Who will you support at Euro 2004?

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by markdickson, Jun 6, 2004.

1. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    A recent survey in the Daily Record revealed that up to 6 in 10 Scots will support the 'Auld Enemy' in Portugal this summer.

Not me I have to say, I don't hate England, I'd just prefer if somebody else won!

But now I'm not sure who to support. Any ideas?

2. Paddster

Paddster New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'd like to see France or Holland do well.

3. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    France, Croatia, Swiss

4. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Im dubious, a teletext poll screamed that scots are supporting england, turns out "less than one third" scots were supporting england.
    Me im behind sweden as always

5. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    HUP THE ORANJE!!

Also would like to see Sweden do well, but I'm backing Holland to the win.

6. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    That Record Poll was ****************, I won't be supporting England.

I'll probably wait until the start of the tournament to decide who I want to win. If France get their arse in gear, they can play some devastating stuff and I would like to see them do well. Spain, Portugal or Holland are also very good footballing sides.

7. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    If you want to find out who you should be supporting as your 2nd team at Euro 2004 try

http://www.whatthefaro.com/

Apparently I'm a German supporter . I'll be working on my mullet and tache between now and the 12th .

I am looking foward to beating England in Penalties .

8. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    Sweeden and the Czech Republic

9. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm torn between England and France. I love many French players, but the same can be said for the English, plus I have some English ancestors. What to do? What to do?

10. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Apparently, I;ll be supporting Switzerland!

11. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Quality.

12. CW1980

CW1980 New Member

May 4, 2004
    Belfast
    I would like to see the Czech Republic win it, and I honestly believe they can.

Don't really care who wins it, ultimately, but Northern Ireland are my tip for the 2006 World Cup...

13. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm supporting Croatia, apparently.

The 'Console a Pole' cards on that site are hilarious.

14. Burkies Ginger Mop

Burkies Ginger Mop New Member

May 20, 2004
    London
    Seems I am supporting Denmark. Always had a soft spot for Holland as well.

15. Tara

Tara New Member

May 14, 2002
    London

6 In 10 will support England. Not bloody likely!!
    In all my years as an England fan I have yet to actually meet one Scot that supports England in any way shape or form. In fact I find that Scots tend to support two teams, Scotland & anyone playing England.

16. Burkies Ginger Mop

May 20, 2004
    London

Would you support us Tara?

17. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    I actually know 3 Scots who support England, all Rangers fans surprise surprise! I won't be supporting England, they are the auld enemy, and I don't know about anyone else but I certainly don't support my rivals! There's no way i'd ever support the Paisley scum and there's no way i'd support England! It's the way it should be!

18. Tara

Tara New Member

May 14, 2002
    London
    I wasn`t actually saying that there was anything wrong with Scots not supporting us I take it as a given now. I was just making the point how laughable the polls findings are.
    Would I support Scotland? Personally no but I do know alot of English do tend
    to give their support to the home nations alot quicker than the home nations give to England. Again I see no wrong in that it`s just the way it is & when people are willing us to lose it just makes it all the more sweeter when we win. Football rivalry you gotta love it!

19. Burkies Ginger Mop

May 20, 2004
    London
    There should be a healthy Rivalry between England and Scotland. There is a lot of History in it! I do know quite a few folk down here who do support Scotland when they are playing. I actually found it very surprising being in the pub, surround by English folk all cheering on Scotland!

20. Burkies Ginger Mop

May 20, 2004
    London
    I've still to meet a Rangers fan who supports England. There is only one scum in that part of the World and thats Morton! The Paisley Panda is a hero of mine!

21. CW1980

CW1980 New Member

May 4, 2004
    Belfast
    I would doubt if they actually "supported" England in the true sense of the word, but many Rangers fans see no harm in hoping that the all four home nations perform well. I remember Ronnie Esplin wrote an excellent article in FourFourTwo about the make-up of the Tartan Army, and how both Rangers and Celtic fans were turning their back on the Scottish national team and that they do not receive much encouragement to return to the fold. Definitely worth looking out.

22. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    I'll see 3 of them tonight, i met loads of them, it's just a reaction to the celtic-ireland thing, it's all very annoying! The paisley panda is a laugh, and another good reason to hate st. midden. I'm lookin forward to winning the renfrewshire cup final again on 24th july :D

23. CW1980

CW1980 New Member

May 4, 2004
    Belfast
    I would also say that it's a reaction to the positively hostile reception Rangers fans receive from those happy-go-lucky media favourites, the Tartan Army. I was at the official opening of the rennovated Hamden Park back in 1999/2000, for the Scotland vs France match. Some sort of penalty compeition for kids was taking place at half-time. One youngster stepped up to take his kick, the stadium announcer informed the crowd that the boy was a Rangers fan, and the majority started booing him!! Not exactly gonna win over many Rangers supporters with behaviour like that.

24. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    That would be the Celtic fans booing him! There are some among the 'tartan army' who would boo anything to do with the old firm but rightly so! They deseve it with their behaviour and don't try to tell me fellow fans could possibly put you off if you loved your country! At Scotland games the celtic fans boo anything rangers and the rangers fans boo anything celtic!

25. Burkies Ginger Mop

May 20, 2004
    London
    If Celtic manage to go on a streak of winning like Rangers did (i doubt it) you will find everyone will hate them as well. Jealousy. Just look at Man U. Everybody hates them.