Who's next?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Sport Billy, Jan 15, 2019.

1. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Not really. Next to The Domain, a well developed commercial district. That’s why I didn’t say “downtown.”

2. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadium currently under construction is meant for USL Championship, not MLS. It is my understanding that whole new stadium would be built when or if they are granted an MLS expansion franchise.

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they have the chump change to build a USL stadium AND an MLS soccer specifice stadium? Thats a pretty imposing pocket book

aetraxx7 repped this.
  4. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1054 Ciro Di Marzio, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    I'd love to see MLS go up to 40 teams one day. I know some might say the talent pool would be diluted but I honestly don't believe that because the amount of talent in soccer internationally is unmatched by any other sport and every other North American league has more than 30 teams ..

Split it into 8 divisions of 5. (4 per conference) 20 teams per conference - The teams do not necessarily need to be closest to each other geographically as long as they are within the same conference. For ex: NYCFC, Orlando. Columbus, New England, and Montreal.

Every team plays each team in their division home and away (8 games)

They play 1 game against every division opponent within their conference. This could be home or away. (15 more games - Total: 23)

They play against every team from 2 divisions in the opposing conference, games could be either home or away (10 more games. - Total: 33). - Right now a regular season is 34 games. (Every year they play 2 new divisions

Top 4 teams per conference (Division winners) get a BYE to the R16 with teams 5-12 playing the first round. 5v12 6v11 7v10 8v9. Winners progress and reseeding done with division winners for the R16.

Having 1 less game in the regular season will allow for this extra round or "play-in" with the division winners. Rivalries will be formed with teams in your division because of the importance of those 8 games (Right now there aren't that many regular season games that are THAT important). That said, teams still have a very fair shot of making the playoffs (or even finishing ahead of a team in their division who might have a better Divisional record) with 25 more games against teams outside of their division to come top 12 within their conference.

The bottom 8 within both conferences (16 total) are put in a weighted lottery draw for the #1 draft pick, the teams that came top 12 per conference (24 total) will be seeded by ranking 17-40th.

Obviously we are FAR from seeing a MLS with this amount of teams and this wasn't meant to be something I think SHOULD be done, it's more of a dream really because I think this would be pretty cool and fun to see.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  5. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'd love to see Pheonix, Detroit and St. Louis come in to the league sooner rather than later.

Renzi and aetraxx7 repped this.
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ciro Di Marzio repped this.
  7. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that Sacramento seems to be roadkill. Everyone seems to think Las Vegas and Phoenix are the front runners for team 30. Don't be surprised if Detroit comes out of no where to capture the 30th franchise. Detroit have a very powerful ownership group which has been patience, waiting for their opportunity. The Don has already stated that the franchise fee has gone up, therefore they are a group that could easily fork out 350-400M for the expansion fee.

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im thinking its going to be Vegas just given the current sports market and climate, I suppose any of the aforementioned are just as reasonable. Can San Diego pull something together possibly/

9. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think San Diego is a nonstarter at this point. Losing the Chargers won't help them because it's almost like they lost their "major league" credibility. Sure, they still have the Padres, but I think the market is pretty much dead for MLS (or the other sports' major leagues) now that that happened. Having sexier markets like Vegas and Phoenix nearby doesn't help their case any.

10. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm fine with any of the franchises listed above. San Diego would be cool but I think Vegas or Pheonix should be given a franchise first. I'd also like to see a Detroit team enter the league. I can see all 4 cities getting franchises by 2030.

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    St. Louis say "hi".

Ciro Di Marzio repped this.
  12. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St Louis is a different beast altogether. Kroenke was the primary driver behind that move. StLbis a traditional soccer "hotbed" close to, yet far away from regional rivals; the city was a big hole in the map. Plus they still have the blues and Cards.

13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The map thing might be a fair point, but San Diego also still has other pro sports aside from the Chargers, so the Blues&Cards aren't a big differentiating point.
    I'm not a subscriber, but it was shared in another thread I watch:
    If you're aiming for 32, then three of those five seem the likely candidates.

