Who's next?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Sport Billy, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    #726 Brian in Boston, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    The Baupost Group, LLC bid calls for an investment team headed by Boston-based, billionaire hedge-fund manager Seth Klarman to purchase the USL Championship's Las Vegas Lights from Brett Lashbrook. While the team continued to compete in the USL Championship out of Cashman Field, the proposed 25,000-seat, domed stadium for a Major League Soccer franchise would be built on adjacent property of the 62-acre Cashman Center site. Once the new stadium was completed and Major League Soccer franchise rights had been secured, the Las Vegas Lights FC branding would be shifted to the MLS team. The current Cashman Field site would be maintained as the training center for the MLS team. The remainder of the Cashman Center acreage - everything other than the domed stadium and training site - would be redeveloped by The Renaissance Companies as a mixed-use space including hotel and residential components.

Per the Las Vegas Review-Journal of June 5, 2019:

"The plan is for the team to be sold to Baupost if a development deal is reached, play at Cashman Field until the new stadium is ready and then use the old field for practice upon joining the MLS as its latest expansion franchise."

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/...es-challenge-in-golden-knights-owner-1679634/

2. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ==============
    Thats quite a detailed plan with many moving pieces.
    I know its just an artist rendering, but doesn't look like a dome, unless its retractable and the picture is showing it open.

3. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Per ESPN.com:

"The stadium is an engineered ETFE domed stadium roof that is a translucent plastic that allows enough daylight in to bring an outdoor feel to our 25,000-seat facility, but it will also give our fans a fully indoor stadium," said Klephart via email.

That is in line with a recent requirement that MLS is putting on expansion hopefuls who reside in locales with high summer temperatures. At last summer's All-Star Game in Atlanta, Garber said, "I believe that if we're going to be in communities like [Las Vegas], we need indoor stadiums," he said. "We can't schedule all of our games at night in every city across the country."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-l...28/las-vegas-mls-plan-includes-indoor-stadium

4. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phoenix needs to get ahold of those guys.

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://amp.sacbee.com/news/local/article234898582.html

It happened........It has finally happened. Sacramento, after all of these years of waiting.......is INNNN Literally the only thing that could have kept me interested in soccer after Greg Berhalter's embarrassment today......happened.

TrueCrew and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    congratulations!!!

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me add my congrats as well. Long time coming.

OWN(yewu)ED and USSoccerNova repped this.
  8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    This might be a bit of a tangent for this subforum, but it sounds like Sac is about to get NWSL in 2020 as well:
    https://equalizersoccer.com/2019/10/17/2020-nwsl-expansion-sacramento-republic-advanced-discussions/
    Lots of D1 soccer about to come to Sacramento!

9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish the Haslams would go for a NWSL team as well. But heck, cannot ask for too much too fast. They have already dropped a ton of $$$$ on the project, and the Crew are the only team without an affiliate in USL.

10. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    You are but the only team without a USL affiliate, but

TrueCrew and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do you think the crew would go for that??

12. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So stoked for that first game vs the Earthquakes

13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've never heard the phrase: "go for it?"

FWIW, there is a women's team in Columbus, the Columbus Eagles, just not at NWSL level.

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats gonna be a bittersweet one for me. Ive been a quakes fan since day one of the league. I know there will be a synthetic rivalry created, but I wont bite on that even a second.

mangerson repped this.
  15. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Synthetic? Quakes/Sacramento have the ingredients of a real rivalry... Close proximity and a couple of matches a year. As they say, 'familiarity breeds contempt.'

The rivalry may seem synthetic at first, but give it time. It with fester properly into a real one over the years.

17. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be a wonderful spectacle. And there should be no need to rush the rivalry. It will develop naturally if given the time.

I'm a Quakes fan too, but tbh as an East Bay native SJ has never quite felt like my team. Really looking forward to USL East Bay down the line.

18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think every SJ fan in this scenario is going to go about it in their own way; somewhat of the grieving process.

19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Ideal would be USL-C in Cleveland but training in Columbus most of the week. And a NWSL team in Cbus.

Bezbatchenko says getting a USL team is a priority but someone else owns Cleveland rights for USL. So we may have to settle for a farm team far away. The NWSL team isn't imminent.

Tobias C, TrueCrew and TarHeels17 repped this.
  20. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Or Pittsburg. Heck, they could keep their current badge. It's similar enough to the Crew's.

I imagine a future Dayton team would be an FC Cincinnati affiliate, but who knows.

21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the Browns tie in with the Haslams the Cleveland thinking makes sense. But they could also just put the USL team in MAPFRE. Of course, that would not be an affiliate but a USL team owned by the Crew. Bigger step.

22. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here a idea for the 30th club in Las Vegas!!

Las Vegas Lights FC.png

hipityhop repped this.
  23. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    That's actually a downgrade from their current crest.

24. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today is the day for #29!

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+