Who would you rather have?

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by Belem, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Belem

Belem Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Darren Bent of Charlton and Mendes of Pompey or King of Watford and Boa Morte of Fulham? I'm racking my brain on this decision for my fantasy team. Help me, guys?

2. Tangerine Army

Tangerine Army New Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Cincinnati
    Personally, I think Bent and Boa Morte are already at peak price. Mendes, on the other hand, enters his 2nd season with PO, and many times a player will make a nice jump that 2nd season. King is a tougher decision.

3. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    misunderstood the question at first - now i get it. for me, i think bent and mendes are much more of a sure thing. king is a real wildcard in this equation, with significant upside, but no guarantees. if you need two starters, i don't think it's worth the risk. if you can afford for king to be on your bench, then it's a slightly different question. stated another way, i wouldn't mind king as my third forward, but i don't want him as my second. you're not going to want to start him right away, but he's definitely got potential and worth keeping an eye on.

good luck

4. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999

King and Boa Morte

King is priced very low as a newbie into the EPL. He is Watford's scoring machine and should do relatively well in the EPL, similar to Harewood. Hence his price will rise and you can then choose to switch to a higher priced player. Me, I'm planning on King being one of my main players this year. His low price also allows me to get a couple of other high priced mids and forwards.
    I assume the D. Bent / Mendes vs King / Boa Morte is because of the combined value of the pairs.

D. Bent is a better pick than King straight up, but the King/Boa Morte combo is superior to Bent / Mendes. Yes, Boa Morte is that much better a fantasy soccer scoring machine.

Boa Morte is listed as a mid and ofter plays as a striker, good for fantasy soccer combinations. He is fairly valued with a little more upside potential.

5. Tangerine Army

Jul 11, 2006
    Cincinnati
    I think that's you in the BS Cream of The Crop division, Belem? Competing against me? In that case, take Boa Morte and King. ;)

6. Belem

Belem Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not in any of the leagues on this board. I am on other leagues where there is no draft, and I can pick my own players as long as I adhere to the salary cap of 100 mil. As mentioned earlier, my dilemma is Bent(9 mil)and Mendes(5.5 mil) or Boa Morte(8 mil)and King(6.5 mil). My team is as follows:

Goalkeepers:Friedel(Blackburn), Kenny(SU)

Defenders:Ferdinand(MU), Taylor(Por), Richards(Man City), Shorey(Reading), Demerit(Watford)

Midfielders:Nolan(Bolton), Gamst-Pedersen(Blackburn), Arteta(Everton), Cahill(Everton)

Strikers:Berbatov(Spurs), Henry(Arsenal)

With that in mind, who would you rather have to augment the above team?

Bent(Charlton) 9 mil
    Mendes(Por) 5.5 mil or Convey(Reading)5.5 mil

OR

Boa Morte(Fulham) 8 mil
    King(Watford) 6.5 mil

7. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    I don't disagree with your thinking on King - he has big upside (he's in a situation where he should be the #1 option on a team that needs to score). But I stand by my view that it's risky.

Looking at the numbers:

If Bent roughly duplicates last year's numbers (or even a little below), he's looking at 150-185 points, and if Mendes can double his numbers from last year simply by doubling his playing time, he's looking at roughly 100 points, so 250+ total.

If Boa Morte duplicates his numbers, he's at 136, which means that King needs to be in the 120-130 range for this pairing to be more valuable. To do this, he'll probably need to be in double digits in goals, with a few assists to boot. Possible? Sure. But with someone like Henderson lurking around and the possibility that Watford is a comlete bust, it still looks like the first route is a more safer play if you need both players to be starters.

King is a 3rd forward in my ratings, albeit hopefully a really good 3rd forward since he'll likely be on my team and I'd love nothing more than to switch to a 3-4-3 or 4-3-3 and get him on the field if he's scoring regularly. :)

8. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Belem,

I just saw your roster after making my last post. With Henry and Berbatov, I'd definitely lean toward King as a 3rd forward. Just my view, but your better spreading your money that way. If you later decide you want Bent, he's a small upgrade price-wise from Berbatov, and it frees up much needed cash.

I guess that means Boa Morte, but I'd also suggest that you think about picking a 5.0-5.5 midfielder (perhaps Mendes who you've already looked at or someone else), and using the rest of the cash to upgrade your defense. You could swap out a couple of 4.0 defenders for 5.0 defenders and see much for value week in and week out.

Good luck.

9. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    I assume it's Fantasy.PremierLeague.com's fantasy soccer game we're talking about.

On my open, non-drafted team, I have Berbatov and King. I went for Shevchenko over Henry.

I also have Convey among my mids. At 6.5 Convey and King at 6.5, both have good salary increase potential. I always start the FPL season with several undervalued players to ride their price rise. I expect Convey and King to both quickly bust past 7.5 and likely 8. Then you can take your profit, less the FPL tax and invest in a higher valued mid who's dropped in value due to short-term injury, or discipline problems like Rooney's 3-game ban. Rooney's price should fall in those three weeks and perhaps you can make enough to add him to your roster later. Henry, at 14, is the king, but if his hamstring acts up, his value could plumment.

I'm really high on Convey as he takes Readings corners, free kicks, and has pace and puts in lots of crosses from the left wing.

Another highly undervalued player is Jagielka from Sheffield United. His 6.5 value should bust past 7.5 and likely get to 8.

