Who's next?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Sport Billy, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    29. Sacramento Republic ~ 2020
    30. Charlotte ~ 2020

31. Phoenix Rising ~ 2022
    32. Indianapolis ~ 2022

33. Las Vegas Lights ~ 2024
    34. Detroit ~ 2024

35. West (Oklahoma City, Albuquerque, San Antonio, El Paso, San Diego) ~ 2026
    36. East (Louisville, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Milwaukee, Raleigh, Rochester, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Birmingham, Jacksonville, NOLA) ~ 2026

2. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
  3. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    This guy is tweeting an alternative narrative that they want to renovate BofA:

My bet is they are floating both options to see what flies.

CharlottetownFC repped this.
  4. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte

Yes shortly after the WBTV article Bruno (who is under WSOC) tweeted that the funds are for renovations rather than a new grounds. There is a CBJ article saying the city's commitment would go towards a HQ and practice fields in or near uptown Charlotte. There is not much update on the new stadium but it could be assumed that may come down the line. Bruno also tweeted that renovations would include a side entrance and two more locker rooms, but that seems underwhelming for $200 million when Miami completely redid their digs for $300 million more (around $500 million was spent on Hard Rock).

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlot...ers-seek-up-to-200m-from-city-for-mls-hq.html

5. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say Detroit is behind several cities you have listed for 35 and 36. Detroit, except for some mentions from Garber, is dead.

6. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ----------------------
    I think Charlotte now becomes an issue for the league/city with info all over the media today about $$$$$$
    I always felt NFL stadium even modified is wrong here considering that everyone else coming in-
    STL, NASH, MIA, AUS and probably SAC are all coming in with SSS
    Just because this guy has a lot of money and owns an NFL does not make him a deserving owner.
    And then he has the nerve to go ask the city for $200 mil or whatever.
    Will be interesting to see if the citizens of Charlotte just say no to a billionaire or which way the politicians will go on this considering they just put money into Memorial Stadium construction and have a USL-C lined up to move in. Frankly with the current attendance in Charlotte, stepping up to Memorial will require work to bring crowds, although the in town location will hopefully be better. MLS will need to read the local tea leaves very carefully on this one.
    -
    Having said that, MLS needs a team in North Carolina- good geographical fit in between DC & ATL, a fast growing area, job rich, all the universities and some soccer history.
    Maybe a second look at Raleigh ? SSS stadium plan built within a mixed use development that will produce some cash flow to help with costs. In some ways, somewhat similar to what INDY 11 seems to be working on. The existing USL stadium area can be used for reserves, training, academies to cut some costs their. I guess my real question does the current owner really have deep enough pockets and if not , can more owners be brought in to make it happen.
    -
    Who knows, if Detroit would go back to the SSS plan, maybe they move up. Or if INDY becomes possible if that project keeps moving forward. Will be very interesting to see what plays out.

SteveUSSF_ref8 repped this.
  7. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte

The tax fund he is requesting to use is the same fund NCFC was looking to draw from for their project. The state of NC allows it's counties to commission a tax that is added to hotel rooms in order to generate funding for public tourism projects. The only way this money could be used on parks, housing, etc is if the bill is changed first. But this would be money for a practice facility and HQ from what has been released, there are mentions of renovations but he may go them alone. The Raleigh bid already lost out on the money they asked for and are at the point of trying to fight for a second consideration or find their stadium from a smaller pool that wouldn't satisfy their needs, there is also the need for an investor since Malik is not seen as a suitable investor by the league. Also the county of Mecklenburg, not the city of Charlotte, is paying for memorial upgrades. The city is only pitching in $3 million for turf to be installed. Hard Rock stadium would make a great NFL venue so it's hard to pass judgement until Tepper releases those plans.

8. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't see Tapper getting the monies for Stadium needs from the city or the county for that matter. In fact the city would be foolish to give him a dime. Therefore, if Tapper wants MLS he is going to have to pick up the check himself. But like a typical Billionaire he has his hand out asking the general public to pay the bill. I say NO.

9. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think with this in mind that Las Vegas may have the edge on the 30th franchise, over Charlotte and Phoenix.

10. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    FWIW, the Las Vegas deal has not been announced and may use public money as well. And we also saw Nashville use public money for a stadium so this would not be a deal breaker for any of the bids. The fund in North Carolina (that NCFC and Tepper are trying to use) is a tax added to hotels strictly for the purpose of funding tourism projects, it would be foolish not to ask for some of it if the money is there.

TrueCrew repped this.
  11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #711 OWN(yewu)ED, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    I just read that article on Charlotte? 215 million?! yeah, thats your dagger for Charlotte. Your move Raleigh..... (or vegas or phoenix)

12. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what why MLS doesn't jump all over the Phoenix application. They have a stadium plan that is shovel ready and doesn't require any public money. The ownership group includes a Chinese Billionaire and world renowned Soccer Player. Also the soccer culture is there with Phoenix Rising selling out 2nd division games. They seem to be a no-brainier. Why the delay?

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am equally bewildered by it. This is the time to strike the iron while its hot. And while I dont think it is Las Vegas OR Phoenix (it can be both), Vegas getting in first could allow others to beat that drum of it being only one or the other.

Additionally, Phoenix's USL team is in blazing hot form showing great attendance numbers.

14. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps they are intrigued by two competing bids in Vegas, similar to when Minnesota was on the expansion hunt.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im thinking thats the case too. Vegas is the new shiny object in American sports, and you cant really blame them. Given the 215 million LOLZ bomb that just got dropped in Charlotte, I gotta think Vegas is now favorite for 30.

