Who Will Win? USMNT or MLS All Stars?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by nancyb, Aug 2, 2002.

1. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, why not ask the question? The stars of yesteryear, with some current World Cup team members? Or a depleted MLS All Star team? Will there be any defense? What stunt will surpass last year's sports bra exhibition?

2. RUBY223

RUBY223 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Sunnyvale
    Who Will Win? A: MLS All Stars

When I first heard about this game, I thought the national team would be the guys from the World Cup (like with JOB, Reyna, Sanneh...) I really don't think that the Nats will be able to pull off a win, even with LD and Beas.

3. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Honestly, I don't think either side will try very hard, especially not on defense. The main objective of almost all the players should be to avoid injury. I'm sure some of the Americans on the MLS side (Twellman and Howard probably) will want to impress Arena so they might try hard.

4. timmy409

timmy409 Red Card

Apr 3, 2002
    Georgia
    mls cause their all trying to get on national team

5. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    I read somewhere today that the National team players are recieving $2000 for being chosen for the team plus an extra $2000 if they win the game.
    That may be incentive enough for them to put forth the effort for a victory.

6. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

That's right, $4,000 total if they win and a subscription to SoccerAmerica.

MLS is probably offering something like $35 across the board though I haven't seen any firm figures.

Seeing the way the returning USMNT players are tearing up MLS the past couple of weeks I've got to pick them to win by a couple of goals.

7. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    MLS is giving the MLS All-Stars a free trip to Washington DC and a hotel room for the weekend.

8. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USMNT 5
    MLS 4

An exciting, wide-open game ends with an 89th minute GW by Wolff.

Ruiz, Twellman & Ralston all perform superbly.

Meola is solid, but Sommer allows 3 of the four MLS goals.

Donovan, McBride, Cobi & Wolff all play very well & show why they were named to the WC team.

Pleasant surprises: Harkes, Lalas & Henderson.

Of course, all of the above points are speculation, on my part. But they are capable of happening.

One last prediction: 35,000, at least, for RFK!!

9. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ruiz won't score at all and Tony Meola gets revenge for Keller by knocking him on his arse.

USMNT takes it all and schools the MLS boys, but mostly due to the fact that everyone has played with each other under this coach too. Whereas the MLS guys are good, but don't have the time together.

10. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    AllStar Game

Who would Win ? Paulina Rubio or Veronica Paysee ? [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    I say MLS

Its really the MLS all-star game anyway. U.S. is a misnomer. THe "MLS" squad has more to play for and should win a close one. No one really cares who wins. It will be a goals galore. A Score feast. No one ever plays defense in all-star contests. The main thing tomorrow at RFK is not passing out from the oppressive 95 degree heat.

12. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    USA 7 MLS 4
    Goals
    Donovan (USA) 9', 35', 50'
    Wolff (USA) 37'
    Beasely (USA) 73'
    McBride (USA) 17, 60'

Twellman (MLS) 3', 20'
    Kreis (MLS) 43'
    Kovalenko (MLS) 28'

13. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it hadn't been for the HORRIBLE weather, perhaps my predictions could have come true.

The second half, after the weather calmed down naturally, it was an entertaining game.

Cobi's goal was beautiful and very reminiscent of the goal scored by McBride that beat Guatemala in a WCQ in RFK in Sept of 2000 (my FIRST cap with the USMNT).

Chris Klein looked VERY, VERY good, as did Ralston. Didn't see Twellman, but with the field conditions & the weather, it's not a fair assessment of his abilities. Klein & Ralston definitely should get another opportunity with the Nats.

Wish Wolff had been able to play & hope his injury is not serious.

14. donovan9

donovan9 New Member

Nov 19, 1999
    South of Santa Rosa
    I say MLS 3-2.

TD

15. gideon02

gideon02 Member

Jun 22, 2007
    texas
    ruiz has been trash for DC this year though

16. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You do know that you're responding to an 11-year old post, right?