Who's next?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Sport Billy, Jan 15, 2019.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Has there been an approach or are they not at that point yet?

2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    #1377 Sport Billy, Feb 6, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    No idea.

Edit, but I can't imagine they will part with the name after building a new Arena and signing a 10-year naming rights contract with Frontwave. Seems that the Sockers are planning remaining an indoor soccer team for some time.

owian repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sockers FC?
    Sockers -SC?
    Sockers City?
    Sockers United?

Oh no , not again! :)

4. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the best USL games were Austin - SA matches. The cities are very different despite the 'close' proximity. As far as I know, there's almost no Austin FC uptake down that way. There's plenty of space to expand SA's stadium, but the owner is very much NOT an MLS level owner. If some owners ever decided to make the jump, I'm sure that Austin would relish that derby.

5. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People outside of Texas don't realize how different Hou, Atx, Dal, and SA despite being so close. Here in Houston it's all about the Dynamo. No Austin or Dallas soccer fans at all. San Antonio would be huge and great for MLS and Texas. All it takes is for an investor to realize that. SA wouldn't cut into any of the 3 existing MLS teams business or support at all.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  6. l_gregorio

l_gregorio New Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    I thought that the owner of the Spurs owned the USL team?

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will admit that it's possible, as I haven't tracked them closely in a few years. I remember that there was some discussion of the Spurs considering it, but I don't recall if they actually did it.

8. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    They do. Spurs Sports & Entertainment owns the NBA’s San Antonio Spurs, the USL Championship’s San Antonio FC, and the NBA G League’s Austin Spurs.

TrueCrew and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how. I mean, other than flatly disproving your idea that 90 miles is too close to have two MLS teams.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  10. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    No, it doesn’t. Those cities are completely different circumstances

11. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1386 antnee7898, Feb 18, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2023
    This. Although, I believe the Spurs ownership never intended to truly pursue MLS. IDK, maybe I'm totally wrong. When the city bought the stadium and Spurs bought the team, MLS was the idea and a bid to MLS was made,although it was a weak one compared to the others at the time. After that, NOTHING. Never heard anything about city/county votes for stadium or infrastructure. Never heard anything from the Spurs about any progress with the stadium or discussions with the city or MLS. This was before we knew anything about the Austin clause. Then AP and MLS came out wanting to move to ATX and it seemed like SA just gave up all together. Instead of being far along with a bid that would rival the ATX Idea, SA just drug ass and then folded without much of a fight. Now SA fan likes to blame ATX and MLS, I say blame the Spurs ownership. Even now I feel like SA could make a strong case, but we'll never know because I believe the Spurs never wanted MLS to begin with. San Antonio FC, forever 2nd division. idea.

12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you even know what words like "irrelevant" and "completely" mean? Because it sure does not seem like it.

I am gonna put you on ignore now.

13. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Do you understand what words like irrelevant and asinine mean?
    Because your suggestion that because cities with a combined metro populations of over 26 Million people can exist 94 miles apart is completely irrelevant as to whether San Antonio and Austin can co-exist. It is a completely asinine suggestion.

14. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Columbus and Cincy?

Which are almost identical in size to SA & Austin. And identical in distance? What, you just happened to forget about those?

I cannot ignore you because you are a mod, but your posts are so continually inaccurate and intellectually dishonest that any worthwhile discussion is not possible.

And the idea that you are trying to have a legit, honest conversation but are somehow forgetting things that are so obvious is implausible. In short, for you to be an honest fool would require an almost incalculable level of intellectual defeciency.

My conclusion, therefore, is that you are just basically a troll. Though your last post does lend credence to the implausible idiot theory.

In any case, you are not worth talking to. We are finished.

hipityhop repped this.
  15. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Wow. you're a bit unhinged.
    But again, Cincy and Columbus don't have a Houston near by.

I simply stated that "I just can't see San Antonio getting a spot when it is only 80 miles from Austin."
    You replied that there's NY-PHIL and COL-CIN - ok so what. Neither of those are reflective of the situation in AUS-SA.
    I've shown how they are different.

Additionally, Cincinnati got a team because their owner is worth over $2B.
    If SA has someone with $2B, MLS will give them a team regardless of how it affects other teams.

You and I disagree. I get it. It is ok to disagree.
    But your reaction is a bit over the top for an internet disagreement over absolutely nothing.
    Do you really need to be told "You're right" even though you're not?
    Is it that important to you?
    Chill.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Interestingly, looking back to 2015 or even the last 8-10 years for that matter, no one ever dreamed Cincinnati would field an MLS club.

I recall a lot of talk about San Antonio and Sacramento but never Cincy.

Then when the USL club set attendance records, people began to notice.

I mean I’m happy the landed an MLS team but I never imagined it would ever happen in that city.

Eleven Bravo and hipityhop repped this.
  17. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubt all 6 mentioned will join but 5 CA teams, 3 FL teams, makes me wonder why San Antonio can't be a 4th TX team. I think then they his 30-32 we could see some major changes to the conference model to divisions. Probably fewer interconference matchups. Maybe at some point the Supporters Shield is a single playoff between #1s in each conference.

hipityhop repped this.
  19. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 CA teams? Doubtful, unless something monumental changes with Sacramento's ownership/potential MLS Ownership.

IMO, the exponentially rising expansion fee is likely what is preventing San Antonio from seriously entering the expansion conversation. The market, despite what some (one?) on here would lead us to believe can certainly support a MLS team, along with the teams in Dallas, Houston and Austin. Afterall MLS easily supports two teams in NY, a team in Philly and a team in DC which are within 4 hours drive of one another (traffic pending of course).

