Who's going to win the US Open Cup this year?

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by Revolt, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's going to win the US Open Cup this year?

2. FWSCKEEPER

FWSCKEEPER New Member

Aug 22, 2001
    The Summit City
    It's going to be Chi. Fire vs. Charleston Battery in the Final. The beasley boys going head to head proffesionally for the first time.
    The Fire will win of course. Where is the final being played this year???

3. SocrStopr13

SocrStopr13 Member

Apr 29, 2001
    I picked KC to win it even though I know LA and Columbus are probably better sides. LA will be exhausted with their road trip they're on and competing in the Concacaf Cup and Peace Cup will wear them out. The Crew also played four more extra games then everybody else in the Champions Cup and no team has repeated in the Open Cup in a long time.

4. LaVolpe's Mustache

LaVolpe's Mustache New Member

May 20, 2003
    Mulletville, Mexico
    VB Mariners all the way ...

How long has it been since Roy Lassiter, Dante Washington and Roland Aguilera all appeared in the same bigsoccer.com thread?

5. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    FWSCKEEPER: Just to let you know. The Charleston Battery are not in the US Open Cup this year. Virginia Beach Mariners won the 2nd leg and defeated the Battery on goal differential.

1st time that I have seen it. Amazing.

6. MetroStars96

MetroStars96 New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    none of those teams in the poll...The MetroStars are the hottest team in the nation right now and are continuing to dominate. They will bring home their first trophy.

7. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    hmmmm.. hmmmm. ;)

8. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Metros might be sans Mathis and Howard by the time Round 3 rolls around.

9. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like you're speculating here, I'll do the same.

By the time the 3rd round and mid-July rolls around, the U.S. will be in the Gold Cup. I do believe Arena has stated the Gold Cup is more important than the Confederations Cup.

But, if Howard and/or Mathis are in the Confed Cup roster they could be excluded from the Gold Cup roster.

I could see Arena taking close to two different squads.

Now, if you're referring to one or both being transferred, then yes, they could both be gone. The better bet would be Howard, unless Mathis keeps scoring.

In any event, MetroStars would need to worry more about the 4th round, not the 3rd.

At this moment they would be my pick to win the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup.

But, keep an eye on Los Angeles Galaxy. Their results thus far only mean they can't win on the road. Once they get into a groove from playing home games - assuming they can win - they'll be much better as the MLS season rolls along.

10. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    Kansas City. I just have this feeling that they're explosive offense may just pull it off. There will definitely not be a repeat of last year's Open Cup debacle with Rochester (or was it Milwaukee?) Either way, I think Kansas City has a potent enough offense and enough drive to just pull it out (unless they start Bo in goal.)

11. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
  12. OriginalAEK

OriginalAEK New Member

May 6, 2003
    Syracuse, NY
    Metro "FING" Stars!

13. RhinosBoy21

RhinosBoy21 New Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Rochester NY, but or
    As a huge A-League and Rhinos fans, i will say there is no A-League club that will even make it to the final four this year.

Virginia Beach is very good, but compared to MLS clubs their defense will not hold up against a solid MLS attack.

Rhinos are also good, but compared to MLS, we will have real hard times scoring 1 or 2 goals vs a MLS defense. Our offense isn't that good, MLS teams have enough skill to score 1 or 2 goals against our defense which is solid, but our offense will have trouple scoring on MLS clubs.

14. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The defending champions.

15. GMan Eric

GMan Eric Member

Aug 28, 2000
    The Brougham End
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Raleigh CASL Elite. Why not? :D

16. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Beasleys met in the 2000 playoffs.

Also, Jamar is now with the Indiana Blast.

17. ToledoCrew

ToledoCrew New Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Toledo
    It'll be a repeat for the Crew. Along with the Double of course.

18. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Hopefully VA Beach will win, they at least play with flair unlike almost every MLS squad.

19. Revs Fan Forever

Revs Fan Forever New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    somewhere in MA
    REVS ARE GOING TO KILL!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Fireball_Dan

Fireball_Dan New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Palos Park, IL
    It's practically impossible to predict cup winners until at least the semifinals in my opinion.

21. mojo_records

mojo_records New Member

May 30, 2003
    Hanford Cali
    fresno fuego (PDL) are unstobable, i predict they will make it very far in the USOC

22. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am seriously looking forward to see how they do against El Paso. I've heard their GM on the SoccerFanatics radio show a couple of times and he's a real gentlemen and a class act. By all accounts Fresno usually quashes the competition they face and now that they're stepping up a level or two it'll be interesting to see how they do.

Also, if they win, I might get to go see them play at the HDC v. the Galaxy and I could root them on. :)