Who's not coming back ( A-league 2004)?

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by panicfc, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Sevin

Sevin Member

May 24, 2001
    U.S.
    I agree that a roof would be great but here in the south not one of the SEC football stadiums has a roof and they sell out every seat every week. Maybe we're to dumb to know when it's raining! So, knock off a few thousand and let's get started.

2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we could drop the roof, we still need locker rooms, concession stands, bathrooms, pressbox, seats behind the goals, and some fencing.

I think $3 Million and I can make it look pretty, efficient, and have all you need.

3. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

The reason it doesn't happen is that those teams who play in the lower divisions do so so they don't have to incur the costs that playing in the A-League incurs.

Also El Paso hasn't been exactly a terrible team on the pitch the last few years, and Cinci was battling for a playoff position this season before players started leaving because they weren't getting paid, so it's not as if you can say those teams quality wise on the pitch were weak (as you insinuate in you watering down analogy).

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What costs are you speaking about? Salaries? Travel?

Look at those teams over the past few years. El Paso hasn't been awful, but they haven't been great either. They are consistenly in the lower half of the league.

Cinci - was only a matter of time. How is their record the past three seasons. Start off good, fall apart around mid-season.

Would the Western Mass pioneers do any worse? Long Island Rough Riders?

5. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Northeast
    Rochester
    Montreal*
    Toronto*
    Syracuse
    (Hamilton*)
    (Ottawa*)

Southeast
    Charleston
    Atlanta
    Virginia Beach
    Richmond
    (Orlando)

Central
    Milwaukee
    Minnesota

Northwest (West)
    Seattle
    Vancouver*
    Edmonton*
    Calgary*
    Portland
    (Utah)
    (El Paso)

* Canadian clubs

I threw in Orlando for no real reason. Does anyone see a way they can work the alignment w/o having Milwaukee and Minnesota in the West?

6. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Wasn't there some talk awhile ago about an A-League team restarting in San Diego?

Is that gone now because of the Chivas-USA thing for the MLS? (Which for the record I think is the absolute worst idea MLS has come up with in awhile).

7. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Well if you take those possible Canadian expansion teams in Hamilton and Ottawa and place them in the Central division (they are new they have no rivalries created yet) and keep El Paso in the Central division (why move them back to the pacific?) then you have a 5 team Central division.

Works for me (even though I think Ottawa's owner is a dork).

8. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    I can see the point you are making, but its difficult to see Hamilton not going into the same division as Toronto and Rochester. With the new toll 407 highway built, you can get from Toronto to Hamilton in about a half an hour (especially if you are departing from the west side of Toronto, and the Lynx play at the western edge of the city) and Hamilton is closer to Rochester than Toronto is (to get from Toronto to Rochester by automobile you have to pass Hamilton along the way).

9. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Well it's not unprecedented. Minnesota's expansion hockey team is in the NHL's northwest division.

10. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Well the Wild travel budget is probably greater than the total worth of the Thunder themselves. But point taken. What if Minnesota and Milwuakee joined the Northeast Division?

And Finnegan (excellent screen name), A-frickin'-men. The whole concept stinks of NFL Europe.

11. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

True, but I was thinking more along the lines of the expansion teams working with what they are given until chances for better re-alignment. It's not as if they wouldn't be playing a few games against their close rivals anyway.

12. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Yeah, that's true. Is the stadium in Des Moines looking like a no-go? Snake Eyes?

13. chuwy2000

chuwy2000 Member

Jun 17, 2000
    El Paso Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It has been brought to my attention at another discussion board that rumor has it that the El Paso Patriots are apparently looking into moving to another city.

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would Cervantes still own it?

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to clarify this, Ajax is planning a A-League team for Orlando in 2005. So no A-League in Orlando in 2004.

16. chuwy2000

chuwy2000 Member

Jun 17, 2000
    El Paso Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't know bro. This is the first time I hear anything about this. With work and school consuming most of my time as of late, I have been out of the loop as far as knowing whats up with the Pat's.

In all honesty I don't know who would want the Pat's. Also, Cervantes seems to be to hard headed and proud to give up the Pat's. (Unless his pocketbook has taken a huge hit.)

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he'll sell the franchise rights, but I doubt Cervantes will move the team way from El Paso.

Maybe Edmonton is negotiating the purchase or the newly rumored Ft Lauderdale team.

18. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Northeast
    Rochester
    Montreal*
    Toronto*
    Syracuse
    (Hamilton*)
    (Ottawa*)

Southeast
    Charleston
    Atlanta
    Virginia Beach
    Richmond
    (Ft. Lauderdale)

Central
    Milwaukee
    Minnesota

Northwest (West)
    Seattle
    Vancouver*
    Edmonton*
    Calgary*
    Portland
    (Utah)
    (El Paso)

* Canadian clubs

19. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    14-15 clubs? Just make it a balanced schedule.

20. ROAVA

ROAVA New Member

Nov 9, 2000
    this is just sad

The Riverhawks would like to thank all their fans for their support this year!

Riverhawks Management Letter to the Fans

Hello Cincinnati Soccer Fans,

We wanted to take the chance to let you know what has been happening with your Cincinnati Riverhawks, and what our plans for the future are.

First, we would like to apologize for not getting our website updated. We have run into some bad timing. Jim Peto, Riverhawks General Manager is out of town due to personal issues, Jenny McDonald, Riverhawks Director of Operations is out on maternity leave, and Richard Elvin, Riverhawks Director of Special Events / PR Contact has been away on his honeymoon. We are working to keep the website as up to date as we can, and appreciate your patience.

The fundraiser that was announced on 8/19 is another topic we would like to discuss. This past year the Riverhawks suffered from a poor venue. While we tried to get the league to let us play at Mason High School, or Lakota High School, both excellent facilities and close to our fans, the league insisted we play at the Town & Country Sports Complex in Wilder Kentucky. Due to the location and the facilities, game attendance suffered, even when the Riverhawks were at the top of their division, and as a result the team has suffered serious financial losses. In order to keep the team a viable entity for the next season, we need your help. The obvious question regarding the fundraiser is how will the money be spent?

First and foremost, we need to take care of this year's players and staff. As some of you are aware the financial issues with this season have been a hardship for the players and staff, many of whom have stuck with the team out of loyalty to the organization. We appreciate their loyalty, support and efforts this season and will ensure they are paid in full out of the proceeds of the fundraiser.

Once the players and staff are paid, we will be concentrating on the following areas:

Players and staff salaries for the 2004 season.
    Debt service
    A-League fees
    Travel expenses for away games
    Moving the Riverhawks home field to a larger, more centrally located facility
    Expanding the team's marketing program
    Miscellaneous expenses (uniforms, supplies, etc.)
    Any remaining funds will be placed in a rainy day fund for any emergency expenses.

The money raised will not only ensure the Riverhawks have the funds to continue to provide professional soccer in Cincinnati, but will also allow the team to become self-sustaining through the following improvements:

Larger venue and expanded marketing will allow for additional revenue through ticket sales, parking fees, concessions and merchandise.
    Reducing the team's debt will reduce costs and make the team more attractive to sponsors and investors.
    Additional funding will allow the Riverhawks to hire and retain the best players possible, keeping the games exciting and keeping the team in the hunt for the playoffs and league championship.
    There have been some questions regarding the sale of the team. The team has been and will remain for sale for the right offer. Recently there was an offer tendered through the league, but it would have resulted in no money to pay the players, and the dissolution of the Riverhawks franchise. In other words, there would be no professional soccer in Cincinnati for the next several years.

Any serious offers for the team will be considered. If you have an interest in purchasing, investing in or sponsoring the team, please contact the office - we would be very happy to speak to you.

Serious fans will be happy to hear that we are already in negotiations with two stadiums in Northeast Cincinnati in response to your feedback on the present venue.

How can you help? First, come see the Riverhawks in action in their last two home games. They are a group of hardworking soccer professionals and deserve your support. Get an autograph or two - you may see some of these guys playing in MLS one day.

Participate in the fundraiser. The best way to keep professional soccer in Cincinnati is to help us meet our fundraising goals. Any suggestions you have on how to we can reach our goal would also be appreciated.
    Thanks very much for your continued support, and for helping keep professional soccer in Cincinnati!

Sincerely,

The Cincinnati Riverhawks Management

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blackmailing BS.

Hope that teams dies and a new one rises out of the ashes.

22. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Cinncinati Phoenix:D

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Cincinnati Ashes

or if they keep the current owner

Cinci Asses.

:D

24. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

How about the Cincinatti WKRP Arthur Carlsons?

RIP Gordon Jump 1932-2003.

25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    ". . .God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Cincinnatti Turkeys?