20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Using the format of the Leagues Cup as a model, and making some adjustments to reconfigure where some teams should be placed, and if we included the USLC and USL1 teams in the discussion, plus some expansion markets (which might be more USL expansion than MLS expansion), this makes the most sense to me…..

WEST
    PNW - Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers, Spokane, Northern Colorado Hailstorm, Boise*, Montana*

SOCAL - LA Galaxy, Los Angeles FC, San Diego Loyal, Orange County SC, Santa Barbara Sky FC, Riverside*

NOCAL - San Jose Earthquakes, Sacramento Republic, Oakland Roots, Monterey Bay FC, Central Valley Fuego FC, San Francisco*

MOUNTAIN - Real Salt Lake, Colorado Rapids, Colorado Springs Switchbacks, Phoenix Rising, Las Vegas Lights, Tucson*

CENTRAL
    MIDEAST - Columbus Crew, FC Cincinnati, Louisville City SC, Lexington SC, Cleveland, West Virginia*

MIDWEST - Saint Louis City SC, Sporting Kansas City, Memphis 901, Iowa, Union Omaha, Little Rock*

PLAINS - Minnesota United, OKC Energy, FC Tulsa, New Mexico United, El Paso Locomotive, Wichita*

GREAT LAKES - Chicago Fire, Indy Eleven, Milwaukee, Detroit City, Forward Madison, Grand Rapids*

SOUTH
    SUN - Orlando City SC, Inter Miami, Tampa Bay Rowdies, Miami FC, South Georgia Tormenta, Jacksonville*

PIEDMONT - Atlanta United, Charlotte FC, Charleston Battery, Greenville Triumph, Charlotte Independence, North Carolina FC

GULF - Houston Dynamo, Nashville SC, Birmingham Legion FC, Chattanooga Red Wolves, One Knoxville, New Orleans*

HEARTLAND - FC Dallas, Auston FC, Fort Worth, San Antonio FC, Rio Grande Valley Toros, Corpus Christi*

NORTH
    NORTHEASTERN - New England Revolution, Philadelphia Union, Pittsburgh Riverhounds, Rhode Island, Hartford Athletic, Rochester*

ATLANTIC - New York City FC, New York Red Bulls, DC United, Queensboro, Richmond Kickers, Baltimore*

CANADA-WEST - Vancouver Whitecaps, Vancouver FC, Pacific FC, Cavalry FC, Valour FC, FC Edmonton*

CANADA-EAST - Toronto FC, CF Montreal, HFX Wanderers, Atletico Ottawa, York United, Forge FC

21. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

Potential competing bid in San Diego.

22. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even close.

The reveal of the ATX/AP/MLS agreement killed things, period. Not sure where you got the "weak" bid bit. Nothing happened BECAUSE of the ATX shenanigans and reveal of the fact that MLS was never taking SA seriously because it couldn't. The deceit and false encouragement to bid in order to drive up interest/value of the next slot destroyed everything.

If you were SSE would you want to do business with an entity that did that to you knowingly and on purpose?

23. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok then, educate me please. What did the Spurs ownership do when they came in 2015, to improve their chances for MLS promotion? Before they knew of the intentions of ATX/AP/MLS, what did they do? San Antonio fan has never answered this for me. There was a time period, before they knew about AP and ATX where they should have been working with the city/county on stadium expansion, infrastructure, etc, etc, but I have never heard anyone from SA say that that was the case. Even today, I believe that SA could make A LOT of noise about getting in MLS, but they do nothing.

Ok, so the Spurs ownership doesn't want to work with MLS after what happened, I get that. But neither do the fans? The fans don't want MLS? It is still possible IMO. If the Spurs secured a plan to expand/upgrade the stadium etc. It would be hard to say no to SA.
    Deep pockets, The Spurs
    Stadium, Toyota Field
    Fan Culture, I think yall got that covered
    Add huge rivals in HOU, ATX, and DAL, sounds like a winning bid to me. Even against Las Vegas.

24. Hoosier388

Hoosier388 New Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I haven't comment on this forum in a few years.

Just seen Charlotte is new to the league in 2023 and bids are up for the 30th team by the end of 2023. It's my understanding that Garber would like to eventually get to 32 to possibly 34 teams.

I played a lot of soccer as a kid and it's great to see the league and the sport exploding in popularity with kids.

It will be interesting to see over the next 5-10 years what cities put in bids for MLS expansion

With the teams that are in the MLS right now.
    EAST
    Atlantic Division
    Atlanta
    Charlotte
    Chicago
    Cincinnati
    Columbus
    D.C. (Washington)
    Miami
    Montreal
    Nashville
    New England
    New York
    New York City
    Orlando
    Philadelphia
    Toronto
    Expansion Team

WEST
    Austin
    Colorado
    Dallas
    Houston
    Kansas City
    LA (G)
    Los Angeles (FC)
    Minnesota
    Portland
    Salt Lake
    San Jose
    Seattle
    St. Louis
    Toronto
    Vancouver
    Expansion Team
    Expansion Team

If the league goes to 34 teams who are the next two cities?
    Here's a list of cities that have all considered or been mentioned for expansion bids over the years. Will any of them rise again with group to put a bid in?

Cleveland
    Detroit
    Indianapolis
    Las Vegas
    Louisville
    New Orleans
    Oklahoma City
    Ottawa
    Phoenix
    Raleigh
    Sacramento
    San Antonio