Other cheap undervalued forwards are the Reading strikers Doyle and Kitson, and to a lesser extent due to injury history, Lita. Akinbiyi is also likely to rise in value.

The challenge is deciding how much to invest in players to increase your team value and how much to invest in fully valued and more proven fantasy soccer scorers.

As a discriminator, early in the season, I work hard with weekly transfers to build my valuation. It's not uncommon for my undrafted team to be among the Top 50 teams according to team value. That slides later in the season once I've got enough funds and some in the bank as a reserve so I can get any player I want. You can play the value game again in the January transfer window, but more so if you've built up your team value.

10. Tangerine Army

Jul 11, 2006
    Cincinnati
    That's weird, there's a team called "Belem !" in the division I mentioned.:confused:

11. Belem

Belem Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Yes, that's the fantasy league I am in. Thanks for your responses. Another player who I think is slated for a phenomenal value increase is midfielder Ashley Young of Watford. He is listed as a midfielder in the fantasy league but really plays as a striker and takes all of the free kicks and corner kicks for Watford. He scored 15 goals and had 12 assists last year for Watford. I dropped Arteta and added Young, as I think he will be the Reo-Coker sleeper pick of the year. I predict he'll get 7-8 goals and 8-10 assists in the EPL this season. Watford will need that kind of productivity out of him in order to stay up. I also added Convey for some value increase off the bench as my first substitute, kept striker King, upgraded Rio Ferdinand to Terry(defenders who also score goals are the best commodities out there and also a reason why I have Taylor of Pompey), Shorey for the solid Michael Gray of Blackburn, and SU goalkeeper Kenny for Niemi as his points per game average was very good last year at 4.7, and he will be the starter for Fulham. Gamst Pedersen is keeping the spot warm for Rosicky when Arsenal come back from their bye. ;)

12. Belem

Belem Member

Aug 1, 2006

Really, I'm not, as I recently joined the board. Maybe next year.:)

13. Belem

Belem Member

Aug 1, 2006

Yes, I am in that competition-Cream of the Crop. My bad. I got lost in the fog of these draftable leagues in this section reading post draft anaylses, and it totally slipped my mind. I appreciate the tips I got from you guys and you're welcome for the tip on Ashley Young. :D

14. Belem

Belem Member

Aug 1, 2006

I saw that you made some major transfers after the first game, getting rid of King and Convey and Essou-Kattou. I know you are a major fantasy player, but I would've stood pat for a few weeks. King scored in the second game with three bonus points, and Essou-Kattou will be a major points producer this year. Instead, I would've replaced Gray with Bridge. I had Henry on my bench and got no production from Nolan and Gamst Pedersen and still had 71 points for game 2...and I didn't panic after a 42 point score the first game.

15. 1800-WorldCup

1800-WorldCup Read Nomadic Gatherings - TravelNotes.org/magun

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hal, like myself, would have played the wild card on week one to get players whose value will rise in the short term. Then, it's sell on and by the 'new shakers' until you have enough cash to buy whoever you want and really field a strong side.

In previous seasons, the multiple gameweek 1 transfers has cost the 'stock market' players but, thanks to the new wildcard, we can hold onto our points and remain competitive at the start.

Nice to see you sitting in 6th
    http://fantasy.premierleague.com/M/table.mc?id=1740

:D

16. Belem

Belem Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Yeah, but Hal said Convey and King's values would significantly increase, and he drops them after the first game. I know new players will emerge every year, but players like Campo and Scott Parker will not be anywhere near the top of the fantasy rankings at the end of the year. And when Ashley Cole arrives at Stanford Bridge, Wayne Bridge will be back on the bench or loaned out to a team that doesn't have any chance of consistently getting clean sheets.

17. 1800-WorldCup

1800-WorldCup Read Nomadic Gatherings - TravelNotes.org/magun

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With 61,417 transfers in (currently), there's more price rise in Wayne Bridge yet (although I didn't pick him up). Those who did will then sell when Ashley Cole comes in and have made a tidy profit.

:)

18. Belem

Belem Member

Aug 1, 2006
  19. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    Belem,

In one of your posts you had me dropping Convey and King as evidence that I had a change of heart from my post praising those two players? I temporarily dropped Convey and King in my open FPL team to use my wild card to get a good price increase on my team by trading for 7 or so players who I knew their week 1 value would rise. Be assured, Convey and King are still very high on my radar screen, King especially, after his midweek goal.

I still have both Convey and King on my FPL drafted team. With drafted teams, we are pretty much stuck with who we drafted with the minor squad adjustments from the remaining, undrafted pool of free agents. Our transfers are not like transfers for open teams where you can go get the hottest players. Usually, those are already taken. So we have to pick players we think will earn a following by their form.

I have King on my Yahoo EPL team and had Convey the first week but temporarily switched to a hot week 1 performer as I prepare my Week 2 squad adjustments. Convey will always stay on my radar and he'll become a good cheap option for me in that game.

I have King and Convey on my team in the Auction Premier Fantasy League of Alternative Reality. They are both keepers.

Belem,
    This forum has never been a place where lots of managers compare players. Not that it couldn't be, it just hasn't been, probably because most of this forum is around the two drafted leagues using FPL and FFLO and now the auction league of PFL.

I go to the TeamTalk page to get my Player Comparison information. Even though they are discussing the Yahoo EPL game with its scoring, you can get a good heads up on some dark horse players by visiting that site. That addy is: http://teamtalk.uni.cc/

Hope that helps.

20. Belem

Belem Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Thanks!