Phoenix really needs to start kicking up some dust too to remind MLS that they exist as well.

16. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree you percent

17. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because MLS would like to go with the bid where the public pays the MOST, not the least. That way, their soon to be billionaire boys club brother pays the least.

Just a theory.

CharlottetownFC repped this.
  18. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ----------------------------
    Vegas vs. Phoenix
    -Vegas, No MLB during summer. No current NBA, but with so many arenas in the city, that wouldn't take much to happen. I just don't think there soccer history is that good, not that Phoenix up until the Rising was much better.
    I think Vegas may draw more international visitors and if you could somehow tie that into travel or hotel packages, that may be an option.
    _Phoenix, has all the other big 4 sports, but several have stadium/area issues. The plus for Phoenix if ownership pays for the stadium, as I don't think there is a taste in the publics mind for forking for a stadium. Phoenix with all the suburbs has a larger population than Vegas and a slight better soccer history, although a lot of that is visits by both US and Mexico national teams.
    --
    SO, up to this point, to me its a wash, although i could give Vegas a slight edge as 2 less sporting franchises in town.
    -
    What would give me a clear choice, if one of these cites/teams build a enclosed stadium for soccer.
    It can simply be a much smaller version of the Cardinal dome, and the slide out field so grass is used.
    I simply feel, with climate change an issue going forward, a dome is going to be a necessity. It's one thing to build a stadium to shade or cool the fans, its yet another to make the field of play bearable for the players and I just don't see how you do that with out being indoors. Even if you front load and back load the schedule for early and late season games and push the starting time to 8pm (or later), there is only so much you can do.
    -
    Aside from the merits of which city would support soccer, does any one else worry about playing in the desert in the summer? Yes, i know Rising do it not, but I also bet you there would be a lot of players not interesting in playing in these towns. Yes, no humidity , but dang hot is hot.

19. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    The argument of Vegas drawing away fans because it’s Vegas is, like, the parody of our city locals laugh about. We average 7k for a losing USL team in a 1950s dump AAA baseball stadium in a crappy part of town. You think those are tourists?

20. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    The Las Vegas proposal put forward by billionaire Seth Klarman of Baupost Group and project manager The Renaissance Companies does, in fact, call for both a roof and a roll-in field.

According to ESPN's Jeff Carlisle on May 31, 2019:

"According to Renaissance chairman Floyd Kephart, stadium architect Populous has already come up with a preliminary design, one that will account for the city's brutally hot summers. With average daytime highs in June, July and August exceeding 100 degrees, the venue will be domed with a retractable field."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-l...28/las-vegas-mls-plan-includes-indoor-stadium

Per the Las Vegas Review-Journal of June 5, 2019:

"The preliminary stadium proposal calls for a covered roof with a retractable field and 25,000-person seating capacity."

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/...es-challenge-in-golden-knights-owner-1679634/

OWN(yewu)ED, canammj and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  21. DCW531

DCW531 Member

City SC
    Jan 31, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    Yes, this...
    My niece is attending Baylor University in Waco, TX. Their last two home football games, turf temps have been 186 degrees (players and staff shoes were melting) and 148 degrees. Both games were in the 3:00 local start time.

22. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Vegas is one of those places that people would travel to just to visit. That would make it a place were a team supporter might put at the top of their list for an away game. I'm not sure what other cities would fill that bill...

That said, you may need a slightly larger away supporters section than other teams, but it wouldn't be enough to justify a team in its own.

owian repped this.
  23. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ==================
    Very interesting (having heard not much about it here in LA) Obviously makes a good road trip :thumbsup:
    Could they build it on the site of the existing Cashman or do they have another site in mind?
    When they say "Downtown", walking distance to Fremont Street- I know Cashman not too far, but if they are using another site, as close as Cashman is?
    If on the Cashman site , could they play at the old UNLV stadium or play a couple at the Raiders new place until their place is done? Obviously not a problem if the site is not Cashman.

24. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ----------
    No, but Vegas being Vegas you may have to plan for more "tourist type" visitors to your games like the post below.
    Fans in all sports, not just soccer, plan trips that way. Know a guy who plans his golf trip in places where he picks up a sporting even or team he wants to see.
    I just came back from 3 soccer games and 2 baseball games inside of 8 days (MSP-CIN-ATL) as another example.
    I am just saying a Vegas team "could" market the team on 4 levels==
    >A supporters section of the local soccer "core" fans
    >Then your regular season ticket holders- locals who love the game, but not supporter style
    >Your luxury box type- corporate or those who like it upscale- I could see a local hotel getting a box or suite (?)
    >And the fourth one is to figure out a tie in to traveling tourists- especially from outside the states, who want to package a game with that hotel- gambling- golf visit to Vegas. A quick thought is what countries/airlines fly to Vegas?
    I am sure some Asian countries, I think the British Isles have flights, Canada & Mexico too.

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vegas has plenty of premium real estate downtown that would work. There can be like, 27 backup plans in downtown las vegas and it would still work. If one site didnt work, they could move to one almost just as good without skipping a beat. One of the few cities unique to that in that regard. You can thank the sprawl-y set up for that. Theres acres of real estate right by McCarren even. The key is the las vegas city council, which last go around was surprisingly fickle in response to a SSS. Hopefully theyre more open minded to it this go around.