Who's not coming back ( A-league 2004)?

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by panicfc, Sep 16, 2003.

1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we are pretty sure Cincinnati is out. Charlotte, Pittsburgh and Indiana are dropping down, and you have to wonder about El Paso.

Any chance of Utah moving up?

I think we have Edmonton coming in, any others?

2. meertang

meertang New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA
    Jeez, the A-League is losing 3 for sure and maybe as much as 5?!?! Looks like they need Harrisburg in the league now more than ever!! I know, I'm shameless.

3. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    IN (14)
    Rochester
    Montreal
    Toronto
    Charleston
    Milwaukee
    Minnesota
    Seattle
    Vancouver
    Edmonton
    Calgary
    Portland
    Virginia Beach
    Richmond
    Syracuse

BUBBLE (2)
    El Paso
    Atlanta

POSSIBLE NEW/PROMOTED (3?)
    Utah
    Hamilton
    Ottawa

OUT (1)
    Cincinnatti

DEMOTED (3)
    Pittsburgh
    Indiana
    Charlotte

Is that about right? Am I forgetting anyone or some important piece of info?

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you've just about got it.

Milwaukee and Minnesota are going to have some massive travel costs now. Could one of them join the bubble teams?

5. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Maybe they can convince someone else in the region to seek a team...

Just off the top of my head, an Aurora or Naperville might be interested in having a team after the Fire leave. They even are building a new complex in Lisle that might be used for such a team (though it won't be ready for a year).

I was at the Ft. Wayne PDL team's stadium Sunday. It's very nice for a PDL team, and I could see with a few additions an A-League team fitting (plus great turnout for a midlevel college game on a rainy day).

Madison has a small stadium. Rockford used to have a team. Then there is Des Moines. I know the Bucks have talked about moving to Detroit and maybe the A-League.

I'm just throwing stuff against the wall really.

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can imagine the conversation.

USL: Hey rich guy
    Rich GUY: yes

USL: how would you like to join our league?
    RG: Tell me about it

USL: Well 5 teams dropped out and we only have two teams in your region, so travel costs will be huge and you'll probably lose money, but you'll be helping us out.

RG: Sure, I'm in.

---
    Convincing someone to invest in soccer is akin to grand theft at this point.

7. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Heh. well, like I said...it's just an idea.

Plus, in the case of the Chicago western burbs, someone's tastes might be up after the Naperville exile.

Yeah, sure it's a shot in the dark, but I would think Milwaukee and Minnesota may be working overtime to coax regional intrest via promotion or new teams if not for next season then 2005...at least Milwaukee has the indoor team than can help with its travel costs.

8. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to come down hard on your idea

I think you are right about Milwaukee and Minn. Maybe they can get some MISL or NPSL teams or whatever league the Wave are in to jump in.

9. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Calgary more of a bubble team. They supposidly have a couple of interested parties in taking over the team. But nothing firm that I have heard.

10. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    You don't go in looking all naked when selling this.

It's more like "we're getting Des Moines to move up, and you can join them". That's probably not far from the truth in this case, really.

Still doesn't mean you get many takers. After all, the reason the A-League ended up with Nick Ranieri in the first place is because the USL is hardly in a position of power to get better investors.

Calgary is on the bubble until someone actually signs a sheet taking over ownership. I'm probably aggravated about this for no good reason, as I seem to be relying on the fans at USLD who keep saying that something will be announced, usually in two weeks, working hard to imitate the well-worn Metrostars "60-90 days" joke. OTOH, Calgary shouldn't cut bait until finding out how a season with Edmonton helps them.

11. sniper

sniper New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    New York, NY
    A-League Teams

Can anyone confirm (press release) that Indiana is self-relegating to the 3rd division? I haven't read this anywhere...

I wouldn't look to Des Moines to move up just yet but how about Wilmington? The PSl (3rd Division) sure looks shaky right now (even with the addition of Charlotte & Pittsburgh).

I haven't read about any new ownership groups bur the midwest sure could use another franchise (or 2) to set the region up and make travel viable.

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "looking all naked" - I like this line.

I'm sure any possible owner would do some due diligence and see what history tells him.

As for Des Moines, when they fired the coach i think that was a way of saying "PDL Here we stay"

13. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: A-League Teams

Saw it on USLdiscussions I thought.
    Wilmington is probably a good bet - maybe Western Mass.

PDL looks like the best option for anyone right now.

14. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    I agree with both of those quotes from you. A year ago I was thinking an A-league mid-west division could very well look like Minnesota, Milwaukee, Des Moines, Omaha and possibly a St. Louis or Memphis in there as well. I'm thinking now that prospective owners are thinking they could just have a PDL team and save on the player salaries and probably still draw the same number of fans per game.

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's the truth as well. I also think some teams will look at the MPSL (Mens premier soccer League) and see if that isn't a better fit for them as well.

16. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I heard that the Wizards might try to join the A-League as soon as 2004, because they have out grown the CPSL. They are also burning quite a few bridges...

However, I read that the Ottawa Fury own the A-League rights for the city of Ottawa. I have no idea if this is actually true or not because I haven't seen any thing written down.

17. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

The Wizards are a joke anyway. The A-League doesn't need 'em.

18. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    :rolleyes:

It is one thing to call the owner a joke (he has made some mistakes), but you shouldn't label an entire organization. You haven't even seen a game, and yet you call the team a joke. Remember, most (if not all) of the players have nothing to do with what happens off the field.

19. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Thats correct. Their owner has everything to do with what happens off field. If the owner is a joke then he taints the whole organization as he heads the operation. Doesn't matter how classy the players are-if the owner is a joke the team isn't going anywhere, and the A-League doesn't need another one of these owners in the league.

I consider an owner who posts on soccer discussion boards attacking peoples opinions (in all capital letters to boot) , one who has his club release press releases that look as if they have been written by someone around 9 years of age (then releases the same press release over and over on the same board) and one who has alienated the rest of the league his team presently plays in a joke. Therefore the team he owns can be considered nothing but a joke.

20. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Atlanta, as far as I know, will be back. They're breaking ground on their new complex this week I think, and there hasn't been any info to indicate otherwise. Hopefully, they'll win more than 4 games next year, and win back some of the crowd that left them for the Beat. At least they won't have to choose between a Beat game at 7 or a 'Backs game at 7:30 on the same night (the WUSA schedule usually came out after the A-League did, and there were several games, especially the Beat's first year, that were "coincidentally" scheduled on the same night, usually kicking off either 30 minutes before, or 30 minutes after the 'Backs were supposed to start. Hmmmmmm....).

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must have missed this guy posting.

22. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He posted over on the Voyageurs board.

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea what that is, but its still funny.

24. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

The Voyageurs is the name of the Canadian national team soccer supporters. You guys have sams army we have Voyageurs.

25. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Krammerhead already explained what the Voyageurs are, but here is a link...

www.canadian-soccer.com