Why a Spurs Fan?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Footie4ever, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Coming from the south? Victoria line into Seven Sisters or Tottenham Hale.. sadly that line also goes to Highbury & Islington.

2. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Would it be fair to say most Spurs and Arse supporters don't live in north london anymore?

At the macro level seems like a good year for london football in general -- The O's might go up, Brentfords run, Crystal Palace promo playoff, Spurs in 4th, Arse in 5th, Chelsea doing the league double, west ham with an excellent chance at europe, woking hitting the heady heights of mid-table conference...

Of all those clubs Spurs are the best club to support, come on you spurs!

3. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Arsenal, the club, admit that 95% of their fans don't live within Islington anymore.

I would say that areas such as Hertfordshire, Essex, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Surrey and Sussex all have major numbers of Spurs fans in but North London still has a lot too. It's probably 50:50 in terms of those who live outside but still close and those who do live in North London.

Also loads across the world, and in different parts of the UK.

4. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Hhahahahaha

5. Joe E

Joe E New Member

May 9, 2003
    london
    no i don't think so. i grew up in muswell hill and highgate, both in haringey which is tottenham's home borough, though i now live in islington about 200 metres round the corner from the death grove. but the majority of friends i went to school with supported one of the two, and many now go regularly. of course, essex, herts, home counties provide a lot of the fans but that is not a new thing.
    what is true to say is that virtually none live in tottenham itself anymore. a very small minority. the unfortunate truth is that most people who live in tottenham can't afford to go.
    as to choosing one of the two...pretty arbitrary. usuually a dad or big brother is the deciding factor. i was the latter.

6. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    is it like slough?? cause i heard that place is a dump...

or is north london where all the chavs are?

7. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Theres loads of chavs around the Tottenham area, hanging around at off licence's and bus stops etc...

8. Spur_Forever

Spur_Forever Member

Oct 1, 2005
    DC
    Let's just say that the first time I went to the Bronx in NYC, while everyone else was shaking in their boots, I felt right at home :)

I left the area in the mid-80s and as I remember it wasn't so bad back then. But things went way downhill in the 90s with businesses closing down and the Council basically doing nothing to improve the area. Having said so much, I was back in Tottenham (for the first time in years) about a month ago, and things looked like they had stabilized and some places were even getting a little better. I was definitely expecting further deterioration but was pleasantly surprised.

9. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    You know...not sounding to terribly nice...but I can take the Tube there so that works....

;)

10. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Isn't West Ham-Millwall considered a big (and sometimes violent) derby?

11. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    More like Chelsea-Millwall although if you where talking about violence you could just say Millwall against whoever they were playing that day, their is bound to be trouble.

I would say that although Arsenal and Chelsea are our two biggest rivals, the most trouble at Tottenham comes when we play West Ham.

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll let my Catholic mom know this. :D

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I'm one of those Americans who supported well before that. I was even supporting Spurs before Klinsman (not that that's all that long...)

14. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

You know, I haven't seen many chavs around there. Lots of afro-caribbean and turks though. People playing gangsters.
    Once people from an ethnic background moved in, the white English population moved out to Essex, Herts, Enfield, which is why so many Spurs fans are from 'round that way. Sounds harsh, but that is what happens almost everywhere.

I work in a worse area...East London.

15. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    reminds me of football factory......

just wondering.. are rivalries that intense like in the movie?? or was the movie hollywoodicized??

16. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    West Ham/Millwall is a rivalry dating back a long way.

West Ham used to be an Ironworks factory team, hence 'The Hammers'. Millwall was a team formed by dock workers, ie unskilled incomparison to West Ham and therefore poorer.

The rivalry came from jealousy and being in the same area.

Also, in recent years there have been a number of terrace/stadium incidents and one Millwall fan was rolled infront of an oncoming train by a group of West Ham supporters. I don't know when that was, but not longer than 25yrs ago.

17. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    With the internet nowadays it is easier to 'organize' a fight, a couple of years ago two teams you wouldn't have thought of but Charlton and Southampton supporters arranged to 'meet' at a train station by the internet. It was caught on CCTV, so alot of them got found out.

Millwall have a new scheme where only members can buy tickets for their games, the people caught up in past violence got given about a 2 year ban or something like that and were not allowed to become a member during that time, my cousin was one of them, i think his ban has been completed but he doesn't go anymore, why would he they are sh1t now.

18. OrlandoSPUR

OrlandoSPUR **** the Nomads

Apr 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    ...I lived in Tottenham for 3 blissful years, in fact I lived behind Seven Sisters on Hermitage Road which basically ran parrallel (or however you spell that damn word) and the Road which goes to Finsbury Park. Before that I lived on Campus in Tottenahm. I agree with others most the ethnicity in the Tottenham area are turkish or Jamaican or African, and if people are white they can be a bit chavy....or dirty college kids Only once did I get into any kind of trouble in the area and I had no problems walking around late at night. most people are there because they can't afford to live anywhere else, and try their best to get on with it. of course with any area you have the scumbags who look to prey on others, thats life.....I thought Edmonton, was a crappier place than Tottenham, same with Bruce Grove and actual Seven Sisters, and you would not catch me walking around Wood Green late at night, it just seemed dodgy. But round the stadium and up WHL are not bad at all.

Before I went to college I'd take the train from Ipswich to Liverpool St, most Spurs fans would get on in Colchester and take the Overline to WHL Station, through hackney and Stoke Newington and other lovely places. On a match day its packed with Spurs and some away fans :D but at night on a non match day, it can be sketchy.

Why be a Spurs fan? because we have heart, we're loyal, just look at how many go to away games even when we're shit!! And if you were lucky enough to stand in the Paxton lower in those days there was nothing like surging!!!YIDDO's

19. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    Sold!:)

20. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Where abouts? Hackney, Ilford, Stratford, Barking? if so you must work with loads of hammers fans.

The area of London i was from wasn't to bad but then again it wasn't too great either.

21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all of this talk about getting to the Stadium, I'm trying to remember...All I know is that Ars*nal were away to B'ham or Southampton or somebody...

I was speding a term in Oxford and took the bus down for the game. It was great to see nearly the entire bus packed with Spurs supporters. Got to London, had a pint, and a bite to eat, and went off to the match. It was such a different experience - even from WC94 (I lived about 5 miles and worked about 5 miles from the Rose Bowl). I got there and it was exciting. This was back in 1996, and we were mid-table at the time. Saw a drab 1-1 draw with 'boro, but it was fun. Even saw a bit of ruckus after the match.

I was drawn in around 1992. I had just graduated from high school and played at the park with a few good and right and true Northern Londoners.

22. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    I'm just a big fat glory hunter, been cheering on the yids since they won the FA cup in 1901. I actually lived in Greenland at the time so should've supported the Greenland Wanderers.

23. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    :D...

24. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to interrupt, but quick question. Is there anything at the stadium.. ie tour about, take some pictures, etc? That one can do if you go in that area?

25. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    They have stadium tours but you have to book. There's the spurs shop as well, and you could always play 'run from thieves' on the Tottenham High Road.