Who's GM is the bigger liar ?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by "Red" Foley, Aug 22, 2002.

1. "Red" Foley

"Red" Foley New Member

Jul 6, 2001
    Right, Todd, you've been busted by Li'l Frank on the "all decisions are mine" tirade from a couple weeks back, but let's see if you are ready for the top flight. Can you hang with Nick Sakiewicz ?

Nick is true to his Metro colours, perhaps the slimiest creature on God's green earth, but he may have some competition.

Let's rewind the tape, shall we ?

Todd sez that all MLS trades are "buyer beware" and that it's futile to request a physical cos all the players work for the same corporate office.

Then explain this, from the Herald-News, a New jersey newspaper:

"Sakiewicz's comments regarding a potential trade for Wolff have clearly annoyed Fire officials in the latest episode in what has become one of the league's most heated rivalries. The two teams came close to pulling off a trade last year that was to send then-Metro Billy Walsh to Chicago for midfielder Sergi Daniv before one of the players failed a physical."

We already know that Chicago are smarter than us, so it shouldn't come as a shock that Bradley or Wilt might ask to see if a player is healthy before trading for him. The Mutts, well, I reckon it's painful to admit, but since they managed to pull the wool over our ears with the trade, they must be smarter than us as well.

Or at least better at lying about it.

The whole article is here:
    http://www.njhn.com/page.php?level_1_id=3&page=4670118

Cheers,

"Red"

2. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Considering the fact that Sakiewicz was saying on the day of the trade that the Metros got the better of the deal it's hard to say that they aren't smarter.

3. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you didn't answer the question as to which one is the bigger liar.

4. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    In all honestly, I pay as little attention to the Metros management as possible. While I wouldn't have any idea who is the bigger liar, I think that Todd does a better job of confusing the issue/not answering questions. But, again, I still didn't answer the original question.

5. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    There's a difference between a liar and ignorant, whether it be intentional or convenient.

Sakiewicz, in this instance, wins hands down. I don't think Smith's a liar. On the other hand, to Specious Sakiewicz, lying comes very naturally.

Does that make sense?

6. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, how is being "intentionally ignorant" all that much better than being a liar?

7. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Mike: There are plenty of people who are in denial or simply ignore the facts. There are plenty of them around us. Doesn't make them liars, though.

8. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Smith is not a liar, just ignorant.

Still reason enough to hit the bricks.

9. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dag, dawg. He may have been ignorant about this one item (physicals). Honestly, I don't know - I'm supposing.

Based on my limited dealings with Todd, I don't think he's a liar (least he's never lied to me). I don't believe he's ignorant. It's possible he may have been VERY CONFUSED regarding the issue surrounding physicals/trades. Ignorance? I guess it could be.

10. John Lewis

John Lewis New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    Boston
    Note: None of the Revolution players heading down I95 to the Swamp had physicals prior to the trade either.

No lie.

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    It's just a ***************ed up situation people.

The Magpie

12. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    I understand that it's been common knowledge for some time but it still absolutely floors me that the Revs made this 6 player deal and didn't insist on physicals for the guys they were getting.

Even if the Metros didn't bother, it's absolutely moronic to make such an important trade and not check out the guys you're getting.

Can you imagine the uproar in this town if the Red Sox did something like that? Every columnist in town would be calling for Mike Port to be fired immediately.

If you're really serious about the lip service you're giving to putting the best possible product out there for the fans, you owe it to us to make sure you know whether the players you're getting are healthy.

I still want to know why this happened? Was it an oversight? (in which case you can draw your own conclusions about everyone who signed off on this deal) or was it simply that the team didn't want to spend money on 3 physicals because they're trying to watch costs?

It's one of the two.

13. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    Lets not confuse the issue here. Serna is out for the year with an injury that he sustained IN A REV UNIFORM--not that he had when he was traded to the Revs. It was known, before the trade, that Serna had an older knee injury but he had been playing on it for a long time. That old injury had nothing to do with the one he sustained in the Rev - MUTT match. When he was traded he was fit for the trade.

The custom and policy re "Physicals at the Time of a Trade" in MLS is a separate matter. Frankly, the way they move players around under single entry I don't think anyone cares too much if there is a physical or not. Get rid of single entry and let the teams own their players and things would change immediately.

14. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Also keep in mind that when the whole Walsh for Daniv trade went bust, Nick said it wasn't completed because he didn't realize that Daniv counted as an SI.

JMac

15. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where the heck is he anyway. I haven't tried to hard but I can remember seeing other injured players on the bench at home games. Is he there? It seems like he has disappeared.

16. rscaramelo

rscaramelo Coach/Hack Defender

May 5, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get on the plane Tattoo!

I'm not a doctor. I know from personal experience that when you are playing injured you tend to overcompensate "healthy" limbs, body parts, etc. Serna is probably injured due to the older injury.

Let's put it this way...the Revs F'ed up by acquiring expensive damaged goods. The Revs always seem to mess things up since Tattoo came aboard because the structure of the organization is STUPID. Todd seems to be the "boss" when Tattoo is really the BOSS/Kraft soccer zen master. What he does, nobody here knows. I feel bad for Todd because he probably could do a pretty good job here if he was the sole man in charge. Too many chefs! Anyways, while we didn't have the greatest teams with BOD in charge, we did have a friendly front office and an entertaining team with him here.

RC

17. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um... Why would the Revolution players have physicals PRIOR to the trade?
    Which, in my mind, is reason enough to be SURE someone looked at his knees.
    Why doesn't this surprise me?
    From what I've heard, the best guess is that he's back in Colombia, but no one in the organization really knows exactly where he is, and that they're not happy about it. That's why I kept saying all along that he's history at the end of the year.
    Exactly.

18. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    George, I think the issue wasn't to re-hash the physicals question, but to call into question the competence of someone who says MLS clubs "never" require physicals because of the corporate structure of MLS, when here is a newspaper article saying that another deal was nixed because a player didn't pass a physical.

Whether the newspaper got it wrong, as some suggest, or whether that makes someone a liar or ignorant is another matter.

Either way it doesn't look good if the top guys are either misinformed of the operating procedures or covering something up.

Tom