TrueCrew repped this.
  15. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have to say I disagree with you about San Diego. It is my understand that Landon Donovan's have been in regular contact with MLS expansion committee. The issue last time was the stadium. Well the stadium is no longer an issue with the new SDSU stadium under construction. In addition SDSU is interested in letting the MLS group management the stadium events, so it sounds similar to the arrangement that the LA Galaxy have with CSUDH. The next step to see how the ownership group would be made and if they are willing to pay a 300M expansion fee. I have all from the initial group except for Nick Stone and Steve Altman, and have added Andrew Vassiliadis and Warren Smith from the San Diego Loyal.

16. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they are aiming for ultimately 32 clubs then I would hope the three would be Detroit, Phoenix and San Diego.

TrueCrew repped this.
  17. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll buy that. With Donovan involved and if the stadium gets sorted out, then I could see it.

18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, I think 36 is the ultimate goal. 4 divisions of 9. Play div foes twice (16) + conference foes once (9) + one division in the other conference once (9) = 34 games.

Taking our 29 + the 5 listed above + 2 (Indy + SA)

Western Conference:
    Pacific: LAG, LAFC; SJ; Sea, Port, Van + SD, Sac, Vegas.

Mountain/Plains: COL, RSL; FCD, Hou, Aust; SKC, STL + Phx + 1 (SA?).

Atlantic: DC, NYRB, NYCFC, Philly, NE, Orl, Mia; Atl, Cha.

Central: CLB, FCC, Nash; TFC, Mon; Chi, Minny + Detroit & Indy.

Obviously, depending on who is added, and who is not, you can switch the divisions around.
    -------

You could keep the same schedule format with 40 teams, but would need 38 games (18+10+10).

Pick 4 from: TB, Raleigh, SF/Oak, Balt, Cle, Pitt, Mil, OKC, Louisville, NO, Memphis, etc.

19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Garber has said that he doesn't want any more conferences.

In two leagues of 18, teams could meet each other twice for 34 games then only play inter-conference games in the playoffs.

However, I can't see the owners approving a system where New York never gets to play LA in the regular season.

If only someone could think of an alternative way of splitting 36 teams into two divisions :D

aetraxx7 repped this.
  20. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF, Why do you guys keep think the league will expansion above 32 clubs. Their are not enough Billionaires to support that kind of expansion. By then you are talking about expansion fees above 600M to 1B. The reason that MLS has so much interest currently is because the expansion fees and startup costs are considered to be reasonable compared to the other four North American professional sports leagues. But when expansion fees head north of 400M your pool of candidates shrinks dramatically. I think the expansion fee for clubs 29 to 32 will stay around 300M. So, with this in mind in order to reach 32, me thinks it will be Phoenix in 2024 (after the Qatar World Cup), easing worries about playing in the heat due to new cooling technology. Followed by San Diego and Detroit or perhaps a darkhorse candidate like Tampa, Indianapolis or Louisville in 2028.

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sacramento’s only saving grace is they seem just as far back as everyone else right now, but with all the legwork done. Not one City or owner even in the Tampa bay orNew Mexico range has issued a come and get me plea to the league . No “mls ready” Twitter announcements. Silence. Unless something changes MLS might actually be fine with a 2024 entrance to the league assuming they can find new investment.

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill Edwards was shovel ready at Tampa. They even had a local referendum to approve the MLS stadium plans. But he sold to the Rays organization.
    Screenshot_20210314-220247_Chrome.jpg

aetraxx7 repped this.
  23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m a little surprised Tampa wasn’t given more due diligence . The Mutiny ptsd is real. Freely admit they had my favorite uniforms when I was a kid

24. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed your quote "But Garber has said that he doesn't want any more conferences" Can you please share a web link to support this statement. This is the first time I have ever heard such a statement for the Soccer Don about future alignment. Also I have never heard the Soccer Don, speak of expansion past 32 clubs. In fact he has been pretty adamant about expansion ending at 32.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He said it some time ago. I don't have the quote to hand and if I search on "Don Garber conferences" Google gives me a million press conferences. I was disappointed when he said it as I think the current travel burden is a bit much for the Texan and Cascadia teams.