Who's better..Helder Postiga, Ricardo Quaresma, or Cristiano Ronaldo?

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by WizardOfTheDribble, Aug 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speaking as an average English football fan, the Portuguese National Team looks to be a real contender for Euro 2004 and Germnay 2006.

I've only seen flashes of these 3 ,and one live match on T.V, when they starred for Portugal U-21's in March, against England.

Hard to judge on such limited evidence, but I thought Quaresma was absolutely breathtaking - the most gifted player I'd seen in years.

I was shocked that Utd didn't follow up their interest.Anyone know why they didn't?.

Is Cristiano Ronaldo as good as Quaresma, or have Utd gone for the wrong one?.

How would you compare the 3 of them?.

....and when you add Deco into the mix, the future for Portugal looks absolutely stunning?.

....Finally, how highly is Hugo Viana rated?.He seemed to be last year's Portuguese Superkid, and he's been a major disappointment?.

Seems to lack pace, and doesn't looks suited to English football?.

2. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    this is what i think are attack will be by world cup 2006

................tiago........................
    viana.........Deco............quaresma
    ........postiga.......ronaldo............

i say quaresma is the best...

viana is still gonna be a great player..last season he had a couple injuries that stopped him from playing his best..when he was healtyh finally, he scored 2 goals in the last couple games for newcastle, i expect hell have a great season this year

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I agree Tiago is the better player and he my leave for Barcelona after the Champions league games with Lazio, also better then the three is the U19 Hugo Viana at Newcastle, got more caps with the Portuguese national team.

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Hugo Viana my not get his chance at Newcastle but he still gets his caps with the national team.

5. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Of the threesome of Ronaldo, Quaresma and Postiga, I think Postiga is the most ready of the three at the moment. Both Quaresma and Ronaldo have tons of potential, but they are both still teenagers (Ronaldo, 18; Quaresma, 19). For that matter, Postiga is still pretty young himself at 20.

Postiga was a regular for the last two seasons in what turned out to be one of the best teams in Europe. Last year, Postiga was the first choice striker, and he had a monster season for Porto. I think he is going to have a big season for Spurs.

Quaresma broke into the Sporting A team during the 2001 - 02 season. He, along with Viana, were the two surprise inclusions by then coach Lazlo Boloni. While Viana cemented a berth in the starting 11, Quaresma usually came off the bench for the Lions, but his potential was very evident. Last season, he become Sporting's starter at right wing and had a very strong season. In my opinion, he would have been best served by one more year in Portugal. Despite his flashes of sheer brilliance, Quaresma still needs to learn the game and get more consistent.

Ronaldo is where Quaresma was last year. He was supposed to be in Sporting's starting 11. Like Quaresma, he has displayed flashes of what is to come. But also like Quaresma, he still has much to learn. While Quaresma will have an impact with Barca this season, I would expect Ronaldo to only make occasional contributions to the Red Devils.

Over time, it's anyone's guess which of the three will develop into the biggest star.

6. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    As for Viana, I don't think it is lack of pace that has plagued him so far in his year and a preseason Newcastle. First, he was slowed last year by injuries. If you remember, towards the end of the season, he started playing some serious minutes and he was healthy. He scored goals in his last two games, including a brilliant free kick that put the Magpies in the Champions League.

His biggest issue thus far is that Robson has played him primarily on the left wing. Only problem is that he is NOT a winger, he is a central midfielder. When he is playing in the middle of the pitch, he is as classy a young player as you will see -- brilliant passer, superb touch, nice feel for the game and sharp instincts. He is almost always where he should be on the pitch and his passes are normally where his teammates want the ball. Once Robson can get him into the center of his midfield, you will see the talent this kid has.

7. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Portugal's lineup in 2006 - 2010 could be awesome!

Postiga

Ronaldo - Viana - Quaresma

Tiago - Bosingwa (FC Porto)

As for the defense, one player sure to be there is Ricardo Costa of Porto. Benfica's Moreira will be the likely keeper. It is going to be a very exciting group of players.

8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Vale the goalkeeper for the Porto B team is a better goalkeeper then Moreira.

9. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    dont forget deco and jorge andrade..

10. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    b4 viana moved to newcastle i had heard he was a classy center mid, but at newcastle sir robby bobson only plays him at left wing and i keep wondering why , i heard at the portuguese junior teams he was a center mid along with carlos martins which brings me up to this

i thought carlos martins is supposed to be the most promising out of all the portuguese junior players, like a younger rui costa. how do you guys rate the lad.

11. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    good player but needs to get his chance during a one season with Sporting, can go by a couple games

12. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    I was restricting my choices to players in the 18 - 20 year old range. Both Deco and Andrade are 25-26.

13. Apache

Apache New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    DC
    There is a lot of young talent in Portugal. In terms of young and youngish talent I think the big names have been mentioned:

Hugo Viana (Newcastle)
    Quaresma (Barcelona)
    Ronaldo (Man U.)
    Moreira (Benfica)
    Tiago (Barcelona / Benfica??)
    Bosingwa (FC Porto)
    Postiga (Tottenham)

But let's not forget the less glamorous positions and other players that will contribute and possibly lead in 2006.

Deco (FC Porto)
    Simao (Benfica)
    Hugo Leal (PSG)
    Paulo Ferreira (FC Porto)
    Jorge Ribeiro (???)
    Makakula (Vallodolid ??)
    Andrade (La Corunha)
    Meira (Stuttgart)
    Caneira (Bordeaux)
    Miguel (Benfica)
    Ricardo Costa (FC Porto)
    Ricardo Carvalho (FC Porto)
    Ednilson (Benfica)
    Neca (Belenenses)
    Pedro Mendes (FC Porto)
    Carlos Martins (Sporting)
    Lourenco (Sporting)
    Candido Costa (Darby County???)
    Paulo Costa (Bordeaux)
    Peixoto (FC Porto)

I would go to war in 2006 with the following lineup:

Ricardo
    Caneira - Meira - Andrade
    Bosingwa - Tiago
    Quaresma - Deco - Viana - Simao
    Postiga

Even the B team is no joke.

Moreira
    P. Ferreira - R. Carvalho - R. Costa - J. Ribeiro
    Ronaldo - Ednilson - H. Leal - C. Martins - Neca
    Makakula (or Lourenco/ P. Costa)

14. Apache

Apache New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    DC
    Some additional outliers for 2006. Boy, Portugal sure has a lot of depth moving forward.

Beto (Sporting)
    Ricardo Rocha (Benfica)
    Boa-Morte (Fulham)
    Felipe Teixeira (PSG)
    Felipe Oliveira (Chelsea)
    Vasco Faisca (Vicenza)

15. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
  16. umbra

umbra Member

Aug 19, 2001
    DC
    selecao, you dont think deco can play in 2006 or something?

why'd you omit him?

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    that's got be a first in Portugal

18. Apache

Apache New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    DC
    [Quote:The funniest tidbit is that he was named after Ronald (Ronaldo) Reagan.]

I'lll try not to hold it against him.

Deco should be 27-28 in 2006. Theoretically he should be peaking.

19. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Deco one season at time, is only getting better

20. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    As I said: "I was restricting my choices to players in the 18 - 20 year old range."

Of course, Deco will still be around in 2006. I was thinking primarily about Euro 2008 and WC 2010.

21. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    man..i hope are next golden generation screw up like the last one did...

22. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    could add Frechaut name, he looks like is back from a injured and just signed with Boavista until 2006

23. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    this is the year of Ricardo Sousa at Boavista can he be as good as his daddy?
    his daddy starter with Porto, Sporting and the national team, was part of Porto winning the Championsl league in 87

24. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Sousa's son plays too? What position? What age is he? I always liked his dad's style!

25. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Antonio Sousa son played for Porto, then on loan to Beira-Mar, then to Belenenses, back to Beira-Mar, and know he signed a big contract with Boavista.