Who's the Boss? Gale Agbossoumonde at Djurgården

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Ed-D, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Especially when you are struggling on the field. A number of posters have talked about how getting up late is just a typical teenager issue, and it is but...Gale does not have typical teenager goals. He is trying to be an elite prospect in a highly competitive field, competing against adults who make their living doing this. Typical teenager problems don't cut at this level. You don't find "typical teenagers" making it as elite professionals. Gale was not able to differentiate himself in this regard.

I have said it before, there is nothing "wrong" with Gale as a person. People are trying to portray him as some kind of head case. He isn't. Quite honestly, he seems like a nice kid to me. He just isn't an elite prospect at this point in time. He has some wonderful technical and physical qualities, but he has some other qualities that are not nearly as far along, and those are going to hold him back. I still think that he will learn to thrive at a decent level of the game, but he is not the blockbuster talent that some thought when they first heard of him or saw him play. I wish him luck and I know that he will land on his feet eventually, but when you build a kid up to be the next big thing, they usually end up getting torn apart when people find out that they aren't what they thought they were.

Gale is getting some of that now.

2. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't see how that is excluded from what I posted.

3. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know what traffic's asking price is at this point? Or what Boss was making in base salary at Djurgården?

4. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly is traffic again? I'd like some backround on it, is it like an agency? Would love some help on them lol

5. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a Brazilian company set up to acquire players and then sell them on for profit. It's not really an agency and it certainly isn't a club.

6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is how I understand it:

Traffic is a "player management company." You sign with them (you being a young America, Brazilian, or other South American player) and get a (pretty high) salary. In exchange they own your "rights" as a player. They will then try to get you some trials or loans to increase your visibility (and value) and hope to sell you for a big fee, or a big sell-on clause, to recoup the salary they paid you and make a profit.

Basically their goal is similar to the Tevez situation, get a player on loan with a lower-profile team, increase their value, and then sell to a bigger team, or sell to the loaning team with a sell-on clause to make back their money later.

In addition, they own several teams, where they stick their players to train if they can't find any takers for them. They own a team in Brazil, I think, whatever Miami FC is called now, and Estoril-Praia in the Portuguese 2nd division.

7. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is their website which details the various businesses

8. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Probably a few hundred grand at best.

They were hoping for a lot more.

I reckon the same he has been making over the last 2 1/2 years.

10. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Agbossoumonde might be staying in Sweden after all. UNT newspaper write that they have received information that Gale is being chased by Superettan (second tier) club Assyriska. Doesn't say anything about whether or not this would be a permanent signing or a loan.

11. KennyWoo

KennyWoo Member

May 21, 2007
    Pasadena, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Traffic is basically a pinhooker for human beings.

12. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    We can showcase the player, when he fits we move him. We know we are a developmental league, the MLS is not and they don’t want to be.”

Can't say that I agree with this or his comments about PT for players in MLS. maybe a few years ago but the tide is turning ion this type of rheteric. I do like his view on developing players in south america, but I don't recall Gale spending time down there learning how to play??

13. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the positives to Traffic?

14. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I guess for a player you get paid bi-weekly no matter what whether you are signed to a club or going on a bunch of trials. Any other player would only be getting paid if they had signed a pro contract. I'm pretty sure Traffic pays for everything during the trial as well. Some clubs will pay for accommodation but not always so I'm sure that helps the player from a financial stand point. I'm sure money talks for the teenagers.

15. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    Traffic is not devoid of connections. I'm not sure an 18 year-old central defender gets a shot at six months with Braga on his own.

16. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Aftonbladet just wrote that Gale is heading to FC Köln. They report that it's a six month contract but I'm assuming it's a loan similar to the one he had at Djurgården?

1 person likes this.
  17. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like every other Gale move I wouldn't mind him sticking

18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll say.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That'll work...................

20. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I'm guessing he'll play with the U23's but who knows. At least Traffic or Traffic USA are branching out of South America.

21. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    From struggling at the bottom of the Swedish Allsvenskan, to a contract with Koln and possibly playing alongside Podolski..wow.

As Arsenal08 said, likely with the U-23s, but either way, its a very good environment for him to be in. I like the move.

22. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Unbelievable, he makes it sound like they want him for the first team. Would be a major step up and one that is pretty unwarranted based on recent performances.

24. bumbletucky

bumbletucky Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Really? His physical gifts and "potential" must be better than I thought. From what I read, he was poor in Sweden.

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprised the hell outta me with this news. Kinda shocked. On one hand I can't ignore his Swedish adventure but the other hand I can see where his "potential" can attrack interest. Koln is a big step up and hopefully they gradually work him into the system. Maybe a start with the U-23's isn't such a bad idea. He's going to surounded by better players so he has no reason not to step up his game.