Why a Spurs Fan?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Footie4ever, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    So, why a Spurs fan vs. Arsenal, Chelsea, Charlton, and Fulham? What makes them special? Is it b/c you live in that part of London?

2. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Tottenham vs Arsenal is the main derby because both clubs are based in North London and fans share the same areas of support, fans grow up and work together etc... and to a certain extent with the other London Clubs. Tottenham and Arsenal have been the most sucsessful London Clubs also.

Chelsea - It's big but it plays 2nd fiddle with Arsenal.

I couldn't give a toss about the other London Clubs.

3. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    Yeah, Fulham seems to have more US fans...why?

Also, everyone hates Charlton, yes?

4. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fulham have a couple of american players in their squad, hence the US fans.

5. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mabey because they have some American players playing for them, watch Readings support from the US grow in the next couple of years.
    Errrr....no most people couldn't give a toss about Charlton, same goes with Fulham.

6. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    I don't think Charlton are hated at all, Charlton are seen as a good family club.

I think we are the most hated in London, if Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham supporters said who they hate most i think Tottenham would be top of most of their lists.

7. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Chelski would be top to be honest. Although we'd be a respectable 2nd :D

8. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    Yeah, but isn't Reading hated as well? or is that Leeds? Sorry, catching up on all of the history.

9. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Chelsea wouldn;t, they're more focused on Liverpool and United. I've read some of there message boards and most don't hate us, some even have us as they're 2nd team :eek:

Arsenal do for obvious reasons and West Ham do because they need to find a rival but can't get one :D

10. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Leeds are hated as they have some right evil scum in their fans, also they had quite an irritating team a few years back, Bowyer and a few other toe rags.

11. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    Yeah, but on the "most hated" thread...Charlton is on most lists...which suprised me. It's strange that when i started watching this season...I thought my fav would be Chelsea, but don't like them at all for some reason...maybe it's because they are on top...or the money...etc....
    Watching the Spurs right now...

12. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    thats why i started supporting spurs in the first place.

13. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    Leeds has already been explained, but I've never heard of anyone really hating Reading. Don't know why they would - they've never been in the top league (until next season), don't seem to have any obnoxious players or fans, etc. What about Millwall - I'd think they'd be on someone's most hated list - even though their play has been crap recently their fans and some players have some serious issues....

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    dunno what the charlton-hating would be about. friendly, harmless club that might well be the most well-liked in england - assuming the question is "who's your second-favorite club".

as to why we support spurs, well, we're God's chosen.

15. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    I don't hate Charlton, they are kinda like a buzzing fly that won't go away. But you know it'll die soon so you don't squash it :D

I support Spurs because i'm intelligent and classy. No, wait, the reason is that my Dad's family are from Tottenham and i lived in Hertfordshire from birth until 2 years ago.

I do utterly detest Arsenal, more so today than i did yesterday. I started a new book yesterday and there's a whole chapter about how they got the Ashburton Grove site and it disgusted me. Despicable.

16. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Because I love pain.

17. MrTea

MrTea New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Seven Sisters,London
    I live in that part of london.

18. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Because all other teams are dogshite.

19. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    Well, okay. :D

Ha, I love it. Have to be a Spurs fan now! Don't know if I have been to White Heart Lane before (area)...(spent time in London) but will definately see if I can snag some tickets for next season...

What is a "hotspur" exactly anyway? Odd looking bird.

20. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    Chris, AKA Jumhed has it spot on. Honestly. Other teams are rhubarb (especially the nomads, wet spam and chelsum).

It's Hart, btw. No idea why it's spelt like that though. Hotspur comes from the Shakespeare character Harry Hotspur. He was in turn based, at least partly, on Sir Henry Percy who was a member of the Northumberland family. They owned a lot of land including Tottenham.

There's a history thread that should give you an overview if you fancy having a look round.

The bird sitting on the basketball is a cockerel. The fighting bird. So nyah! :D It also contains the word "cock". Win win.

21. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    There's a pub near where i used to live called 'The White Hart' and the badge was a stag. That was the symbol for the town, and also my school. There was a huge copper statue in the town centre.

So, a white hart may well be a big white stag.

22. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    Ba-zing! Nicely done, mon frere.

The land on which the Lane was built was owned by the Landlord of a White Hart Lane pub as well.

We settled that economically.

23. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    University of So. Carolina is the "Gamecocks"....caps say, "Go Cocks". You might like that. :)

24. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    Thank goodness there isn't a team nicknamed the Arse over there too. :D

Come On You Spurs!

25. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I'm sure pidge will.