Who's Talking to Connally?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Wacko4Burn, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Wacko4Burn

Wacko4Burn New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Waco, TX
    Who's been talking to Connally at ESPN?

Quote from recent column, re: assessment of teams' biggest offseason questions:

Dallas Burn - "Will last year's first-round draft picks see time or continue to rot on the bench?"

Sounds familiar... just haven't seen it in major media print.

Also puts EJ second in list of players with stock rising.

Interesting list of possible players coming to MLS, but nothing really earthshattering.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=317653&cc=5901

Discuss.

2. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they earn the playing time, certainly.

In regards to the first round picks of last year, we will see Goodson. Barring an acqusition of a good central defender, Goodson will play quite often as Gibbs is on USMNT duty. With Matt gone, FCD needs another central defender.

Nunez will have to show maturity and learn the tactics CC wants to use. If he accomplishes both, he will see plenty of time and a few starts. Nunez is a short term answer on the left if niether Davis nor Quill finds their feet. Of course, FCD might use an allocation to take care of that. Nunez's biggest obsticle is that Oscar is still palying well, and never looked tired. FCD has plenty of options in the middle.

But few in the back. I would take Suarez back in a second, if he could be convinced that he was in the center and that he started the season behind Gibbs and Jolley. Give him a chance to win Jolley's spot, and I think he might. Of course, then Jolley would want out, and FCD will be in the same position of trying to find and groom another central defender.

Cheers!
    Sir Drinxalot

3. mudpoet

mudpoet Member

May 16, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To put it like Nick would:

Steve McManaman to MLS: that makes my 'City weenie go crazy

4. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    If Macca comes to MLS, doesn't that sort of go against the, "We don't want past-their-prime Euro stars in MLS" idea of the league? And I could be wrong but I can't see how he's the answer to any of the league's "problems." Who's going to come out to see Steve McManaman? Only the hard-core fans - and they may only come out to see him once!

Having said that, he would likely be a vast improvement over what FCD will put in the middle...

5. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Mudpoet. :D

6. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well consider the position that Suarez is in, he wouldn't be able to crack the staring 11 under Sampson if he stayed with the Gals. And I'm not too certain if he would do well if he would go to Chivas USA since Rongen would prefer wing midfielders and not overlapping fullbacks. So I would not be surprise if he would come back to Dallas. He could cover Talley's, Gibbs' or Jolley's position.

After reading Connally's article I had these two in my mind:

Ivan Guerrero - This 26-year-old Honduran international is attractive to a few MLS clubs since he is a left-sided player who can play both in the back and as a midfielder. He played against the U.S. back in March of 2001 in the World Cup qualifying match where Clint Mathis hit a free kick late to give the Yanks a 2-1 victory in San Pedro Sula. Guerrero is currently with Penarol in Uruguay, and has also spent some time with Coventry City in England.

Julio Medina - An intriguing midfielder from Panama who U.S. fans got a few looks at during World Cup qualifying this past fall. Medina plays for Arabe Unido in Panama, and might make an interesting pick-up for Chivas USA or F.C. Dallas. Both teams are in need of creative players who can change a game.

7. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    Guerrero would be the ideal solution for our left side...

We would have the starting left mid and a starting defender
    from the Honduran National team who would obviously quickly
    form understanding.

-bs

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked great in the first US - Panama game but I didn't notice him much in the second. Is he consistantly good? What about defensively? No need to bring in a left wing with mad skills who would sit next to Ramon because he isn't a defensive power.

9. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If stevie comes to MLS, then I will have to wear my United shirt in that match. If he can't hack at citeh, then we won't hack it here.

10. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    we could break out the "are you city in disguise" chants. it would be subtle humor.

11. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Are you ReAL in disguise" chants would be much better.

12. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I concur.

13. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime