Who's available?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by bigtoga, Nov 13, 2004.

1. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Apologies in advance if this has been posted/discussed elsewhere (I looked but didn't see it)...

Let's just say that a big trade was made for an offensive player to leave Dallas. What are the chances that the league throws us a bone this year because of the new stadium? And, since we're dreaming here, the real question then becomes who would be available?

I haven't kept up on college soccer in a few years so I don't know if there are any superstars out there to be found. And I haven't seen many/any U17/20 players that were previously unknowns who just exploded onto the scene. All of this leads me to the question -

If a big trade goes through and the league decides to give us a big draft pick/player, who is available?

IWhat's the draft like this coming season - any ideas yet? I'm just trying to guess our prospects of drafting a future superstar (even with the #1 pick).

Also, who's ready to come to Dallas to play? Remember - this is my dream and the league's decided to give us special favors because we've got a new stadium... I can't see any big name players who will put butts in the seats and who will score goals wanting to come here and play. Whoever comes here has to understand that we've just lost a high-powered offensive player (2nd sentence up top, remember?) and are a team that is improving but not likely to be "there" next year. It will require a player with patience who wants to build toward the future...

As I've posted in another thread, I think Kreis is gone (for a draft pick to an expansion team) so we need a goal scorer. The problem I have with this trade is that I just don't see anyone out there whether in the draft or trade market who can fill his shoes...

Any ideas? Can anyone lift my spririts? I mean, I know it's only November but still... I need hope for the New Year :)

2. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I can't imagine RSL trading their 1st or 2nd rounder for Kries, maybe a 3rd and a conditional pick in 2006. However, with that said, lot's of good forwards in this draft. Go look at 3rd Degree and HPI's draft pool.

As for Dallas' 1st round pick, I'm almoast 100% certain it's going to be F Jaime Watson from UNC.

3. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    While not wanting to hijack this thread a different direction, you'd be well advised to research this kid's antics in full prior to investing time into him. You will need an ample supply of pampers and a full time nanny to burp him. I have watched him 3 times. All purely by coincidence. Each and every time he was at the epicenter of wierd irritating behavior. Being at a vantage to overhear his interaction towards teammates and coaches, I was left horrified. On the other hand, adding him to a snoozer of a franchise would instill some high drama anytime he and the other staff and players had to interract. If MLS were large enough to have its' teams staff full time sport's pyschologists, and you felt that he was a decent gamble then I would agree that he is quick and aggressive. However, if you expect him to wait his turn and learn you would be what they call "unrealistically optimistic". Unfortunately for this kid, until he does some real growing up, he has crash and burn written all over him.

Now, his former teammate and onfield sparring partner Lourenco Andrade of the local PDL is/was the best raw talent on the attacking side of the ball in DFW. Unfortunately for him, he is also wound together with silly string. Were it not for the tornados and lightining, you would have witnessed his topshelf stuff in the Burn-Tornado scrimmage. (with few touches, he created space and shot low just a foot wide of scoring in that brief encounter) He was MLS ready last year. However, he and CC would kill each other. Technically and tactically, Lourenco could have been one of the best on the Burn. Did any of you watch this guy? That's a guy a take a chance on.

4. just having fun

just having fun New Member

Dec 15, 2003

I have offically joined the bandwagon of thinking "theodore is a crazy mofo" here on BS... you have just no idea what you are talking about. i think i get the underlying meaning behind all this. Lourenco is hispanic and Jamie is white. maybe if it was Jaime and not jamie, you would like him. you should know first hand of how mexican players are and the antics they pull on the field to gain an edge, and i guess you cant stand the thought of a gringo doing the same things.. i would value Buzz's opinion on this situation seeing as how he knows these 2 guys first hand. Sorry, but i dont aree with you at all on this. here a gringo example for ya, Randy Moss for the Vikings in AMERICAN football was supposed to be this big hassle and the cowboys passed up on him, now some 7 years later, he produces more than any other wide reciever (even TO) znd is so dominant. so whats my point? my point is just because you think you know how a player is doesnt mean he isnt going to produce for the club and i dont think you should try pursuading every on here to believe you. ask someone who is in with him day in and day out at training and off the pitch. maybe my opinion doesnt meana anything though because i know you will write me off as soon as you read it. take some time to actually look at it as the glass is half full instead of half empty..

JHF

5. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    I, along with most of the college soccer world, would be totally shocked if Dallas took Watson with their first pick. They need immediate help and he is 2+ years away from have any impact at the MLS level. He's not dominant at the college level at this time, I saw him today playing UMD and he was no factor against average Maryland defense.

6. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

just stop while you're behind, as usual you have no idea what you're talking about. Just as the other poster says, its so convinient to think that Watson has an antics problem yet you love every hispanic player that passes through the ranks. I have had no reason to agree with you on this one (or any of your views), and I have seen him play, I've even gone to school with him.

7. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Theo, this is exactly what you said about Eddie Johnson, in predicting that he would be worthless this season and that Dallas would be best served by trading him for whatever they could. Watson is currently only 18 years old - there's absolutely no reason to assume that, in a professional environment, he wouldn't mature pretty quickly.

MLS teams have moved away from the draft-for-now philosophy - Eddie Johnson at #19, Edson Buddle at #27 have pretty much proven that this is a horrible way to draft players. I'm sure you've seen more of Watson than me, but if Dallas thinks he's gonna be a star in two years (when he's 20), I'd expect them to draft him. Josh Gros, Jeff Parke, Jordan Cila, etc. have proven that the first round isn't the only place for a team to get immediate help.

8. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Not that I agree with Theo, but I've also heard Watson can be a bit of a problem to get along with. I've heard he and his college coach don't see eye to eye and Watson has accused the coach of benching him because he wants to go P-40. With that said, I love players like that with fire in their bellies, as long as they produce that is(one reason as a Crew fan I like Cunningham so much, until Andrulis sucked the life out of him this year).

The reason I'm sure he'll be picked by Dallas is because I've heard that's the reason he wants to go P-40; Dallas said they'd pick him. I'm not sure what Buzz has heard and if he's heard different, then I'm probably wrong on that.

9. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watson is not close to being ready, but he is one of the top strikers in the draft. Two years would actaully be perfect for FCD, since that is when EJ will almost certainly leave. I do not see Thompson lasting until the fourth pick.

Cheers!
    Sir Drinxalot

10. misoccer6

misoccer6 New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    chapel hill
    So Theo, it's obvious you and your Lourenco Andrade want to play for FC Dallas. Andrade couldn't get along with his PDL players much less the pro players. His own PDL teammates voted him off the team. I quit taking my young kids to the PDL games because of his dirty mouth and unsportsman like conduct. You obviously meant to say Andrada needed the pampers not Watson. Watson has gained the respect of the Coaches, Staff and players of FCDallas. You really need to pay attention to what 3rd Degree has said in previous posts. While there are some good hispanic players, Andrade is not a player FC Dallas needs. From what I'm hearing, Watson is ready to move on to playing at a higher level where everyone on the team is there to play to win and it's not just a way to pay for your college. He'll do just fine where ever he goes.

11. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the Scipionic FCD Super Draft. Any comments are appreciated. I note that, in the past, I have been wrong in the draft predictions with great regularity, though I did win a case of beer from Northside last year.

FCD has two first round picks. With the top pick, I would go with Jamie Wastson. I would prefer Thompson, but I doubt he will be around. Knox is more seasoned, but his knee worries me. Watson, as I and others have posted above, is a project, but he might be coming around just when FCD needs him.

With the pick acquired from New York in the Little Joe Cow trade, my selection is Kevin Goldwaite out of Notre Dame. While there are defenders rated higher, Goldwaite is a natural left back, I weak position with FCD, nut not one that CC or GE want to spend a lot of money on. Right now, the position is occupied by Milton Reyes and Chris Gbandi. As much as I like Reyes, and I like Gbandi more than anyone else on this list, both are a problem on defense. I would use Goldwiate as a substitute for Reyes if FCD gets a lead. I also like CJ Klass out of U Dub, a right back, but he is much like Talley. FCD has a pure defender in Phil Salyer, but Klass has much better speed.

In the second round, with Chicago's pick in the DJ Countess trade, another project, Corey Ashe at left wing. This is another weak spot with FCD, and CC flailed here, starting Quill and Davis, waiting for one of them to win the spot. Niether showed much. Ashe is not an immediate answer, so we will have to hope that the current left wings begin to play with the competence that they have both played with in the past.

If Andrade wants a try out, give it to him. Maybe he needs a more professional and competetive atmosphere. Further, if there is a reserve team, FCD needs to find some players. A sniff of the big leagues could be waht he needs. Theo thinks he is good, we might as well see if he is right.

Of course, this will not happen. CC will make trades that close certain holes and open others, and probably end up with more picks. Still, I think this is an interesting diversion. Looking forward to any comments.

Cheers!
    Sir Drinxalot

12. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Here's a radical idea. Why don't we try to find someone in the draft who can help us NOW. I'm sure this will be declared impossible, but somehow other teams manage to draft Damani Ralphs, Pat Noonans, Clint Dempseys, Josh Gros's, Todd Dunivants, Jim Curtains, etc every year. You know, players that can contribute important minutes in the coaches system immediately instead of sitting on a bench for years "developing."

13. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Well, using Jambon's criteria of help now to resolve this mini-controversy I think even Watson would agree that Andrade is the far more MLS ready player. Andrade is not "my player" nor a guy I like due to the latitiude and longitude of his birth. I do greatly believe that if "winning is the ethnicity" of this team, they give guys like Andrade a look. (BTW, I understand that he is playing in another hemisphere at the moment). Point is that there is great cheap value in talent around. Those of you who watched him give me your honest two cents on what you saw.

Now, I openly stated that Andrade has issues. I know that I am right on both counts with Andrade. Now, let me also state that I have seen the other guy in question more than 3 times. Each of those three times he showed his young behind. At any level, when you are shouting ultimatums to the coach while on the field, you are a loose cannon. Given CC's view of youngsters, I just don't see how either factors in to the CC regime. It would make for some high sideline drama. If Pareja is back next year, he will personally spank young Jamie after a practice of two.

Did any of you witness Andrade's skill and knowledge of the game? I watch a lot of soccer. I don't ordinarily see that type of quality stuff. Of course the reduced time and space create a different performance level. Andrade seemed to have enough game to go up several rungs. I don't claim to know all. What did you guys see?

14. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    There's no reason to think we didn't find a few, or several, of these guys in last year's draft. D.C. found Alecko and Brian Carroll in last year's draft, it just took a different coach to realize they were any good. Without advocating against Colin Clarke, I'm not convinced that Goodson and Wagenfuhr weren't ready to help us last year. Watson wouldn't exactly be a project, he's got one year less experience than this year's rookie of the year, the same as the runner-up.

15. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the draft pool page....
    http://3rddegree.matchnight.com/thirdindex.cfm?page=article&keyword=DRAFTPOOL

I made the pool list deeper than in the past with reserve teams coming, that means multiple pages.

Unless I am way misreading things, Kreis will be exposed in the expansion draft. Which means no trade for picks.

I would not be so sure. There are many factors. Where is FCD picking, who else is going P40, what positions will be of need after the expansion draft. What players will be taken before FCD picks... someone might slide.

Jamie told me he is coming P40, he also said he would like to be in Dallas, but would not tell MLS "Dallas or nothing." In the end he would go where he was taken. "I just want to play at this [MLS] level."

I too heard talk he was benched for saying he was coming P40. I hate to think that was true.

Jamie is the kind of player that draws cards from opponents. He talks trash and get in people heads. He does sometimes yell at refs, coaches, teammates, and opponents. He and Danny Szetela are very alike in that respect and are big pals on and off the field. Jamie also has outstanding work rate, plays tough and scrappy, and does all the dirty work for the fancy players (like Adu).

Off the field Jamie is different. I have talked him many times in his three months training with the Burn. He seems a level headed kid. Is he confident? heck yes. Arrogant? perhaps. But he is a kid who plays in World Championships. You might even call him a bit spoiled being from Coppell. But all the burn players seem to like him. Jason Kreis seems to "take him under his wing" as it were. MLS players will turn on a guest player in a hurry if they think he doesn't belong. Jamie was accepted as a player who did belong in MLS. Of course Jamie also adopted a "just happy to be here" attitude in Burn training. If one can do that while still having a "I belong attitude."

He is a hand full and a "large" personality... but he played in the same team with Adu and Szetela, two even bigger personalities and was fine, in fact calls both of them friends.

Jamie ways he wants to come to Dallas. FCD likes him, but not only him. Keep in mind Ellinger has a relationship with Watson too.

16. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lorenzo Andrade...

I have seen him play twice. He is arguably the best forward in PDL this year... for what that is worth. PDL is essentially Division 4. I would not call him "MLS ready" But I would not call Jamie "MLS ready" either. Just like Watson I am sure Andrade could handle MLS training and be welcomed.

Andrade, to my eye, is a nice offensive talent. He does drift in and out of games... but when he turns it on he is devastating against PDL level defenders. (I believe he is older than PDL college age defenders 25? 27?).
    He is similar to Graziani in style (not talent). Hangs out up top and can be stunning if getting service. If he is not getting service he tends to drift back to midfield to get the ball, falling deeper and deeper. I have seen him coming all the way to the center back to get it and try to carry it the entire way. Granted with some of the PDL talent it is hard to blame him for that.

He does have nice touch, he can turn well and dribble in tight space.... He has good pace and can go by defenders. But I would not call him wonderful tactically.

As for his attitude, I can't add to what has been expressed here before. I have never talked him and I have seen what other fans have from the stands.

But if it were up to me I would invite him for a FCD trial or training stint. I would like to see how he holds up against higher level players. I would like to see his attitude in that environment.

17. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    While you never really know how a draft is going to look before the P-40s are added, I think this year is going to be one faboulous year. I have a feeling there is going to be a record number of P-40s and the senior class is one of the strongest in a long time.

So I think it's going to be possible to pick out a development type player like Watson in the first few rounds, then in the later rounds pick up seniors who can very well come in and contribute right away.

18. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    We have two picks in the first round, assuming New Jersey doesn't keep their first rounder from DC in exchange for multiple picks in a shallower draft next year. I reckon the best situation for FC Dallas would be for Watson to drop to #11 or #12 and take him there while taking the best midfielder available with our natural #4.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I have no objection to Dallas' adding someone with an attitude problem, as long as he gets it done on the field.

20. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano

Nice words about Watson. I'm curious though, how being from Coppell makes you spoiled. I always thought it was how you were brought up and the values your parents taught (or did not teach) that made you spoiled.

So how is he spoiled Buzz?

21. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano

Jamie practiced with them all last summer. The team has no problem with him.

22. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bergin is hinting that trade talks between RSL and FCD for Kreis are pretty serious.

Could be a win-win for both parties. Kreis gets to play, Dallas gets something for him.

What is Kreis worth on the open MLS market? I think a second round pick would be about right.

23. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is sometimes a general perception that Watson is the typical sheltered superstar. This is re-enforced somewhat by his "antics" on the field with collgee, high school, and Youth nats. So in that manner he is spoiled.

There is a preception in the metroplaex that superstar players out of places like Coppel... or Southlake... Or when I was a kid places like Plano West or Arlington Lamar.... are somewhat spoiled or sheltered.

I was not trying to imply that Watson is a "spoiled rich kid" in the general terms of his behavior or his social manner and actions. But he is one of those Star players who came up in the classic system from a affluent suburb. he is not a kid who fought and clawed his way out of poverty or a bad situation.

Don't get me wrong I like Watson both as a player and as a young kid. He has been open and honest with me about his desires and goals and I can respect that. When he came to Burn camp he id all the right things: played and practiced hard, keep his mouth closed, listened to the vets, and tried to learn. I think he will be a sucess in MLS.

But that does not change that fact he has a certain background and reputation to overcome.

24. ihearttheburn

ihearttheburn New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Denton/Plano, Texas
    Plano West class of '04.
    Its a common stereotype. Not all of us are spoiled... just most. =)

I think Ryan can speak up for the Coppell population...

So would this mean that he'd be on the unprotected list? I am so new to this... I'm learning as I go along and I don't want to ask questions cuz then I'd feel really stupid. Can we make trades seperate from the protected and unprotected list? Am I making sense? I guess what I'm saying is does this mean that we'd unprotect Kreis knowing that RSL was going to take him?

25. j.r.'s mom

j.r.'s mom New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Carrollton, Texas
    I'm new to this too, so I may have this wrong. But it's my understanding that teams have a one-day window, which is today, to make trades before finalizing their protected lists.