Why all the Dempsey-hating??

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dammit!, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    I've noticed that there's not much love out there for Mr. Dempsey as of late around here.

Why's that?

I haven't followed too closely but he seems to be improving and has good size...something we are missing in the midfield.

Be honest, is it the rapping?

[​IMG]

"Yoh Homies. Why ya'all be hating on a **********?"

2. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to BigSoccer.

Step 1: Build up player
    Step 2: Tear down player.
    Step 3: Suggest unknown and unseen player who is AMAZING.

Flush and repeat.

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well put. In this respect, BigSoccer = the media. No surprise there. The media give us what we ask for. And what we ask for is the neverending cycle of boo the starting QB, cheer for the backup, applaud wildly when the starter is yanked, become suspicious of the new starting QB, boo the starting QB, cheer for the ...

4. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this may be your problem.

And no reputable posters are "Dempsey-hating." Its just that he has not played well wearing a US kit and his performances for his club were far less impressive over the second half of the season than the first. In short, he appeared to regress rather than improve. Hopefully, this is just a small step back in order to take a big leap forward but we shall see. I, for one, am rooting for him but he has a lot of work to do.

5. turbostevo

turbostevo New Member

Jun 5, 2001
    dallas
    ha! that's funny (and true).

6. plorish

plorish Member

Dec 12, 2005
    I think Chad has it right. The more I read on these boards, the more I think that the US would win the world cup if (and only if) it sent its U-17s out against the Czechs.

I think Clint is a very good player who is yet to peak. As a Furman grad, I would love to think that he and Ricardo Clark could coexist in the middle of the field for WC2010 and think it could happen. It seems that Bruce's comments on Clint indicate that he has a lot of "maturing" to do before he is ready for the international stage, but it is only a matter of time.

7. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [​IMG]

His ears are just too goddamn big. Give me a middie with appropriately sized ears, I say.

8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that nugget. I think you have effectively summed up the bigsoccer experience. With that being said, NBlue is probably still right. I wouldn't call the general sentiment on Dempsey as hating. But people built him up so fast, that there is now a "market correction" going on concerning expectations concerning him.

9. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    I'm certain his face will grow into his ears. With "maturing" of course.

He may be sucking in international play, but he was the only spark the Revs had in the MLS final.

Fo shizzle!

10. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't really matter...

Because apparently he has a phrase he says when negativity comes his way..... :D

Fear not, Deuce will be in Germany....It's Ralston, Twellman and Noonan I'm worried about...I think in the end two will be there and two will be home...

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yet suprisingly, even though dozens of these newcomers come through the system each year who are light years better than the crap that we had 10 years ago, 30-somethings Brian McBride is still the target forward, Claudio Reyna the anchor midfielder, Eddie Lewis a fixture on the left side, and Eddie Pope a center back. Strange, because I know that I've read about 10 forwards better than McBride over the past few years ...

12. Caulfield

Caulfield Member

May 31, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint looks to me like he is having trouble adjusting to international level speed and it ain't getting better. I like Clint, but his decesion making is too slow against top countries.

I will be a little surprised if he makes the squad this go around.

13. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the negative buzz Dempsey has is because he broke the Golden Rule -- never turn down any opportunity to train, trial or play in Europe. The eurosnobs will never ever forgive him -- next we will be hearing how his ball skills have become abysmal since his trial with Feyenoord last winter.

14. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we all discovered very quickly that his current style of play, which is very direct, isn't quite nuanced enough for the international level. This is something he can develop. He still has two goals in a limited # of caps, which is better than most, so give him credit for that. He has potential, but clearly isn't the second coming as some posters were stating 6 months ago. Remember he's not much younger than Landon, the most vilified, and best, US player there is!!!

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    His ball skills kept going downward as the season went along. He scored 4 goals and was player of the month in April; subsequently he clearly has not been as consistent.

Then again, maybe MLS stats are compiled by the alleged Big Soccer Dempsey haters and he really scored another dozen goals that are being hidden by this conspiracy.

16. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce Arena has had this to say about Dempsey:

“Right now Clint is inexperienced. The game is a little too fast for him right now. Only time will tell if he can adjust to it and figure some things out on his own. I think if he’s challenged more on a daily basis in the league, he will get better. Right now he gets away with a lot of sloppy plays. When he’s pushed to have to be better, hopefully he’ll improve and position himself to be better at the international level.”

I've seen other quotes like this from LD as well. I think, as a number of folks have already pointed out, people got excited about Dempsey early on, and then, as his weaknesses became more appearent, and he did not improve as quickly as some had hoped, people started questioning him.

I think he'll be a USMNT starter at some point in his career, but I think he's not mature enough for Germany right now. Guess we'll see where he is in a few months.

17. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

me too. but I think I'm worried about them being there for much different reasons than you.

and don't be too disappointed when only Ralston makes it and then gets severly outplayed.

:)

18. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    His Nats performances haven't been good and this is the National Team forum.

I've just watched the first 6 weeks of Revs highlights from the beginning of
    the season when Dempsey was at his most dominant and I must say I came
    away less impressed with the technique displayed on his goals and assists
    as well as the attempts.

Oddly enough I came away more impressed with Twellman.

19. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Mark my words. Twellman is going to be very, very good internationally, but he will not necessarily have a long international career.

20. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    I don't see him getting many more games.

21. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    willing to bet $20 bucks on it, do you have paypal?

22. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    The only thing i dont like about Dempsey is his lack of a natural position. Some have already said it.. "Jack of all trades, master of none".

Hes a good player, but when he matures fully, and works on his finishing, he will be appreciated a lot more.

23. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we just recycle all of our old Bobby Convey threads, sub in Clint's name and be done with it?

:D

24. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    Two words: playa haters.

They're hatin' on him cause they can't stand to see him on top.

25. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    What is he on top of?