13. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    I think the criticisms around Convey centered on the hype surrounding him
    despite the lack of spectacular play with DeeCee or with the senior Nats
    and his getting called in to camps over other players. This year he's
    apparently playing well on a team full of players playing extremely well--
    check out the English II Actim Index.

14. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr Dempsey, meet Mr. Convey

edit: Ringo beat me to it

15. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Were you born with a d1ck up your butt or is that something you've obtained during your lifetime?

:)

His speed of play still suffers, but he is better at holding the ball and using his strength to keep possession. That might be just him getting stronger but it's still an improvement. Also, he gets his head up more rather than looking down at the ball all the time.

16. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Exactly.

He needs to learn what fellow big-eared U.S. midfielder John O'Brien has discovered; that growing you hair longer helps to conceal those satellite dishes.

17. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is to busey for soccer he is doing his Rap album

18. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    I think it maybe because he has very little skill.

19. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Worried Noonan won't make it? Is the goal to have a lot of Revs make the team or to succeed at the WC?

I'm not a Dempsey hata (he's a Texas boy after all). But you guys need to get over Noonan. Nice attacking attitude, which is sorely lacking in MLS at times, but SO not ready for the WC.

If Ralston and Noonan go, god help us. Can you realistically see Ralston out there against Italy? Jesus... :(

Twellman might make it--he should get a few chances to feature in these upcoming friendlies with McBride already clinching a spot, Conor Casey and Ching fading, and EJ (for the moment) working back from injury.

20. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why BOTH of course :D

I agree about Ralston's play, it has been lacking as of late....

As for Noonan, the jury is still out! I think he'll get a couple caps in the next couple months....He will have to be unbelievable to make the squad...

I think Dempsey and Twellman will both be on the squad....Dempseys size and versatility in midfield makes him a lock in my opinion....Twellman will proove his scoring ability in the next few months...He's far better than Chingy...I want Taylor's hustle coming off the bench in Germany....He will score a goal in WC play...guaranteed :D

JMO

21. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I suspect dempsey will get his share in midfield in the usa based friendlies again..

and with reyna out for a while, dempsey against poland will be another chance to sink or swim...

it'll all be in his hands...

if he gets invited back for the march 22 match in germany, then I'd say dempsey better make sure his passport is good for june.

22. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here we go again. Why was what you said true? Because Nicol & Arena are both not using him in his best position (DM). He was lighting it up when playing in that position. Trying to use him as an AM or forward is simply not working and people are knocking him over coaching mistakes. Using him out of position is like trying to force a square peg into a round hole. It will work but you have to pound like crazy and in the end, you don't get a good result.

23. Gints86

Gints86 Thanks Mchead

Nov 15, 2005
    Rochester, NY

I agree but players do age differently. I think we were spoiled w/Donovan and Beasley playing so well at 19-20 and have come to expect the same from everyone else. Even if a player shows at 26 he still has possibly 6-7 strong years left in him. Some guys like Cobi, Reyna, Mcbride seem to have gotten better with age and experience. 32,33+ has helped these guys not hurt them. Give Clint some time, he has the drive and is not afraid to run at people. He needs to learn to relax a little and make decisions a step or two earlier. All in all the kid should be fine.

24. rolfefan1717

rolfefan1717 New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Dayton Ohio
    I wouldn't call it hating. i saw the guy play 3 or 4 times for new england and honestly just wasn't all that impressed. maybe he was a bit overhyped but that's no fault of mine. Dempsey needs to learn to play more of a meat and potatos style of football in order to improve at the international level. a player of dempsey's skill level may be able to get away with cute tricks on the ball in the MLS, but at the international level guys do one of two things: A. Wack the ******** out of you, or B. simple steal the rock in the words of a "Rapper." (the guy's raps are about as cool as a microwave by the way.)

25. Karras

Karras New Member

Oct 26, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    I don't know about "skill" but has anyone else seen his ball juggling abilities? I don't know how relevant it is, but seriously, has anyone else seen it besides me? Outta sight.